Guess what car I spotted on the road today?!

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

UKDaveJ

Guess what car I spotted on the road today?!

Post by UKDaveJ »

A Maclaren Mercedes SLR! :shock: :D

I was on the A1 (or may have joined the M1 at this stage) on my way back from Consett, County Durham.

I spotted the silver MacMerc F1-style nose in my rear view mirror & promptly spat my cigarette out of my mouth as I swore at a friend, dropped my mobile phone which barely missed my cup of tea... :lol: :lol:

Joking aside, I was on the phone (hands free for a change... :wink: ) & therefore couldn't use the camera facility as the MacMerc calmly wafted past me at i'd guess about 95 - 99mph...., I'm damn sure it wasn't doing 100mph - in the UK that is an instant ban! In a car as rare & instantly recognisable as this one, you'd be foolish to speed on our motorways! :evil:

It was in the rear view mirror that I spotted the car first!

It looked the dogs bollox as it came past - for UK forum members it was on a '53' plate. The driver appeared to be young - the bast**d! :twisted:

The view from the side & rear were spot on!

Man this car is wide!!

What rare/interesting/outrageous/comical etc car have you seen on the 'highway' lately?

Dave 8)
val_c

Post by val_c »

yong driver, car, speed... was the driver looking like this guy?
Hint: The new TVR owner.

Now, when snow is gone, I see sometimed Vipers and Ferraris near my work.
Last edited by val_c on Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe

maclaren

Post by joe »

hi dave, you should have wound down the window and listened to the purr sounds like a spitfire.

later joe
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

When i did my IAM advanced driving test i was driving down a country lane acelerating out of a 30 limit when one of these went past on full chant. My god was it loud. I could not have kept up even if i tried and if i had i would have failed my test. Had i not been doing the test i would have given the six everything to keep up.

Very nice car.

By the way that was on a country lane in Banstead.

James
okartguy

Post by okartguy »

I love Benzes, but I must admit I find the SLR to be hideous. I acknowledge that it's fast, exotic and incredibly engineered, but (especially in side profile) I find it to be truly an ugly car. That said, it would still be cool to see one on the road.

On a related note; the local Porsche dealer has a Carrera GT on the showroom floor. They're a client of mine, so I gave it a through look-see when I was there a few days ago. Gorgeous shape and another stunning performer, but for a "market-adjusted" price of $550k, the b*stards can keep it. Even if I did have that sort of disposable income.

What would I buy, you ask? Let's see, how about a spanking-new Bentley Continental GT, a really cherry Series 1 Jaguar XKE coupe and an equally-stunning late-e24 M6? And I'd still have enough left over for a thick steak, a fine cigar and a really good bottle of wine!

- just my two cents...
UKDaveJ

Re: maclaren

Post by UKDaveJ »

joe wrote:hi dave, you should have wound down the window and listened to the purr sounds like a spitfire.

later joe
joe, my hands were full, what with my phone, tea, fag + of course my sandwiches etc!! :wink: :lol:
joe

re: meclaren

Post by joe »

what no steering wheel dave :D :D

later joe