Bought a Euro bumper on Ebay

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DieInterim

Bought a Euro bumper on Ebay

Post by DieInterim »

Hiya!

I bought a front bumper on ebay and paid $300 for it. It is in good condition but must have been painted 39,001 times; 1/8" thick paint!!! Oh Well, it chips right off. :lol:

Anyways I removed the US bumper and hoisted the Euro up; my goodness, the car looks like it was meant to. Now all I need to do is fabricate some mounts to make it fit correctly and it will be ready for stripping.

Anyone have a lead on a rear EURO bumper assembly?

Cheers,
Blake

BTW - For those that own US cars...do yourself a favor and inspect behind your bumpers for corrosion; most of my bolts were rotting away.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

-do you mean chrome or aluminium version?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DieInterim

Post by DieInterim »

Brucey wrote:-do you mean chrome or aluminium version?

cheers
UMMM OK. I can choose? I guess I should do some homework on this subject.

Blake :oops:
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

It might well be that the later euro 'highline' Aluminium bumper (all Euro 635s mid '87 on) is just like the US versions (someone else will know this for sure). They certainly have shock absorbers built in and are very heavy....

Its just that a rear chrome bumper (>87) might not be such an easy fit onto a car originally fitted with the 'highline' style one; there is a different panel fitted below the rear lights and there may be other differences too.

Faced with rusty chrome bumpers I bought a pair of the Aluminium ones a while back, thinking that they would be lightweight and corrosion resistant. I had intended to extend the Aluminium parts round the sides by welding, and rigidly mount them (I don't much like the look of the plastic side pieces). Only when I got them home did I realise that;

a) they weigh a TON and

b) they won't easily fit, either.

-one of my less good plans then.....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DieInterim

Post by DieInterim »

Brucey wrote:
a) they weigh a TON and

cheers
Well I think that is what commonly happens. In fact I think that the bumper I bought was from someone who wanted to bolt it on and realized that fabrication is needed to mount it.

I'll find a picture of what I am after.

Blake
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Brucey wrote:....Faced with rusty chrome bumpers I bought a pair of the Aluminium ones a while back, thinking that they would be lightweight and corrosion resistant. I had intended to extend the Aluminium parts round the sides by welding, and rigidly mount them (I don't much like the look of the plastic side pieces). Only when I got them home did I realise that;

a) they weigh a TON and

You could always swap 'em for a pair of wing panels..... :lol:
val_c

Post by val_c »

I got the front bumper with spoiler and sideskirts from this car: Image
When I'll get those parts shipped from Germany I will do the same change that you are after.
Please, keep posting what fabrication will be made for proper fitting.
My soon to be front bumper:
DieInterim

Post by DieInterim »

chevale wrote:I got the front bumper with spoiler and sideskirts from this car: Image
When I'll get those parts shipped from Germany I will do the same change that you are after.
Please, keep posting what fabrication will be made for proper fitting.
My soon to be front bumper:
I got an early bumper; not cutouts for lights. Nice buy my friend.

As soon as I get it fabbed I will take some pics for you.

Blake
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Chevale,

That's an interesting looking spoiler you've got there - I'd hazard a guess to say an early aftermarket that's been very well thought out - cut-outs for for fog lamps, cooling intakes for brake cooling and and a big lower lip acting like a splitter. I's a real nice looking piece.

Are there any identifying marks around the spoiler to show where it came from ?

Good buy 8)

Sharkfan.
val_c

Post by val_c »

Yes, it's a very first time that I see such a piece also. Sure, it request some work, but I like the shape and, especially, the price (thanks to SIX35 who posted link on auction in the sale section).
I do not have it yet, but when I'll get it I'll check out for any ID. It might be an early Shnitzer piece, since the sideskirts of this car come from this manufacturer.
jrcalvin

Post by jrcalvin »

Chevale: I am sure the sideskirts in the photo are Zender mfg. The same as on my sixer as well as many euro sixers I have seen. However, I do not recognize the front spoiler at all. Interesting to find ot the mfg (possibly Zender but that is just a guess).
val_c

Post by val_c »

Jrcalvin,
Thanks for the correction about sideskirts. I just had info from a seller who wasn't sure for 100%.
I'll post the spoiler manufacturer if I'll find any stamps when I'll get the parts.

Meanwhile, I got the new headlights to be installed.
Old ones out of car:
and new:
Still waiting for headlights buckets and plastic shields to arrive.
DieInterim

Post by DieInterim »

I THINK YOU GOT YOUR MONEY'S WORTH OUT OF THOSE OLD LAMPS!
val_c

Post by val_c »

DieInterim wrote:I THINK YOU GOT YOUR MONEY'S WORTH OUT OF THOSE OLD LAMPS!
PO declared "car is all original" and true it is! Too bad I don't have pictures of control arms bushings. :roll:
jrcalvin

Post by jrcalvin »

Chevale:

I am curious about your shipping cost from Germany to Canada for such a large item as a front spoiler assy? I have had many BMW parts shipped to me from Germany but when it came to a front spoiler it had to ship airfreight as opposed to Deutscher Post or DHL.

In order to have 1 of my Alpina spoilers shipped from Germany I found it easier to ship it by Deutsche Post - after cutting the Alpina fiberglass spoiler in half to fit within the max size limits. The alpina fiberglass spoiler is easily fiber-glassed back together unlike a standard urethane BMW euro spoiler.
val_c

Post by val_c »

jrcalvin wrote:Chevale:

I am curious about your shipping cost from Germany to Canada for such a large item as a front spoiler assy? I have had many BMW parts shipped to me from Germany but when it came to a front spoiler it had to ship airfreight as opposed to Deutscher Post or DHL.

In order to have 1 of my Alpina spoilers shipped from Germany I found it easier to ship it by Deutsche Post - after cutting the Alpina fiberglass spoiler in half to fit within the max size limits. The alpina fiberglass spoiler is easily fiber-glassed back together unlike a standard urethane BMW euro spoiler.
Jrcalvin,
I don't know yet how I will ship all goods from Germany; I'll have four wheels with tires, front bumper with spoiler, side skirts and, possibly, rear bumper.
Meanwhile I am trying to get all this stuff together to my friend's basement in Dortmund, then I'll find the way to ship.
I just wasn't able to resist on price for the parts I needed in German ebay.
jrcalvin

Post by jrcalvin »

I would suggest Kuehne & Nagel (kn-portal.com) and I am sure they have an office in Dortmund. Have your friend in Dortmund contact the office/shipping broker there. Load it all on a pallet and ship it airfreight. It will take 3 days to get to you.

john
val_c

Post by val_c »

jrcalvin wrote:I would suggest Kuehne & Nagel (kn-portal.com) and I am sure they have an office in Dortmund. Have your friend in Dortmund contact the office/shipping broker there. Load it all on a pallet and ship it airfreight. It will take 3 days to get to you.

john
Thanks, John,
I'll try them when all parts will be collected in one place.
DieInterim

Nice 6er John

Post by DieInterim »

Quite pretty considering you live in Utah. The Salt really destroys things quickly over there... Does "Lagoon" still exist?

Blake
DieInterim

Rear bumper

Post by DieInterim »

OK. I do need the chrome rear bumper (Not the wrap around one.) with the valence and end pieces.

Anyone can help out?

Blake