broken stud

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

joe

broken stud

Post by joe »

hi all, this is not bmw related, i have a broken stud in my ally block sitting 2 to 3mm above block im going to weld a nut to the top of the exposed stud and hopefully turn out, my question is how much heat will the ally take before im in trouble.

later joe
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

-not that much...Cast ally melts at roughly one third the melting point of steel....

However you will be (with care) able to use MIG to build up onto the end of the stud. Start the build up with the welder set to a fairly 'hot' (high voltage) setting. Then once you have got some metal down, turn the voltage down to give a colder weld. Pulses of no more than one or two seconds will give the best build-up.

Once you have some metal down you can weld the nut on or just make a thing you can turn anyway.

When it is all hot is a good time to see if you can shift it.

In fact its a good idea to put penetrating oil onto the thread, and then put more weld metal down on the end to heat it all again.

If it all goes wrong, and you have to drill it out, don't worry too much; the holes in the head are deeper than they need to be and you can run a tap in another 10mm below the original depth of the stud in the head.

hope it goes OK

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
joe

stud

Post by joe »

thanks for the info brucey. hope it comes out.

later joe
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

Good luck Joe!!

Just please make sure you've got a fire extinguisher handy! :shock:
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Broken stud.

Post by ron »

Hi Joe,I,ve got 3 studs (2 sheared and 1 seized solid) on the exhaust side of the head.I tried the mig and heating method and no way would it move.
I cut it off flush and helicoiled all 3.It's relatively easy with the head off.
I wouldn't like to try it in-situ.
Regds. Ron.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
joe

helicoil

Post by joe »

hi ron, must have a look into this helicoil crack as i might need a back up plan. thanks alot gents

ps dave i will need a bucket of cold water if this stud dos'nt come out cause i will be letting off steam :D

later joe
joe

stud

Post by joe »

hi all took the welder to the stud today and she came out with no fuss at all, very easy would recommend this process

later joe

ps thanks alot every one
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

Nice one Joe!

sounds like there was no need for a fire extinguisher or bucket o water!! :D