How many turbocharged e24 out there?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sf-535is

How many turbocharged e24 out there?

Post by sf-535is »

I just wanted to see how many people here have, or know of others who have, a turbocharged e24.
I know they are out there so lets see who's boosted. :D
val_c

Post by val_c »

I personally have seen 3 turbo cars in Canada and know 2 owners.
I know there is more, at least 5 that I've read about in forums in Canada only.
sf-535is

Post by sf-535is »

Val_C wrote:I personally have seen 3 turbo cars in Canada and know 2 owners.
I know there is more, at least 5 that I've read about in forums in Canada only.
Anything turbocharged (and smog legal) is hard to come by out here in California; not including vehicles equiped from the factory.
I know other States and countries have less strict emissions laws so that is probably why there arent so many around here.
Thanks
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

A bit late to the party, but I know a couple here in FL. I once passed an unbeatable Alpina at a Sebring track day in my lowly Dinan turbo 6.

Ross
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

I just picked this one up on Halloween. Found it on Craigslist.
viewtopic.php?t=16709
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Josh's car? That guy knows what he is doing and you did well with that car.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

Yes. This one was Josh's car.
As time permits I will continue with the development of the car, intercooler etc....

I know of one other Turbo Shark in my area, running a water/air cooler. Too bad it's an automatic.
JCheesewright

I own one.

Post by JCheesewright »

I own a turbo e12 style e24. Custom everything with Billet rods large turbo on custom manifold, Chargecooled with charge cooler radiator in the boot (under the spare wheel!) WOLF V4 3d ECU. GAZ adjustable coil overs and custom brakes (E39 540i front EBC front rotors) Goes like sting and is great track day fun. Will need to install the 280 gearbox soon that I sourced from an E34 M5 as the 3rd gear in the 265 O/D box cant handle the torque.

If your not worried about originality I'd suggest it to anyone as it makes for a very fun car.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: I own one.

Post by ron »

JCheesewright wrote:I own a turbo e12 style e24. Custom everything with Billet rods large turbo on custom manifold, Chargecooled with charge cooler radiator in the boot (under the spare wheel!) WOLF V4 3d ECU. GAZ adjustable coil overs and custom brakes (E39 540i front EBC front rotors) Goes like sting and is great track day fun. Will need to install the 280 gearbox soon that I sourced from an E34 M5 as the 3rd gear in the 265 O/D box cant handle the torque.

If your not worried about originality I'd suggest it to anyone as it makes for a very fun car.
Pics. PLEASE!!
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Iainwr

Post by Iainwr »

ron wrote:Pics. PLEASE!!
....and of the Lotus & Aston!
'99 Subaru Impreza STi-spec Sportwagon
'95 Audi S2 Avant
'86 635 CSi Manual
'86 M6
'80 Aston Martin Vantage 5.7
M635forever

Post by M635forever »

JCheesewright wrote:I own a turbo e12 style e24. Custom everything with Billet rods large turbo on custom manifold, Chargecooled with charge cooler radiator in the boot (under the spare wheel!) WOLF V4 3d ECU. GAZ adjustable coil overs and custom brakes (E39 540i front EBC front rotors) Goes like sting and is great track day fun. Will need to install the 280 gearbox soon that I sourced from an E34 M5 as the 3rd gear in the 265 O/D box cant handle the torque.

Sounds like a nice E24! =)

Regarding the 280 Getrag, the 3 rd gear in it, are not so good in handle torqe either.
I belive the 265 are almost as strong as the 280.
The 262CR are supposed to be stronger.

There are a lot of turbocharged BMW owners here in sweden, and regarding to what some of them say, the 280 are just as weak as the 265.
JCheesewright

Photo's of my cars and the turbo engine build

Post by JCheesewright »

Well here is a photo shot of all my cars outside my workshop for a photo shoot I did for Lotus Victoria. The Merc is my brothers e55 AMG Kompressor. The E39 540i Manual is my wife's car (on LPG which is great) The Jensen is there in it's race form. And the two astons are also in the photo. The Blue aston Is my Vantage and the green one is my brother's AMV8 which I now have to rebuild the engine on as he 'cooked' it by leaving loose the lower radiator hose clamp (by stupid accident) after a fluid change

The Essex Esprit is in the front.

I have some photo's of the 635 turbo but the under bonnet pics are not pretty as the car still need all it's wires tidying up so I'm a little embarrassed with how it appears under the hood.

but here are a couple of shots of the engine build and engine in the car.

I still have to select what type of ignition set up I will ultimately use. First I used the original coil but that couldn't cope and failed so then I went to a multicoil wasted spark setup triggered directly by the wolf ecu and I had trouble with that so reverted back to using the rotor cap and a heavy duty coil trigger by the wolf ECU which is working fine up to 15psi. BUT having fitted CDI ignition to the Jensen Healey and loving the results I now plan to do the same thing with BMW.

Anyway here are some pics of the car(s).
Attachments
Here are the other cars in front of my workshop in Yarraville Melbourne. The blue Aston, BMW 540i Manual is mine, the Jensen is my brother and my race car, the Green Aston and the AMG E55 is my brothers and the Lotus Essex is mine!
Here are the other cars in front of my workshop in Yarraville Melbourne. The blue Aston, BMW 540i Manual is mine, the Jensen is my brother and my race car, the Green Aston and the AMG E55 is my brothers and the Lotus Essex is mine!
CE minnie st cars.jpg (148.11 KiB) Viewed 10238 times
The block with Ross Racing pistons and Billet Rods fitted I also fitted a double row timing chain at this point. Pistons are 94mm so block was bored to suit.
The block with Ross Racing pistons and Billet Rods fitted I also fitted a double row timing chain at this point. Pistons are 94mm so block was bored to suit.
Image198.jpg (306.58 KiB) Viewed 10238 times
This is a side pic of the turbo manifold that I built for my RHD 635. Lots of expansion points but the external waste gate isn't fitted in this shot
This is a side pic of the turbo manifold that I built for my RHD 635. Lots of expansion points but the external waste gate isn't fitted in this shot
Image214.jpg (417.88 KiB) Viewed 10238 times
This is the turbo engine in place and running...but the wiring is a mess. The current plenum is temporary as I'm eventually swapping to ITB
This is the turbo engine in place and running...but the wiring is a mess. The current plenum is temporary as I'm eventually swapping to ITB
Image322.jpg (332 KiB) Viewed 10238 times
M635forever

Post by M635forever »

Here is a couple of them in Sweden, the first one with bi Turbo are just stunning!
http://www.garaget.org/?car=68670

This one are under construction, with a S38B36.
http://www.garaget.org/?car=16243

http://www.garaget.org/?car=65780

This one with a M106
http://www.garaget.org/?car=59204

There is also one old 633 with more than 700hp that went the quarter mile at high 10:s in the early 2000, no pics on it though. =(
JCheesewright

Post by JCheesewright »

I Like what thev'e done. The bi-turbo is very neat. I wonder why he decided to keep the AFM in the system?? Is it a requirement of swedish emission laws and I would of though he would have just gone straight to MAP sensing with an after market ECU? Do you know by any chance?

I think I need to visit Sweden next year!
M635forever

Post by M635forever »

JCheesewright wrote:I Like what thev'e done. The bi-turbo is very neat. I wonder why he decided to keep the AFM in the system?? Is it a requirement of swedish emission laws and I would of though he would have just gone straight to MAP sensing with an after market ECU? Do you know by any chance?

I think I need to visit Sweden next year!
Would you please explain what AFM stands for.
Im not that good in english technichal terms. =)

He is already using a aftermarket ECU with wideband Lambda sensor.
The aftermarket ECU he uses are a VEMS V3 http://shop.vems.hu/catalog/assembled-c ... -p-48.html

He also uses a modified harness from a E34 535 to fit the 635 and the VEMS ECU.

By the way, the car was ready for the junkyard before he started the restoration. =)
M635forever

Post by M635forever »

I have a M106 in my garage under restoration, well the project have been a bit stalled.
Im planning to get out around 500-600 reliable bhp, but will be build to manage almost 900bhp.
I have not decided if Im going to put the engine in a E24 or a E9!?
Had a -75 E9 3.0Csi that was supposed to be the one, but had to sell because i had no room for it when last winter arrived. =(
erneland

Post by erneland »

Here's my turbo:

It's not home built, but still a turbo =)
JCheesewright

Post by JCheesewright »

Sorry AFM = Air Flow Meter which is the trap door style air meter you can see in the photo's of the bi-turbo car.

I've heard of the ECU that he's using ....mostly likely a very flexible unit to program. Did he encounter any problems during the build.

The more pics you guys post the more I want to visit Sweden!
M635forever

Post by M635forever »

JCheesewright wrote:Sorry AFM = Air Flow Meter which is the trap door style air meter you can see in the photo's of the bi-turbo car.

I've heard of the ECU that he's using ....mostly likely a very flexible unit to program. Did he encounter any problems during the build.

The more pics you guys post the more I want to visit Sweden!
Ok!
Im just familiar to MAF="Mass airflow meter" and MAP= "Mass airpressure sensor"
Iainwr

Post by Iainwr »

Nice cars!

Here's a couple of my old banger, not very good quality pics though.
Attachments
1.AstonMartin BC.jpg
1.AstonMartin BC.jpg (180.84 KiB) Viewed 8110 times
Oscar.jpg
Oscar.jpg (99.97 KiB) Viewed 8110 times
'99 Subaru Impreza STi-spec Sportwagon
'95 Audi S2 Avant
'86 635 CSi Manual
'86 M6
'80 Aston Martin Vantage 5.7