and the rarest 6ers are.....

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Kaotiq635

Re: this is mine

Post by Kaotiq635 »

station105 wrote:635 csi - 1982 - aust. delivered - manual - recaros - arctic blue
pre-delivery check in germany 24.6.82
1560 mile inspection grand prix bmw in hawthorn on 18.8.83
and has had number PLATE of BM 0635 from the start
i have had the car for the last 20 years, 300k and engine still running strong,

regards

richard
According to BMW Australia your car must be a private import, they tell me all Oz 635s are 86-89 & there are also 79-81 633s.

What is the vin on your car ?

Think I'd prefer a pre-unleaded car sometimes.

Cheers,
Iain
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Good info Brucey & everyone!
The Euro 635 CSI 5spd that I just bought from Charles Krauter in Bakersfield is an '82; build date on the 'B' pillar is 9/81. VIN# 5592605.
It has an Motronic FI & distributor set-up, E12 dashboard with the E24 computer board at the left of the steering column, and E28 window buttons in the center console; but E12 type door skins. This car is right in the middle of the changeover, huh? I have two E12's. I like it's uniqueness.
A soldier bought it in Germany while stationed there in '82; had it shipped to the U.S. in, I guess '85. He had it federalized then. Good guess, huh?
I'm now the fourth owner. It's been in Bakersfield til now. No rust!
There's a gas vapor smell I NEED to address right now & I am. It also has oversize Goodyear F 1's, which are rubbing if I go thru a decent size dip in the intersection. Just the rear driver's side, though.
I'm gonna roll the inner lips myself as it'll cost $150 at the body shop; then I plan to add 3/8" spacers on both sides 'cause both rears are rubbing on the shocks where they sit in a cradle on the bottom.
Yes, I just installed new Bilstein HD's at the rear. I'm installing Bilstein Sports at the front & having the springs cut to lower the front two inches. 'cause it's looking up right now.
Whadda ya think about Sports in the front and HD's at the rear?
Keep in mind, I already have the sports. Front & rear springs are stock.
Luv this website,,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Sounds a nice car!

IIRC the E12 rear shocks don't use a positive location at the bottom (unlike the E28 type) thus you could (temporarily at least) put a couple of washers in the shock mounting to space it out maybe....

Mixing shocks is OK here as the damping rates are not that far different IIRC. The only prob might be lack of negative travel with the sports at standard ride height, but I'm sure someone can put you right on this one.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Thanx Brucey
Although, I'm not sure of what you mean by, "space it out", concerning the rear lower shock mounts.
Don't forget, for the front situation; the front stock springs will be cut to lower
the car 2 inches.
I'm gonna tap up the rear upper, inner fender roll in the rear fender wells, to make at least a 1/2" clearance on each side of the car so the tires won't rub. Then, I'll add a 3/8" spacer per side to get away from all rubbing,,,, I hope. Right now the lip is in the stock mode.
You may already know, but, rub your finger inside the upper fender wells to see what I'm talkin' about. Don't cut yourself! When I'm through, the space will be larger. I hope I don't make the paint peel or chip.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

I think this is quite rare

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showD ... abNumber=1

God, I hope that link works

I can remember seeing it in this thread

viewtopic.php?t=4193&highlight=alpina+convertible

And it appears to be a genuine Alpina later converted (and with a colour change) by ABC Exclusive

http://www.alpina-archive.com/?p=8130&n ... 3%A9/1-034

And I think a picture of it in it's original black (with black interior) toward the bottom of this page

http://sharknose.de/damals.htm
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I quite like the treatment between the B and C pillars (or where they used ot be, anyway); it reminds me a little of an AM Vantage from the 70s and makes the whole back end more cohesive.

Its probably rather impractical and doesn't drive that well but it looks jolly nice....

Not of great interest to me tho'; I don't have enough hair for the wind to go through any more.... :roll: :roll:

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~