Mrs. Bee A New Member - A Needy Girl

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MrsBee

Post by MrsBee »

Paul, Jose, everybody for that matter - I think this is panning out to be something that is worthy of history books. As the weeks pass, I'm going to have a more nailed down route, but as things pop up, who knows, I might want to stay certain places longer and skip out on other places.

I really don't have a time frame, just a jump date from here - I mean, I'm certain somebody might miss me around here, but at the same time, they wouldn't want me to miss out on anything extraordinary.

Feel free to contact me through my gmail - which is a bit easier for me to get to when I'm not sitting at my slave station pepitaweed at gmail dot com. I respond to those pretty quick.

I was also thinking about the whole "help along the way" idea. What if I were to congregate a list some things that I might need and you can tell me if it's a good or bad idea, and who knows, you might just have one laying around the house - like a jump box or a spare radiator hose or belt or such.

Oh, and I always accept Bourbon and Bacon.
80CSi

Post by 80CSi »

MrsBee wrote:... Oh, and I always accept Bourbon and Bacon.
Why, a woman after my own heart. What once was admiration has turned to LUV! lol
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Nikki
This sounds East Coastish! :wink:
Name your bourbon! And we can supply some great smoked bacon too, with maybe some eggs cooked your way & grits cooked properly. And a sandwich to push you on your way!
Please make sure there are top drawer, or, even medium drawer hotels on your route.
Also, I reiterate, please join Triple A?!!!
This is gonna be fun! :D
Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
MöchteWeiß

Post by MöchteWeiß »

Actually, a BMW CCA Premium Membership has better road service benefits than AAA - if Steven and Frank and the gang can get it together again before next year (when my own 5-year Premium stint expires).

I did nearly the same trip early last year in a pretty crappy 635CSi with no heater and a storm system tracking me from San Francisco all the way to Wisconsin. I also nursed a crappy 635C from Raleigh-Durham to Milwaukee a few years earlier than that (story is here), so I've definitely BT, DT.

If it hasn't been done before you leave, DO have someone who knows '80s BMWs take a look under the hood for little stuff like vacuum lines about to fall off, seeping fuel lines, etc., etc. A quick look over a few critical driveline things is also a good idea. Compared to what you've been driving, these are fairly simple and straightforward machines. They're easy to diagnose and usually equally easy to fix.

Obviously, you've got a BigCoupe.com support group, but a much larger support group is BMW CCA. It wouldn't hurt to toss in an E28 Bentley manual for handy reference. I'd say join MyE28.com, but about half the responders here are also members there, so it's not absolutely necessary unless you'd like to have lunch with Shawn D. in Atlanta ...
MrsBee

Post by MrsBee »

Mmm, bourbon, my favorite has to be Makers 46, but a close runner up would be Angels Envy. There is a place in Louisville called "The Haymarket" whisky bar that turned me on to it, and boy, what an expensive but well worth it turn on. The place was awesome, it had not only excellent bourbon but a pinball machine that kept me busy for quite some time. The bourbon helped, quite a bit actually. It was such an awesome place I was really thinking of a way to try to tie Louisville into this trip, then I remembered why I was in Louisville in the first place and what brought me to "The Haymarket".

A blizzard. Ugh.

So, that'll be for another trip, another time and another season.

Steve (funny enough, he live two blocks away from where I work) and the folks over at headquarters haven't really offered anything to me along the way of help or special perks. That's okay though, I didn't really expect any, but am always willing to open my hands and accept with gratitude. Anything that might make the trip slide on smoothly is okay with me. I'm actually giving a talk at our chapter meeting this evening going over the whole trip and hoping to garner some excitement. We'll see how that goes.

Otherwise, thank you all for your excitement.

And...who is this "Shawn D." in Atlanta - somebody I should know?
MöchteWeiß

Post by MöchteWeiß »

MrsBee wrote:A blizzard. Ugh.

Yeah; why I do NOT recommend driving through the Rockies in January ...
Steve (funny enough, he live two blocks away from where I work) and the folks over at headquarters haven't really offered anything to me along the way of help or special perks.
So tell them to get to work on that premium package as soon as they get back from - SLOVENIA! Otherwise, maybe Steven's porch may soon have to be nightly illuminated by cute flaming bags of dog poop ...
Shawn is one of our best-known southern E28 nutbags (a gentleman and a good friend). I kinda' hesitate to mention Kyle, over in Loo-zee-anna, but if you had a mechanical issue, I'd send you to him in a nanosecond. Over in Texas are the famed BMW CCA Road Monkeys ...

I'll make it a point to track your progress and, if needed, I'll be likely to know a helper within 100 miles of anywhere you might be. I've done a handful of these insane road trips and I know many more who have had the same 'adventures' that arise out of driving a decades-old BMW across the country. There's little, if anything, that can stop you with the resources we can find within a matter of hours.
MöchteWeiß

Post by MöchteWeiß »

MrsBee wrote:A blizzard. Ugh.

Yeah; why I do NOT recommend driving through the Rockies in January ...
Steve (funny enough, he live two blocks away from where I work) and the folks over at headquarters haven't really offered anything to me along the way of help or special perks.
So tell them to get to work on that premium package as soon as they get back from - SLOVENIA! Otherwise, maybe Steven's porch may soon have to be nightly illuminated by cute flaming bags of dog poop ...
Shawn is one of our best-known southern E28 nutbags (a gentleman and a good friend). I kinda' hesitate to mention Kyle, over in Loo-zee-anna, but if you had a mechanical issue, I'd send you to him in a nanosecond. Over in Texas are the famed BMW CCA Road Monkeys ...

I'll make it a point to track your progress and, if needed, I'll be likely to know a helper within 100 miles of anywhere you might be. I've done a handful of these insane road trips and I know many more who have had the same 'adventures' that arise out of driving a decades-old BMW across the country. There's little, if anything, that can stop you with the resources we can find within a matter of hours.
MrsBee

Post by MrsBee »

I've added some details along the lines of dates and locations to the website...although...I think I've misplaced the person to contact in Scottsdale..
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

So wait a minute here,

Did I read this right? You were GIVEN an M6? G-I-V-E-N?? As in, 'here's the pink slip to a 28yo Grand Turisimo coupe' ? Gratis? Great Googly Moogly!! Clearly I'm doing something wrong, I hadda pay $500 for mine. Hey Jose? Wanna gimme your M6? Ooh wait, John Calvin? Wanna gimme that lovely B7???
Clearly there is a story here, so, care to elucidate, enlighten, amaze and dazzle us?

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
markh

Post by markh »

I've added some details along the lines of dates and locations to the website...
Is this website public yet?
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
ClassyPower

Post by ClassyPower »

wait, with all of these other BMW nuts around.... is it possible i get a benefit or two? Im driving half way across the country in my 91 e34... :lol:
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

markh wrote:
I've added some details along the lines of dates and locations to the website...
Is this website public yet?
http://nikkiweed.wordpress.com
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

MrsBee wrote:I've added some details along the lines of dates and locations to the website...although...I think I've misplaced the person to contact in Scottsdale..
I guess I am the Scottsdale member

Bert 480 650 7167 bnpoliakoff yahoo
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
MrsBee

Post by MrsBee »

No no, it's not an M - it's a 635csi - no "M" involved.

Hey, it's an interesting gig, this writing business. You never know what you might get, hate mail, the occasional proposal, a car - I mean - who wouldn't want to do it for a living?
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

MrsBee wrote:Hey, it's an interesting gig, this writing business. You never know what you might get, hate mail, the occasional proposal, a car - I mean - who wouldn't want to do it for a living?
I know whatcha mean, but my audience is a tiny fraction of yours....and I don't get proposals. :wink:

I'm the Horn editor of this rag:

http://hornandwhistle.com/
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Well; no wonder you pay attention to words & phrasings! :wink:
Very sad about Washington, D. C., huh?
Another idiot gone!
And, the Colorado flood story is still unfolding.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Yeah, both are tragedies, but let's not discuss them on Nikki's thread. It's harshing her buzz.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Oi!

Ken? That is a TOTALLY kewl site! I'm going to dig into that link a bit later on.

Hey Classy? What half of the country are ya crossing and when? We're VERY welcoming folks here in SoCal. So let me/us know if'n you're coming anywhere near THE GOLDEN STATE.

Hey Bee? What is it like being an 'ink stained wretch' free cars, flights in Gulf Streams? Tell, TELL!

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

True, true, Ken. Let's enjoy this. :roll:
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
MrsBee

Post by MrsBee »

Ah, the life of Nikki Weed never has a dull moment. Actually, it's a pretty awesome position to be in. I grew up a little blonde girl turning wrenches in the garage with my dad. Interestingly enough, even though I had a passion to be a mechanic/automotive engineer, I decided to study horticulture instead, which I've done, and frankly, I'm sick of.

So...

In order to supplement my meager income peddling plants on the street corner (www.facebook.com/southpleasantburgnursery - check it out for a picture of my one series), I decided to follow my second childhood dream of becoming a writer. I posted an article on the CCA forums, Satch liked it and lo and behold here I am, getting ready to embark on a great voyage across Americas guts.

All the while, keeping a straight face and trying to be as level headed and rational about it, I'm honestly giddy as a school girl holding hands with a hunk behind the bushes at recess.

I gave a speech for our local chapter last night going over the details, and most of them were cheering me on, some of them though I was crazy, but ALL of them agreed that I need AAA.

And to think, all this time they've been telling me I need AA...but that's beyond the point.

So, here I am, looking over the vast threads, forums, and sites looking for all the little tidbits of wisdom, education and excitement to scoot me along and help me get through the Winter, all the while preparing for this amazing trek. Another recommendation from one of my club buddies what that I get a GoPro to take along, and anybody who "donates to the cause" will get special access to not only gopro footage but also a webcast going over the excitement of the day. Not that anybody would want to see me on the screen.

Oh, wait, they do.

That's why I'm driving a haggard work truck 4 hours south to appear on the LIVE television show "Making It Grow", where I will be one of the skilled panelists giving sage wisdom on all things plant related.

Barf.

January can't get here soon enough.

(and I've updated the website)
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Hey Nikki?

That Bentley is the definitive manual for the e24. the e28 & e24 share nearly all systems with the notable exception of sheet metal and some cabin differences which are noted in that tome.

An ornamental horticulturist, eh? Can't say I'd want to pedal plants for a living but then you wouldn't catch me living in the Carolinas either, so there's that.

I looked everywhere and can't find the Haggard Pickup. Reo, International Harvester, etc but no Haggard??? ~completely innocent look~

If your shark is having electrical issues? You'd be well advised to have those issues aired on this forum in order to effect efficient efficacious repair to said systems. Here-abouts there be GURU's!

We had one female member on the forum (for about 1 month) but she melted into the ether and was ne'er heard from again. Hence the outpouring of amazement & helpfulness at your arrival. I don't think anyone here, (or very few) feel our beloved Sharks are the exclusive province of those blessed with a Y chromosome.

I have to say that as a fancier of Cattleya, Paphiopedilum, Dendrobium and Vanda orchids to name a few; I'm sorry you no longer find delight in the mystery of botany but there it is. :mrgreen:

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
MrsBee

Post by MrsBee »

I should really ask where to start when it comes to manuals and such. I remember as a little girl there was never a time there wasn't a Chilton guide of some sort on the dining room table. So, Bentley sounds exotic, mysterious and potentially hard to grasp. Keep in mind, I have mechanical knowledge, but most of it has come from me trying to keep a pos Korean "punk mobile" on the road.

As far as haggard pick up trucks, in my opinion, anything that you sit in and immediately attaches the fake leather plastic crap to your legs and makes a tearing noise when you try to exit is a haggard machine. This particular haggard machine is a little better than most, but that's only because I've given it its first awesome dent.... Long story
Last edited by MrsBee on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

MrsBee wrote:As far as females, I'm not surprised that there aren't many females here. There are some nasty rumors out there about car oriented forums... Did you prove them right? Keep in mind my first forum experience was on "mttractorforum.com"... So I know how to roll with the punches!
Did I prove them right? Sorry, I have no idea what that question means. There are no females here because -to the best of my knowledge- only the one I mentioned has ever appeared here. Rather like your appearance, the other female who came aboard was welcomed and encouraged to become a part of this community. No one is throwing punches (at least I haven't seen any) so please let us move forward with a smile on our faces and a song in our hearts, oui?

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I think it's all just good natured ribbing, Phillip. Nikki certainly seems to "get it" when it comes to car forums.

As to your other query .... ahem ... no way in hell can you have my M6. [-(

:lol:

You have certainly hit on an interesting adventure, Nikki. As I said before, I look forward to hearing how the whole experience pans out and am here to help if possible.

Look in the Tech. Articles forum and go through the E24 shop manual thread. I posted a scan of my BMW shop manual. It has a lot of good stuff in there. Be sure to also get the accompanying torque specs. manual.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Masked Man wrote:... but then you wouldn't catch me living in the Carolinas either, so there's that.
Where did that come from? I have lived near LA in the past, have you lived here before?

Sorry for the distraction, back to the topic...