What did you do to your E24 today?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

sharkfan wrote:
sharkfan wrote:Changed a failing petrol pump on the 1982 635CSi - from the looks of the clips the old one might have been the original one :shock:
I had to revisit this as I was still suffering fuel supply/pressure problems so I have now cleaned the internal tank gauze/mesh/filter-thingy (that was black and sticky), changed the fuel filter (that was dated 6.6.1989 :shock: ), replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter support rubber mounts and replaced a whole load of jubilee clips around the car's fuel system.

The inside of the fuel tank seemed spotlessly clean so lets hope the filters and gauze have done their stuff over the years.
Long, healthy, full throttle test drive today with no symptoms :D :D :D :D :D
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

After losing my long redundant ashtray/useful covered cubby hole/change tray to this mod....

I fitted a pair of E24 front ashtray's either side of the handbrake console as cubby-holes. As with all mods I carry out they are easily removable (just screwed into the carpet) but quite useful - being an awkward git I decided to illuminate them as well.
Attachments
Night light 2.jpg
Night light 2.jpg (114.55 KiB) Viewed 11327 times
ashtrays.jpg
ashtrays.jpg (207.03 KiB) Viewed 11345 times
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I played dressing up!

Post by wattsmonkey »

Removed Mtec steering wheel and gearknob and fitted Alpina "dress up" bits, all done sitting in the car park whilst doing Dad taxi duties! Of course, the horn doesn't work because I stupidly swapped my coarse spline Momo adapter for a fine spline one ready for the M, so I've only got a horrible "Ektor" coarse spline boss, which doesn't come with the wiring! Not hard to dig out a couple of female spade connectors, just not possible in a car park twenty miles from home.

I am removing the burgundy 635 from sale for the foreseeable. There's only so many time you can say "No, I won't take £3,500 for it, it's worth more than that in bits." The M is coming along very nicely, but won't be ready any time very soon.

Anyone want to buy an M-tec 1 coarse spline wheel? Rare as anything, just not as cool as an Alpina wheel!
Attachments
IMG_1123.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG (84.65 KiB) Viewed 11300 times
IMG_1120.JPG
IMG_1120.JPG (84.42 KiB) Viewed 11300 times
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
Horsetan

Re: I played dressing up!

Post by Horsetan »

wattsmonkey wrote:...I am removing the burgundy 635 from sale for the foreseeable. There's only so many time you can say "No, I won't take £3,500 for it, it's worth more than that in bits." ...
Provisionally sold mine and took a deposit today.

Think I'll be looking for a Citroën DS or CX next.....
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: I played dressing up!

Post by Brucey »

Horsetan wrote:
Think I'll be looking for a Citroën DS or CX next.....
Oh Dear Lord.... clearly the amount of rust and quirky hydraulics on an E24 wasn't quite enough for you then.... :roll: :wink:

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Well after fixing my aging 635's dodgy electrics, hydraulics, brakes, speedo and fuel supply, replacing buggered brake nipples, broken exhaust manifold and a failing fuel pump, and then doing a pile of other things to fit, fettle and check I have now fallen back in love with the old girl so she's gone off for a bit of remedial bodywork; the screens are coming out as well to check underneath (biggish bubble under the edge of one) and then refit and make watertight once again.
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

All body trim/ mouldings refitted with correct clips ( thanks Ron ) ,bit the bullet and bought some new trims to make it 100% . Rear bumper back on , front bumper being rebuilt with new centre chrome and refurbed sides. Making new fasteners for the perfect replacement front bumper rubbing strips ( thanks again Ron )
Faulty starter motor removed :cry: awaiting new one . Old windscreen washer hose removed and complete replacement started.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

buggered nipples? :shock:

Is that even anatomically possible.....? :roll:

I am working on a good source for stainless nipples BTW. If successful they will never wear out or go rusty and will therefore be a never ending source of visceral pleasure....

cheers
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

I've still got the stainless steel coolant bleed screws fitted that you had made up about ten years ago Brucey :D

The brake nipple certainly looked buggered after all fair attempts to remove it failed; in the end I hammered a 6mm socket over it.

I have now sourced some deep, six sided 7mm 1/4" drive sockets that go over the entire nipple and have not had any further problems.
orlando

Post by orlando »

I have done quite a lot to the old lady lately:

Refreshed the suspension front and rear. Installed front and rear Weicher strut bars. Front one is an easy installation rear one is a real PITA. however the difference in the ride is well worth all the swearing and getting in and out of trunk for a hundred times or more, including locking myself in the trunk for one hour and thirty minutes until son came home to rescue me!! It would really help if you have a wife, girlfriend or sister with small hands who is prepared to curl herself on the trunk floor trying to get the nuts on the screws and ends up with a severe neck pain that you have to compensate for, somehow later. Don't dare asking mother in law because she will tell you that the bar doesn't fit and that you have wasted your money!! She wouldn't even try!!

Powder coated and polished the valve cover, replaced old valve cover screws and nuts with stainless steel new ones.

Reinforced the pedal bracket as it cracked when my clutch master cylinder snapped off. Replaced clutch master cylinder, hoses associated with the clutch, all hoses for the brakes and refreshed all power steering and brake fluids. installed a new accelerator pedal assembly and reinforced the accelerator lever with a new weld as it was cracked and was going to fail sooner rather than later.

See pictures of the engine bay showing the new look valve cover and front strut bar.

Still have one problem to tackle and that is the AC and heating that only run in full, no control over the speed of either. For the time being fuse #20 is removed.

Orlando.
Attachments
Engine bay3.jpg
Engine bay3.jpg (113.45 KiB) Viewed 11425 times
Engine bay4.jpg
Engine bay4.jpg (119.77 KiB) Viewed 11425 times
aussie_bronzit
1985 M635CSI Right Hand Drive
M88 engine not S38
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

This weekend the Garage Queen (GQ to you'all) got a new water pump, new cap, new rotor, a new coil to distributor wire. Next up is the remainder of the ignition wires, engine detailing and then shocks, struts, trans filter (it's an auto)
Changed the directional relay but instead of a non-blink on each side, I get nothing? Hmmm have to sort that out.
--ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
nick88highline

Post by nick88highline »

Today I replaced the front tyres with new Toyo Proxes T1R 235/50 R16 and cleaned the front brake pads. Yesterday I replaced the rear subframe bushes which were completely shot after 40K miles since I last changed them.
BMW 635CSiA (1988)
BMW i3 (2016)
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (2000)
Morris Minor 1000 (1968)
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

orlando wrote:I have done quite a lot to the old lady lately:

Refreshed the suspension front and rear. Installed front and rear Weicher strut bars. Front one is an easy installation rear one is a real PITA. however the difference in the ride is well worth all the swearing and getting in and out of trunk for a hundred times or more, including locking myself in the trunk for one hour and thirty minutes until son came home to rescue me!! It would really help if you have a wife, girlfriend or sister with small hands who is prepared to curl herself on the trunk floor trying to get the nuts on the screws and ends up with a severe neck pain that you have to compensate for, somehow later. Don't dare asking mother in law because she will tell you that the bar doesn't fit and that you have wasted your money!! She wouldn't even try!!

Powder coated and polished the valve cover, replaced old valve cover screws and nuts with stainless steel new ones.

Reinforced the pedal bracket as it cracked when my clutch master cylinder snapped off. Replaced clutch master cylinder, hoses associated with the clutch, all hoses for the brakes and refreshed all power steering and brake fluids. installed a new accelerator pedal assembly and reinforced the accelerator lever with a new weld as it was cracked and was going to fail sooner rather than later.

See pictures of the engine bay showing the new look valve cover and front strut bar.

Still have one problem to tackle and that is the AC and heating that only run in full, no control over the speed of either. For the time being fuse #20 is removed.

Orlando.
The bars make a massive difference don't they

The rear one is tricky but a ratchet 13mm ring spanner with a flexible head makes it easier. Doesn't help you locking yourself in the trunk though. Hell if I got my wife to help she would lick me in there permanently and throw the key down the drain
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
val_c

Post by val_c »

Changed US-style washer bottle to european one. At the same time put new washer pump in.
Below is the photo to compare sizes:

New bottle installed:

Now it's time to get correct washer fluid sensor (longer one).
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Cleaned out (probably) 32 years of crap, crud and after-market sealant out of the front and rear screen rubbers, then cleaned with autoglym rubber protector and I have some gummi-plefge on standby for the fitter pops them back in.

Also removed one after-market alarm sticker, one dealer sticker and a telephone aerial.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

today I tightened the spline collar on my steering column... which was quite loose....:oops:

Then I experimented with the steering box pressure point adjustment. I made a special tool to make adjustment more accurate (I can barely access the adjuster because the exhaust manifold is in the way...) My experiments then meant that I went from too loose to too tight and then I got it just right.

Then I decided to take 6% of the laden weight of the car (i.e. me...) and lower it 2". I lowered the steering column (new mounting bolts and spacers) and then lowered the seat as far as it would go. I might have overdone it, actually...

It feels like a different car now!

cheers
mmmiii

Post by mmmiii »

Received the title. :D
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Removed the sunroof on the 635; treated for some surface rust on the underside, repainted, put on replacement seal, re-attached, re-aligned and then battled to get the inner lining re-attached before Victory was mine.

Has anyone fitted an E28 glass sunroof to their E24?
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

sharkfan wrote: Has anyone fitted an E28 glass sunroof to their E24?
They are a different size.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

There's a thread about this somewhere. Some say a glass panel from a certain Saab or Volvo will work, but I'm unconvinced until I see an actual photo or two. Would be a nice mod, though. I had one in my brand new e30 M3 decades ago.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Removed the black ridged ventilation fan covers from both the M635 and the 635CSi today and popped them in for a quick re-spray, then rebuilt the wiper scuttle mounts on the 635CSi with brand new washers, rubber rings and collets.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Rewired the stereo head unit plug to ISO spec for new stereo system .
Emptied old ATF from 'box , thoroughly cleaned old filter , painted scarred oil pan , replaced magnets within , fitted up and refilled with fresh ATF.
Started rustproofing .
Mixed up a fluid mix of waxoyl , bar and chain oil and white spirits for first application on wheelarches , sills ( inner and outer cavities ) , doors and the inner sill triangle adjacent to subframe mounts . This seeps into the flanges and tight areas giving full protection/coverage . 2nd and 3rd coates get progressivly thicker.
Made a better extension with elbow for my Schutz gun to get further into the cavities .

Gave my wife a cuddle when I came in and she slipped straight through my arms ........ :lol:
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Olympia-
How many miles on your tranny and what was the condition of the fluid and the residue in the sump?
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Discovered a secondary use of BBS centre-caps....
Attachments
cover 1.jpg
cover 1.jpg (175.69 KiB) Viewed 11659 times
cover 2.jpg
cover 2.jpg (136.7 KiB) Viewed 11659 times
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Very clever Sharkfan!! Using tricks like that make you and Brucey official Grips! =D>
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80