What did you do to your E24 today?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Drove the M6 - loved it, will always love it, told my 6 year old daughter she will own it one day.

635CSi - this has a major wiring issue but I have other projects and chores on other cars to complete before I get to this but I did manage to start sorting some crappy over-sprayed paintwork - I thought it was pretty much ruined but I dug out an old inherited orbital polisher and set to it with a random blend of paint restorers, T-cuts, unmarked stuff in bottles, etc, and it came up reasonably well in most places - a bit of cutting, a good polish and some wax has produced good results compared to the sandpaper finish it had when I got it back.

It's fate is still in the balance though.......
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

Got the new bolts to replace the lower strut, caliper and ABS sensor bolts (I stripped one :oops: :roll:). New rears spring pads arrive tomorrow and I'll be putting the front and rear suspension back together in the M635. Looking forward to having it done.

I'll be doing a DIY complete with pix. There are some good ones out there but I'll kinda smash 'em all together along with a few notes and lessons learned along the way...
3BMW

Post by 3BMW »

Replaced fuel hose between tank outlet and fuel pump inlet.
2I6es

Post by 2I6es »

Starter motor brushes were worn out and solenoid started sticking so had a new starter motor fitted.

also two new rear tyres as one was apparently down to the canvas and could not field required tyre so .......

Cheers Vinny
$DO || ! $DO : try
try: command not found

02 XR6 (m) 5sp (OD) 1701 D - "ENTERPRISE"

Long time lover of all hot I6's - BMW 635, Ford XR6 and the mighty Chrysler E49 six pack Charger
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Drove it and successfully MoT'd it for another year :D - whilst finding out how shamefully little I have used it over the past few years..... :oops:
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Made up and fitted new bottom flange to RH sill , fabricated new inner sill in 18swg and welded on to car , hand formed new floor area to ( try to ) replicate factory pressings and welded in to car , tried to form new toe board section in a single section and failed miserably :( so had to make in three sections due to tight dissimilar compound curves got two in , Slept .............
Should get last two sections fitted this evening and then grind/finish all welds.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Today I managed to open the 635CSi sunroof which had a broken plastic gate on the left hand side bracket that bolts onto to the sunroof panel - this was no mean feat as the bracket had broken clean off and was flopping around hindering any sunroof movement.

I had previously bought a left hand side bracket and discovered in the process that the right hand side bracket was no longer available. - I probably have the last new left hand side bracket.

So after successfully jigging it open and sliding back the inner headlining panel to expose the bracket bolts - to discover the right hand side bracket was breaking too.

I successfully replaced the left side bracket then removed the right side to effect a repair with a well sited small drill hole, a small amount of exact filing and a tiny zip-tie.

All replaced, tested and secured I then repaired the original broken left side bracket using the same method. They seem sturdy enough but I have become very aware that repair rather than replacement is the way ahead for many E24 parts as more and more reach the dreaded NLA status.

Then I set about polishing the roof and contemplating the cars deep emotional electrical issues and how I might resolve them.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

I'm glad you are learning all the tricky bits on the sunroof as you may well have a complete mechanism to re-assemble soon!
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

I'm a dab hand at getting the inner cover on and off but both my mechanisms are the early type with the weirdy front height setting screws - although I'll be very glad to convene once again in South Wales to assist in any E24 project work, return some borrowed parts, drink some wine, eat some good fud and carry out some of very best talent - talking absolute gibberish :D
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I forgot, this should be around April 1.

I didn't want to spend $300 per tire for F-1's that came with Buster &
the fiber started to show on the outside of one tire, even after the rotation.
While searching for the big deal, I got desperate & went to an off-off Broadway shop (get it?) around the corner &
spent $80 for two proper size used tires, installed & balanced, but, of different tire companies!! Told you, I got desperate! :roll:
Then, my brain started kickin' in & I asked Jose` about what tires he may have.
I'm sure he 'acquires' stuff from CoupeKing! If they throw it away, why not?
Sure enough, he had two Michlein Pilot Sports that matched my front tires in his own shop!! #-o With about 3/4 tread left!
He asked what I wanted to pay; of course I side for me & I said $20!
He snickered & said, "For two"! I said "SOLD"! He's fast becoming my friend!
I'll wear out what's on the car & then switch. :-k
Remember, I'm retired on a fixed income, so I have to be creative! :roll:
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
cornershop

Post by cornershop »

Wash, clay mitted and quick detail spray - all G3 Pro products, really easy to use and has left bodywork like glass!

Sharknose

Post by Sharknose »

I went ahead and added new freon to the a/c, just in time for the hot Mexican summer :shock:
It was just over $30 bucks and it's now blowing ice cold, fortunately no leaks were found :P
Sharknose
1989 BMW 635CSi - Metallic Smoke Gray - my Lupita

"If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!"
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Just some more polishing and fettling on the 635CSi to try and sort some shoddy overspray out - Wednesday and Thursday should be make or break for the dodgy electrics it seems to have developed.
Horsetan

Post by Horsetan »

Haven't done anything other than put petrol in it.

There are loads of issues, of which rust is but one. Another one that is just after happening is the o/s clip for the front ARB corroding and falling off. Car's still driveable, though....
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

I been rather busy last weekend.

For the e24
1/ Installed strut tower brace.
2/ Tidy up engine bay wiring and got the sandpaper/polish out and done the intake runners, top of the radiator, and the accumulator canister. They come up rather well.
3/ While I was in te cleaning mood I removed the anodising off my pedals (the black was looking shabby) with about 1/2hr soak in caustic soda. They skne out shiny raw aluminuim.

E23
1/ swapped over the the throttle cables from cruise control to main throttle an vise versa. This alters the pedal travel and makes it shorter and setup the kickdown switch more aggressively. On the road it feels definelty more lively.
2/ my cometic MLS gasget had arrived so need to clear some workshop time to install my hot head. It has bigger 292cam valve springs adj cam sprocket, port matched intake manifold, and about 2k worth of improving the flow of the ports. It should make the old girl go rather well
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Met up with a friend for a run out.....

val_c

Post by val_c »

Decided to change valve cover for a new one. When valve cover was removed, found that one of the oil spray bar bolts and its washer are missing:

Found them in the corner. Luckily, no haven't found no visual damage. Covered both bolt's thread with blue locktite and put them on place.

I've read that those bolts might get loose, but I've never seen it myself till that day.

New valve cover in place:

hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Val_C wrote:Decided to change valve cover for a new one. When valve cover was removed, found that one of the oil spray bar bolts and its washer are missing:

Found them in the corner. Luckily, no haven't found no visual damage. Covered both bolt's thread with blue locktite and put them on place.

I've read that those bolts might get loose, but I've never seen it myself till that day.
Each spray bar bolt has TWO washers. One goes under the spray bar and one under the head of the bolt. Best have another look in the corner.....
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Spent another four or five fruitless hours trying to track down a short between a permanant live and a switched live - decided in the end to rewire it.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Q for sharkfan . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

...regarding that friend of yours :wink:

Looks like an Alpina front air dam poking out there :-k

Very interesting color as well, please tell us more [-o<

:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Q for sharkfan . . .

Post by sharkfan »

GRNSHRK wrote:...regarding that friend of yours :wink:

Looks like an Alpina front air dam poking out there :-k

Very interesting color as well, please tell us more [-o<

It's a Hallmark 633CSi made up by TWR - it is BEAUTIFUL and indecently rapid for having a three speed auto.

More info on Hallmarks here....

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_p ... he-70s-80s

And a couple of pics of the car - it's wearing E31 17" staggered style 5's as the owner has a minty E23 735i which is wearing this cars staggered 16" Alpinas.

Sharknose

Post by Sharknose »

Wow, this is the cleanest engine bay I've seen for a long time! Looks like freshly made from the assembly line :shock:
Sharknose
1989 BMW 635CSi - Metallic Smoke Gray - my Lupita

"If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!"
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Sharknose wrote:Wow, this is the cleanest engine bay I've seen for a long time! Looks like freshly made from the assembly line :shock:
It's got nearly 90k miles on it but it did have a full refurbishment a few years ago and has been kept VERY clean since.

Back on thread and today I have bypassed my engine electrical woes - just a little jiggery-pokery with the central locking, hazard light, the electric aerial and interior lights and I'll be all set....... to sort the rest of the car out :(
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

The temp. all of a sudden spiked around here and I realized that my main fan is not doing its job.

So today, I replaced the radiator fan clutch and put in some more R134.
Now she runs cool and keeps me cool.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

As per two threads up I jiggery-pokeried the electrics to the central locking, fixed the electric aerial and screwed all the underside of the dash back together - gave it a quick vacuum, the leather a feed and took it out for a spin.

The old girl actually looks fantastic despite being on 15's and still needing loosening up.
Attachments
DSC00154.JPG
DSC00154.JPG (150.14 KiB) Viewed 10900 times
2014 1.jpg
2014 1.jpg (157.72 KiB) Viewed 10900 times
2014 2.jpg
2014 2.jpg (137 KiB) Viewed 10900 times