What did you do to your E24 today?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

yodman

Re: What did you do to your E24 today?

Post by yodman »

Decided firmly that I will be trading off the Style 5's.

Also, parked the car, for "winter" yesterday. Unsure if it's permanent or not, as weather in Michigan is a rollercoaster this time of year. It snowed, but there were no salt trucks. I have an event or two left that I'd really like to take the car to.

Ordered a TMS chip, as I am VERY happy with the new-found throttle response and drivability and idle my car has after disconnecting the battery and resetting to the base-line tune.

Backstory is I had my exhaust done, since old exhaust was holey even before the O2 sensor, and never thought to reset the DME. Now that it's done, the car is a whole new animal. Factory power actually feels like it's there. It felt like a B34 before, now it has a harder kick for sure, and like I said, the throttle response is refreshing, especially for an AFM.

Can't wait for the chip! Hope I get it before the weekend of the 5th!
1989 BMW 635csi - Betty White - AWII/Natur - M30 5M - 117k - 18" Style 37s
Rickytickytavvy

Post by Rickytickytavvy »

Ordered a turn signal lens yesterday... Car was backed into in the parking garage :-( Luckily, though, the only damage that incurred was the amber lens.
Ricky
1987 635 CSI, the Bag'd Shark
rattusM6

Post by rattusM6 »

Went into the garage today, realised the monumental task that STILL lays before me, had a little cry then went down the pub.
All seems alot better now :mrgreen:
Realised I was dyslexic whilst at a toga party dressed as a goat.
85 E24 M6 - 14 years
92 E30 M3 - 11 years now sold
06 E46 M3 - 2 years
13 Ford Grand C-Max, the family wagon
99 E36 323i Sport Touring - now sold
02 E46 Alpina B3 3.3 - 1.5 years
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Well, this coming week a 5 speed swap is going to happen.

I hope I'm not making a mistake. The autobox worked great for me these past

28 years. The only drawback was shifting control @ Watkins Glen.

But for road driving the auto is my cup of tea. Upshifts faster than I can manually.

Can drink coffee, light my cigar, adjust radio and other controls with my right hand while shifting

into lower passing gear with the throttle.

When I went to VA this year with the "Idiotfest" group, I was in bumper to bumper twice

for about 20 minutes each. Thought about that damn clutch. Had the swap for 3 years now

and with the autobox front seal leaking now with 145,000 on the clock, doesn't make sense to

rebuild it. I'm lucky that I found an 86 Jan. 5 speed for my Jan.86 car.

So, I guess @ the age of 72, I'll have to grin and like it. I'll start to build up my left leg

muscles to cope with the clutching. Thank God we have electric starters!!!

Bob V
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I'm 58 and have never had an auto trans car. There's just more of a connection to the driving experience with the manual, so hopefully, you'll enjoy that. Agreed about the downside in traffic, etc., though, but I think it's a small price to pay.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

miklilmag

Post by miklilmag »

Hello,
Had no idea, but, a hot re start, after coming out of store, was not happening,
Cranked, popped icv, scratched my head,
sat there, cranking with my hood open, doing trouble shooting in my head, fuel, check, hear pump running for a second, spark, ckeck (icv popped), air, yep, we are outside,...
A hot no-start after couple hunderet miles somewhere, what to do,...Bar (Pub)
after a beverage and a meal, stumbeld back to sixer, stardet right up,....
Home, in garage, after cool down changed cts, (less then one year old) went right back on road, fun, so far so good..
..couple hunderet miles later, lots hot starts,..still thinking about it, ran perfect hot, ...trouble shooting in my head...crank positioning sensor not functioning proper on hot start-up's.....maybe there is a next time...

Franke
Rickytickytavvy

Been troubleshooting a suspension-related electrical gremlin the past couple of days, to come to the conclusion that the cut-off solenoid for my air suspension's compressor has gone bad. Need to order the part tomorrow and get it on ASAP
Ricky
ronnieg

Post by ronnieg »

Yesterday I pulled out the driver's seat and fixed (shortened) the cable sheaths that hold the drive cables for the seat back adjustment. While it was out, I took two Tylenols (man that sucker is heavy) and then inserted a piece of old carpet between the zigzag springs and the seat bottom cushion pad, to give me a little softer ride on my tender butt.

I shortened the cable sheaths by cutting them and splicing them back with a piece of tubing and small hose clamps. seems to be working fine, and now all the adjustments work as designed (except for the headrest up/down).

Ready for another long road trip now.
Happier in a 635
Rickytickytavvy

Installed a new turn signal lens to replace the one damaged a couple of weeks back.

Tried to drive to the store and experienced what I think is a spark plug or a timing problem. Car will idle fine, but as revs build over 1200rpm, the revs will drop drastically and the motor will lope severely until the foot's off the gas and it returns back to idle.
Ricky
yodman

Post by yodman »

Parked it officially over the weekend.

Covered, battery off, locked up, set to go. Parts list is piling up after last weekend's autocross. Wore the last of the life off the front tires, and discovered how sloppy the stock 110k suspension is. So, the lowering and stiffening is in order.
1989 BMW 635csi - Betty White - AWII/Natur - M30 5M - 117k - 18" Style 37s
miike87

Post by miike87 »

Replaced the very wobbly shifter linkage in my M635 with new parts. Replaced the shifting rod and the T-linkage without removing the drive shaft. Quite a challenge, but feels so much more precise now. :mrgreen:
Also fitted the original round shifter head I found in mint condition at the Veterama some weeks ago.
2016-11-09 21.20.33.jpg
2016-11-09 21.20.33.jpg (216.29 KiB) Viewed 11647 times
Finally rode it for some kilometers, refueled and stored for winter. :( It's already freezing here...
M635 CSi 15.05.1984
Delivered: 199 Burgundrot, 159 Leather black, S2941A Kreuzspeiche, S401A SHD el., S510A headlight aiming, S664A Bavaria Electronic, S680A antenna man.
Today: 086 schwarz, BMW/BBS RC035/RC038, Bavaria C Electronic
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Unscrewed the complete toolkit tray from the 635CSi, took it inside and polished it all up - the pump pliers in particular had succumbed to a small amount of surface rust, but I also took the opportunity to properly scrub the tray underneath all the tools - it all looks lovely now.

Then I checked the M635 kit and found again the pliers are brown-ish so there's tomorrows job.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

Since the anodized bumpers looked like crap I had them stripped and polished when I had the shark painted. Naturally now they need regular polish and wax. That was the only E24 project for today. 3 inch 3M polishing pad on the die grinder made pretty quick work of it. Love air tools.

There are a few flaws in the aluminum so they are not perfect. They do look pretty sharp if I stay on top of them.

Ross
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
ronnieg

Post by ronnieg »

Do you know what they used to strip the anodized bumper metal? or how they did it? Mine look shabby too...
Happier in a 635
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Easy-off oven cleaner. It's not a fast process, but it works.

Not sure what a pro shop would use.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

"Easy-off oven cleaner. It's not a fast process, but it works."

+1--I used the oven cleaner to remove pinstriping on a motorcycle and it worked like a charm.

Didn't harm the orig paint at all.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
ronnieg

Post by ronnieg »

Thanks! Easy Off, huh? Do I have to remove the bumper and take it apart to isolate the aluminum strip? or can I carefully do it while still on the car?

any other hints or how/to info?
Happier in a 635
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

miike87 wrote:
Finally rode it for some kilometers, refueled and stored for winter. :( It's already freezing here...
What is the best strategy for winter storage? Fuel stabilizer? Drain the fuel system? Put the battery in a warm room? Share your thoughts and practices.....

--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

sansouci wrote:
miike87 wrote:
What is the best strategy for winter storage? Fuel stabilizer? Drain the fuel system? Put the battery in a warm room? Share your thoughts and practices.....

--Ken
I've just tucked mine away until spring .
Here in Ireland we get very wet winters with constant moist air from October to March , especially down here in the South West where the weather comes off the Atlantic approaches so a belt and braces approach pays off. I built my garage to the same spec. as my house so it has insulated walls ,ceiling and floor but when you open a door the cold damp air gets in.
Before anything I thoroughly clean the car outside, underside and inside .
I've used an Airchamber for nigh on twenty years now and it has proven to be the best money I ever spent re cars . It has twin filtered fans circulating the air within which keeps the car dry and free of dust , mould and moisture . I have a de-humidifier that I used to place in the chamber too but it was an overkill and is now used in the main garage area itself protecting my tools ,equipment and other car .
I leave the front windows open a couple of inches ,disconnect the battery and connect a battery exerciser . I don't drain anything and leave the oil/filter change until I give it a full service when the car emerges in the spring .
I've always inflated the tyres to 45 psi and never had a problem with them " flattening " but this year I placed wooden blocks under the subframe mounts and front X member that are just tall enough to take the weight off the suspension and tyres.
I'll usually open the rear flap of the Airchamber and run the engine up to temp several times during the winter if the weather is clear and dry .
Worked so far .
DSCF8339 - Copy (Small).JPG
DSCF8339 - Copy (Small).JPG (90.44 KiB) Viewed 11521 times
1981 635 series 1
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

ronnieg wrote:Thanks! Easy Off, huh? Do I have to remove the bumper and take it apart to isolate the aluminum strip? or can I carefully do it while still on the car?

any other hints or how/to info?
I'd take the bumper off. I don't know what the stuff might do to the rubber trim.
Ken Kanne
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

I would remove the rubber.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Fuel stabilizer,and battery in a warm room if the car is not in
an attached garage.

Storage bags to keep Mickey Mouse and moisture out.

http://www.vehiclebags.com/

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/ ... torage-bag

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/ ... age-system
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Got fed up with the rubbish reversing lights so took off the lenses and cleaned them up.

Still no good so took the advice from a few forum posts and used some super-shiny tape to line the tired looking reflectors - they definitely look brighter now. I also noticed the rear lights were a bit dull so tried the same silver tape trick but not much improvement being only 5w so figured I would try some 10w bulbs instead.

Then I took a look at the fairly rubbish dipped headlights and discovered you can now get H1 LED bulbs; I haven't a clue how they'll look or if they'll affect the beam pattern but at 100w output for 15w consumption I'm hoping they'll be better than the 55w standard incandescent bulbs.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

sharkfan wrote: Then I took a look at the fairly rubbish dipped headlights and discovered you can now get H1 LED bulbs; I haven't a clue how they'll look or if they'll affect the beam pattern but at 100w output for 15w consumption I'm hoping they'll be better than the 55w standard incandescent bulbs.
Don't bother with those H1 LED's. The brightness simply isn't there, and as you speculated, the beam pattern will be trash. If your current H1 bulbs (even 55w) aren't sufficiently bright, check them to see if the capsule has turned milky (gas leak) or black (filamant deposits), and also check if the reflector and lens are clean. Bad bulbs can be replaced (use only Philips, Sylvania, Osram, Hella), and dirty housings can be washed. Beyond that, check the wiring for full voltage/current transfer, and replace as necessary. Old, undersized wiring, is an issue with these cars, and upgraded wiring and relays makes a huge difference in lighting performance.

I've got LEDs in all my rear light positions, and am very pleased with the results. Yes, the check panel shows some errors, but I'll take the brightness:

To be honest, pics like the one above don't prove much, as the brightness is related to camera exposure, but trust me, these are far brighter than the original filament bulbs. Having used them in other cars for more than 6 years, I can say they're also very reliable.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Dean, could you post exactly what LED bulbs you used (or a link to where you wrote up the swap)? There are so many LED bulbs available these days it's confusing to try and pick the "right" ones.
Ken Kanne