What did you do to your E24 today?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What did you do to your E24 today?

Post by sharkfan »

Following on from similar threads on other forums that keep people interested and up to date :D

Today I re-fitted the rear side panels and rear seats following on from a glass out re-spray.

While it's all been out I vacuumed out all the kack and dust, treated the sills to help resist corrosion, cleaned and then greased the sliders for the rear windows, treated all the leather, seen and unseen, tidied up the wiring and discovered my interior 'B' pillar trims are slightly different.

So what has anyone else done? :D
markh

Post by markh »

Just a few hours ago I broke her free from winter storage jail where she's been for the last 4 months. Now I've got something to do in my still frozen garage. Brake bomb is top on the list.

1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Took it for a drive with Hoadie.

olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Removed , dismantled , derusted and cleaned the front four piston calipers on my early E24. Five of the eight pistons were seized in the bore so a long time was spent getting them free. A mucky ,dirty job but with loads of satisfaction when the components are all cleaned and polished awaiting the rebuild kits.
Spent a long time trying to save the brake line/couplings from servo to flexible hoses whilst removing all the brake bracketry etc ,but one on each side was seized and would not free regardless of what I tried so will just repipe all front end ( double pipe runs on these early cars ......)
Then moved onto bodywork on the inner wings the LHS has three small areas that require fresh metal . Commenced carefully removing the corroded areas .
St Patrick's day here tomorrow so no work on the car , Pub beckons ...... :D
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

You mean you celebrate St. Patrick's Day in Ireland?

:lol:

Today I watched the rain bead up and run off my E24s. :( No garage space left.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
2I6es

Post by 2I6es »

olympia57 wrote:St Patrick's day here tomorrow so no work on the car , Pub beckons ...... :D
So, what is your singing voice like, another Paddy Clancy or Tommy Makem or is it a cross between Billy Connolly and someone else :lol:

Enjoy the Day Don and be careful around the Rose of Tralee - Vinny
$DO || ! $DO : try
try: command not found

02 XR6 (m) 5sp (OD) 1701 D - "ENTERPRISE"

Long time lover of all hot I6's - BMW 635, Ford XR6 and the mighty Chrysler E49 six pack Charger
captpkelly

Post by captpkelly »

I'm mostly spending my time in parts acquisition mode. And I didn't do all this in a day, but over the past couple weeks I've been busy, busy, busy

Re-wrapped the entire front lighting Wire Harness and installed brand new ellipsoid lights with new improved bulbs (Big shout-out and thank you Andy aka MrFixit)

Fixed the power Headrests (again) did this fix about 10 years ago too.

Installed an e30 rear view mirror w/map lights. Came out well. First time I've ever soldered (thanks youtube!)

Removed the entire Wiper Assembly and all brackets in the HVAC compartment, had them all blasted and powder coated. They didn't turn out quite as good as hoped so...

I went to the local dealer and bought an entire wiper assembly, motor, linkage, and arms. Waiting for the parts to arrive so I can put it all back together.

While there I bought a new battery cover for the trunk, as well as the tail trim piece. Once Luke from German Audio Specialties (m30e34 on BF) comes over to do the install of my sub box I will be able to say that at least one small part of my project will be finished! Too bad it's only the trunk... =D>

My new Rear headrest casings in Silber came in. Then a week later the headrests and mounting parts arrived. The headrests are in Cardinal Red, so will have to be re-covered. Can't wait to install it all with my son next weekend!
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

2I6es wrote:
olympia57 wrote:St Patrick's day here tomorrow so no work on the car , Pub beckons ...... :D
So, what is your singing voice like, another Paddy Clancy or Tommy Makem or is it a cross between Billy Connolly and someone else :lol:

Enjoy the Day Don and be careful around the Rose of Tralee - Vinny
A bit closer to Joni Mitchell on helium :oops:
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Today I refitted the door panels to the M635 after thoroughly cleaning out inside the door frames, and after making a new plastic membrane for one door.

Then the M635 had a quick blast followed by half a tank of fresh petrol - following that I took my 635CSiA out for a quick blast and was pleasantly surprised to find the speedo and the electric cooling fan actually still work.
nick88highline

Post by nick88highline »

Today I tidied up the newly installed rear speaker wiring which is connected to my new 6x9 JBL GTO939s that I installed a few weeks back. Still need to put the rear seats and headrests back.
BMW 635CSiA (1988)
BMW i3 (2016)
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (2000)
Morris Minor 1000 (1968)
2I6es

Post by 2I6es »

LOCUTUS is now back from the Mechanic and resting in his underground hidey hole. The trip back from Brisbane cost me an exhaust bracket, two rear CV boots as a result of a loose Diff assembly and a left rear tyre that scrubbed out. Wiring was replaced from battery to starter motor and no more problems starting. He was washed, checked for Rego and passed. The mechanic currently looking after him is so impressed with how he runs I think I may have a buyer but we will wait and see.

In the stages of planning my next trip, a small 700km jaunt around the Topend but it depends on the bloody monsoons as to whether they have finished or not.

Cheers Vinny
$DO || ! $DO : try
try: command not found

02 XR6 (m) 5sp (OD) 1701 D - "ENTERPRISE"

Long time lover of all hot I6's - BMW 635, Ford XR6 and the mighty Chrysler E49 six pack Charger
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Yesterday I spent several hours cleaning the waist trims and today another couple putting them on - next I have to clean the sill trims and remember how they go on.
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

I have four days of uninterrupted car time, my wife having taken the kids to the grandparents, which started yesterday 6pm!

This represents the fruits of much interior decoration and diy labour!

Last night I disassembled the M buffalo interior, sample of anthracite colour going off to furniture clinic in tomorrow's post having established that they can do analine leather colour.

Context of this = seats have been recoloured burgundy. A nice shade, but not done properly, hence need to return to anthracite. Seat frame broken in any case, plus various maladies with driver's side motors, so will be converting to manual.

Perversely (perhaps), these seats will go into the 635 because I'm saving the highback Recaros for the M.

Today, I'm welding the rear arch and jacking points on the M.

Aaaah, car time!

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

LH inner wing repairs all complete . Yesterday surgically removed the dreadful factory floor hole on LHS , formed and shaped the new metal to replicate the pressings and welded in . Last repair to the floor at base of A pillar stalled as I've run out of Argoshield....... :(
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Nothing for E24, but fixed some electic seats in the e23, both sides the 4 screws came out of the plate that locks the electric mechanism to the gear driver, so now i have working seats that dont give a forced recline when accelerating.

I have to fix my heater as its awlays on now, think I dislodged some wires on the thermostat part when stuffing around with the radio a few weeks ago---it never ends
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Final external trims put back on, wheel arch extensions replaced and knackered plumbing for the screen and headlight washers replaced.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

me....? this....

viewtopic.php?p=163344#163344

#-o

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
captpkelly

Post by captpkelly »

Installed the Highline upper door trims in Silber while Luke from G.A.S. was busy on day 2 of the stereo install.

I've also been going through the interior applying Leatherique Leather Rejuvenator. That is wonderful stuff there!!!
1988 M6
US model w/ build date of 3/88
Quendil

Post by Quendil »

Removed rear bumper, fuel tank and rear axel. Also some welding.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Waiting for the rain to end so I can diagnose a no-start situation (pretty sure it's the noisy fuel pump that's finally gone belly-up)
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

Putting the car up on stands tonight and will start pulling things for the front/rear strut/shock replacement.

The spring compressor arrives tomorrow. The parts arrive Thurs. or Friday, giving me about two weeks to get it all done. That sounds like a lot, but we're talking about me here... :)

The spring compressor looks pretty sweet...
BMW187

Installed Recaros

Post by BMW187 »

Installed these Recaros I bought from John Calvin last summer in Utah. Much to my surprise, they bolted directly onto the stock frames in my '83 633Csi. What luck!
Attachments
019.JPG
019.JPG (167.75 KiB) Viewed 28811 times
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Recaros rule!
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

LH floor all repaired now , first coat of seam sealer applied .
LH front steering and suspension all removed in prep for new body undercoating .
All new steering , braking and suspension components being readied for refitting .

I don't think my fingers or nails will ever be clean again.......... :(
cornershop

Post by cornershop »

New Hella blower motor and transistor fitted - thanks to the forum for the great guide/pictures, etc, even a novice like me managed to complete the job :D