check this out! best shark in australia!?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Dj454

check this out! best shark in australia!?

Post by Dj454 »

:lol:
Just found this on gumtree, check out his description further down the page!!
also look at his other items he has a go fast cigarette boat for sale!! a true E24 owner!! Its def the higher price bracket but the others on carsales have more k's for this money too...??
paint and interior look very good if photos are honest. looks original
and he said service history is as good as it gets. spoke to him done 170,000 Ks going for a look tomorrow will let you know.. anything to look out for??

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/malvern/ ... 1048935164
Last edited by Dj454 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dj454

Post by Dj454 »

Also if its as it seems what is a fair offer?
cheers
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Where's the odometer and engine photos?
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

I like the description.

Also listed under E28. Haha

He stated that it's a Bavarian Ferrari.
Never knew ferrari a come in automatic low compression straight 6's.

It does look nice though.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Foam for the tool tray shows a re-spray. Bootlid spoiler looks crooked. Keep your eyes open for why!!

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Hardly. Ridiculously verbose description accompanied by piss poor small and indistinct photos that show bugger all of what matters (what on earth is an oblique angled shot of a white bonnet with a key fob being dangled supposed to show?, the quality of the paint? I think not) leads me to think that if i was on the lookout for a 6er i would avoid this by a country mile.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

As usual, Paul's assessment is blunt but spot-on. Nothing in that ad leads me to think 'best in Australia' I'm afraid, and personally I find the story-telling description ridiculous. More appropriate photos to support this claim and a description with some credibility would be more convincing that this is a quality item. Tom makes a good point - there should be pictures of at least the engine bay to show what's really going on rather than of the bonnet, the roof, and the car from 20 feet away. It's also the first time I've ever heard an E24 described as dainty, and a/c as sweet as George Michael's breath is not something I look for in a car. But anyway, that's not the car's fault.

Given originality is one of it's primary selling points it would be interesting to know what tyres/wheels it's running, and whether they're TRXs. The one visible photo sort of looks like the wheels may be BBS or similar, but it's not clear from the photos and its not discussed in the text.

Low k's is definitely a plus, no argument, and the seller is correct in saying there are plenty on other sites well into the $20K mark, but unless they're truly exceptional they're not selling for that price - they're on carsales for months and months and months, and their prices drop. It's also correct that these cars are rare, but I disagree that it's hard to find examples in acceptable shape. Australian E24s, especially those final world-bumper models, tend to have been pretty well looked after by previous owners because they're rare and because they were so ridiculously expensive here when new.

Nonetheless, from what we can see it does look quite clean and in tidy condition (as do most 87/88/89 models), however without actually seeing it I say unless it's in pristine condition you'd be justified in offering $20K tops and seeing what response you get. We don't want to undervalue these cars!
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I had to laugh at that description. He started out fairly well, but degenerated to hyperbole and drivel in the last half, speaking much and saying nothing of substance. I can almost see him getting loaded while typing up the tome.

I agree with the consensus. RUN away from this one. Something's rotten in Denmark about that car.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
bcadmin

Post by bcadmin »

I was sold at "3 keys"

:roll:
Brian F

Bimmerless :0(

------ Former Stable -----
E31 840ci
1990 525i
1984 Graphite M635
1985 Polaris M635
1987 L6
1980 633csi
hoadie

Re: check this out! best shark in australia!?

Post by hoadie »

Dj454 wrote::lol:
Just found this on gumtree, check out his description further down the page!!
also look at his other items he has a go fast cigarette boat for sale!! a true E24 owner!! Its def the higher price bracket but the others on carsales have more k's for this money too...??
paint and interior look very good if photos are honest. looks original
and he said service history is as good as it gets. spoke to him done 170,000 Ks going for a look tomorrow will let you know.. anything to look out for??

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/malvern/ ... 1048935164
So what was it like in the flesh?
Dj454

Post by Dj454 »

just got back... in short despite eccentric ad nice guy..
car is part of an amazing collection of very impressive cars Ferrari Daytonas/275's lambo's porsches aston V8 vantage muscle car (not the crappy new one) you name it... among other things a cigarette boat with 8.5 L V8's But.....
must admit (didnt say to him) it was probably the best Ive ever seen paint with mirror finish and interior lovely amazing thick history file probably most months from every year. clearly been extremely well looked after and im sure he hasnt driven it much at all for those k's condition.
Only problem was some cracks in drivers bolster from what I could see engine nice and clean and drove pretty tight as it should. again originality a plus i guess
bottom line I said it was too much :D :D but would pay it for his V12 7 series! made a low(ish) offer he reckons he has someone else but you can never worry about that.
I dont think ive seen the end of it! :-k :-k
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Well it's certainly good to hear it's not a bag of nails. That description and the photos are doing him no favours at all though and i reckon are keeping prospective buyers away.

Regards
Paul
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

I think the guy just genuinely had some fun writing the add and his method was to make the add different to the others out there. I just think his eccentric ness made the add come accross a little strange.

Anyway makes me think next time I write a classified add it to have some vodka shots about 1hr before and see what text comes out.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Dj454 wrote:just got back... in short despite eccentric ad nice guy..
car is part of an amazing collection of very impressive cars Ferrari Daytonas/275's lambo's porsches aston V8 vantage muscle car (not the crappy new one) you name it... among other things a cigarette boat with 8.5 L V8's But.....
must admit (didnt say to him) it was probably the best Ive ever seen paint with mirror finish and interior lovely amazing thick history file probably most months from every year. clearly been extremely well looked after and im sure he hasnt driven it much at all for those k's condition.
Only problem was some cracks in drivers bolster from what I could see engine nice and clean and drove pretty tight as it should. again originality a plus i guess
bottom line I said it was too much :D :D but would pay it for his V12 7 series! made a low(ish) offer he reckons he has someone else but you can never worry about that.
I dont think ive seen the end of it! :-k :-k
Good stuff! If nothing else you at least have a baseline. Although it does seem at least $4-5000 over priced. While it's relatively low kays for it's age, 170,000km is still 170,000km and it's a lot for the price he's asking. That's 170,000km of wear and tear to the engine and suspension. I had to replace my front shocks at around 140,000, for example, replaced door seals, so on and so forth.

As a comparison, my 88/89 car has 200,000km and I've put on around 10,000km per year since I bought it 6 years ago. The paint job may not be pristine but that's more due to the fact I don't polish it, and if I were looking to sell I'd only need to spend about $1,000 on paint to make it a sellable car. It literally needs nothing else spent on it, and I'd be embarrassed to ask anything north of $20k for it.

Anyway, good luck in your search and let us know if there's anything in Sydney that takes your fancy.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

I also meant to ask: did you look at the service records to confirm it was Australian delivered? That's the first 87 car I've seen here and I wasn't aware that BMW imported 6ers that year. From memory they brought them in around 77/78, 81, 86 and 88.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Sounds quite good now! I think you've summed it up best of all... eccentric but nice guy, so that's fair enough.

I'm interested to know about the wheels, and if they're TRXs??
Dj454

Post by Dj454 »

yep very very original BBS factory wheels with black trim stripe and all four original michy TRX even the font was the correct vintage look!
kiwi.bloke

Post by kiwi.bloke »

There also seems to be a nice looking M635 for sale at a dealer in Melb for 30 odd K as well - if you are spending in the 20s should you not look at that as well?
Dj454

Post by Dj454 »

kiwi.bloke wrote:There also seems to be a nice looking M635 for sale at a dealer in Melb for 30 odd K as well - if you are spending in the 20s should you not look at that as well?
Yes seem it not very impressive uk import rust high mileage very tired overall
kiwi.bloke

Post by kiwi.bloke »

OK, well cross that one off. I am also in the market for a decent 635CSI. I am in Melbourne in a few weeks and was planning to look at that one.
Dj454

Post by Dj454 »

If getting a nice one is your main priority then id say worth a look at this one it's got what I consider everything going for it electric everything and fantastic aesthetic condition the great history adds value too . only reason I'm not acting is unfortunately because of price top bracket I think Is reasonable is 15-17???? (and timing which is less then ideal for me right now don't have garaging). I got him to 20 . Would love it but sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess.