RACING

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GripGreg

RACING

Post by GripGreg »

Hamilton wins in Monte Carlo. His team mate finishes second & parks in the second place spot but,
doesn't congratulate Hamilton! He walks off the paddock!
I saw him walk away!
Hamilton takes the high road,,,,again!! :roll:

The Red Bull air races are also fun to watch!
My wifey use to say, "If they race lawn mowers across a bar, I would watch!"
She just may be right. :lol:
Racing & tennis, what's wrong with that? :roll:
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: RACING

Post by ron »

GripGreg wrote:Hamilton wins in Monte Carlo.
It was Monza in Italy. Clue:- It was the Italian Grand Prix.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

OOPS!! :mrgreen:

But, the issue is still the teamworks involved!!
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

you should check out the coverage from the BBC and other sources. The BBC doesn't cover every race but those it does cover it covers well. We had about 9hrs of programming;

P1, P2, (all live, then P1, P2 repeated before P3), P3, Review + Qualifying, Review + Race, post race coverage, then 'F1 forum'.

I watched it all.

If Hamilton and Rosberg go the rest of the season without hitting one another I shall be very surprised.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I'm assuming Rossberg is upset because Hamilton didn't go by team orders on his headset to give up his eight second lead & let Rossberg win!
Was that Spa, or the race before?
I know I wouldn't, would anyone here? #-o

Does that mean, all things being equal, that Hamilton is a better driver? :-k
Remember Nikki Lauda, who is a vital member of the Mercedes racing group sided with Hamilton! =D>
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
ericono

Post by ericono »

You have to give some credit to Mercedes for letting them race and giving them competitive machinery. Otherwise it would have been a very boring season as the last few have been with Vettle and the race for #2.

Seems like Rosberg still has some growing up to do. He can lay down a very fast lap (in the best car on the grid), but when it comes to racecraft I believe he could use some more work. I hope some other manufacturers are able to step up next year with the complete package. There are a number of good drivers out there being let down by their cars (compared to the Mercedes works team package).

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
disqord

Post by disqord »

Ricciardo's overtake on Raikkonen was really intense.http://www.gfycat.com/AccurateClosedColt
1978 635CSi #5545154

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Rosberg is just a spoilt brat. If it all goes his way, he's fine - otherwise he throws his toys out of his pram.

There's been alot of talk in the press here that Hamilton has been "warned" to behave himself or else he'll be on his way :shock:. Amazing, bearing in mind the way Rosberg took Hamilton out the other week!

I don't know why Mercedes has renewed Rosberg's contract and not Hamilton's? Apparently Mclaren are very keen to get Hamilton back.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I think that both Rosberg and Hamilton have something to answer for but I believe there is more fault to be found with Rosberg than Hamilton.

The most telling thing to my mind is what Rosberg said of then team mate Schumacher's cynical blocking during Monaco quali a few years ago; his criticism was not that he had behaved so badly, but was more that he had made it so obvious.... so no wonder folk jumped to conclusions when Rosberg mysteriously stopped in Monaco Q3 this year....

Hamilton is contracted to Mercedes for 2015 and he will have options to buy himself out of contract before then if he wants. By the end of the season he'll either be world champion again or be seen to have been robbed of it; he'll be able to choose one of several teams to go to either way.

BTW Luca Di Montezemolo has (in stark contrast to what he said at the weekend) just quit. In fact he has been fired by his boss (chairman of FIAT) who is to take over Di Montezemolo's job at Ferrari! How bent is that? :shock:

cheers
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Unless....

Rosberg winning would all but scupper Hamiltons chances, and make the rest of the season boring, meaning less coverage and press attention for Mercedes.

This way, it keeps the season alive.

The first time Nico missed the chicane I was amazed, as he is normally so precise.

The second time, equally under zero pressure, is too coincidental to be that.
94 Porsche 993
86 BMW M635CSi (Sold! Being Restored in Poland!)
97 Jeep -winter hack!
05 325 MSport Touring
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

if Rosberg had done it deliberately I'd have expected him to look a bit happier about it. As it was he looked as sick as a parrot in the corral after the race.

I don't know if you noticed or not but he was (not for the first time) booed on the podium too.

If you want a conspiracy theory to work on, ask why it was that Hamilton's car was faulty getting away off the line; it prevented a first corner pile up quite nicely, that did.... :roll:

cheers
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

I agree Brucey - Lewis has been plagued by 'tech issues' which seem to have been resolved on Nico's side of the garage.... :-k

I was just surprised by the nature of the missed turns - no puff of brake dust, no lock up, no attempt to make the corner then pull out, in fact the second time he wasn't even on the correct line to take the corner :wink:

He's a good actor that young Rosberg, reminds me of Steve McQueen, without the Porsche off course........

I'm actually really enjoying the racing this year and do believe Lewis is the better driver in the team - want to see an all out scrap in the last race for double points!
94 Porsche 993
97 Jeep -winter hack!
05 325 MSport Touring
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

actually I though Rosberg did lock up a little on both occasions; enough that going straight on was probably the best option, since a worse lock-up would ensure and then flat spot the tyres very badly. Having said that, this can be done at will so doesn't prove all that much.

However IIRC Rosberg also locked up (rather badly) in qualifiying which may well have made his car almost undriveable at a critical moment; the vibration must have been terrible. If there is a time and a place not to flat spot your tyres Monza is it; it isn't unknown for wishbones to fail when drivers carry on using badly flat spotted tyres.

cheers
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

I think Lewis runs a slightly different brake bias to Nico and he can handle the 'squirmy' rear a bit better with a bit more rear brake which takes away the tendency for front lock ups. Having said that, no ABS, no traction control all that torque......they must be a bit of a handful!

I do admire the way these guys can still get the best out the cars with obvious defects, flat spots, down on power, aero issues...........wonder how they would handle the notorious sixer 50 mph shimmy?
94 Porsche 993
97 Jeep -winter hack!
05 325 MSport Touring