ECU chip/Other issues/items

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

williamhudd

ECU chip/Other issues/items

Post by williamhudd »

Hey I just purchased an L6 and I have a few questions:

1: I saw somewhere once that they put a particular ECU on the 6 series in the US that negated horsepower and I needed a particular chip to go in now to restore that lost horsepower, yet I cannot find the article/forum now. Is this true and which exact one is most recommended? I can easily find one but one that has been tested is always nice.

2. How many L6s were made? I've heard 1500 and 5000 so just curious

3. My production date is April of 87 so I know that makes it harder to find parts, where is the best place to find parts and what is the real difference between the parts from Pre Jan 87 to Post Jan 87?

4: Where is the beverage cooler in the L6? I was assuming the middle console in the back seat but when I opened it up it was shallow and was holding some other crap (I am pulling this car from a tow lot, the previous owner left some stuff in the the car) I am not sure if this is just a tray that pops out or what? I only looked at the car for a little bit yesterday so I am curious as to where it is located, how big it is and all that.

Thank you for your help
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Moderator chimes in . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hi William,

First off, welcome to the forum =D>

Please note that this section is for posting technical articles, how to repair something specific, for instance :-?

Therefore, I am going to move your post to the saloon for now, but also please keep in mind that if you have a variety of questions including ECU chips and production dates and whatnot in the same post, you may not get all of the answers you are looking for :-k

I would also suggest putting some 411 in your sig so that we know hwere you are, as this is truly a world wide board :wink:

:mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

1) The NA cars had lower compression, catalyst systems including O2 sensors and different programming. It was not an electronically detuned euro motor. You can change the chip for some performance advantage but will need premium fuel and depending on the option; may need engine and /or exhaust mods.

2) Don't know production numbers but if you think the number might help value: it probably won't. Not really the most desirable as it is not much more than the 635 with additional leather and weight and only offered with auto.

3) Why would you think the parts are harder to get? The L6 was produced to 5/87 and was the same mechanically and exterior parts wise to the cars produced from 5/82 on. Even the same mechanically to the e28 535. Only difference is additional leather trim.

4) beverage cooler is in the rear console. Not much more than an airconditioned glove box.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
DesktopDave

Re: ECU chip/Other issues/items

Post by DesktopDave »

williamhudd wrote: 2. How many L6s were made? I've heard 1500 and 5000 so just curious

3. My production date is April of 87 so I know that makes it harder to find parts, where is the best place to find parts and what is the real difference between the parts from Pre Jan 87 to Post Jan 87?
I don't think BMW split the L6 out specifically. The M6 and 635CSi were considered separate sub-models. BMW did keep track of market, catalyzer and transmission. If the production numbers are true, BMW only made about 2000 635CSiA for the US in both 1986 and 1987 production years. I'd presume some significant part of those were sold as L6 '87 model year cars...1500 sounds about right.

I'm not aware of any really big differences post-86 either. Might have been when BMW revised the bumpers. Much of the L6 interior trim is specific to that model (some might be common with the Highline trim option package in Europe), but trim from any post-82 cars will work...it just won't be leather-wrapped.
williamhudd

Post by williamhudd »

For some reason the engine mounts were difficult to find. FOr example they looked the exact same but they said production date Pre jan 87, the ones for the post jan 87 had to come from the dealer where they said there was no difference, yet every other part store and shop had different parts. And I know the car is heavier and only in auto but yes it is hard to find a manual, especially in this area, hard to find a 6 series in general, hell my e30 is a rarity in this area. I'll look around and see how it runs once I get a new battery in it!
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

there was a major change in the E24 which occurred 6/87 production date. Cars after this date are different in several areas, including the engine mountings. The supposed 'jan 87 changes' are non-existent in most cases and are merely reflective of the fact that aftermarket parts suppliers can't get their heads around the idea of mid-year changes to specification.

For some markets there were changes that occurred 9/86 too.

If in doubt, you can check the parts fitted to your car using realoem or BMWfans.

Once you have found the parts numbers of interest you can x-ref them through and find out which other BMW models were fitted with similar items.

hth

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
williamhudd

Post by williamhudd »

What Chip upgrades are recommended? I am looking to add a new chip to gain power and MPG just wondering what people have used and their advantages that they had. As well as doing this and a new cold air intake? Is that recommended?

Thank you
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

I had a Dinan chip in my 1985 635CSi and to be honest I didn't really notice enough of difference other than maybe a little more acceleration after the engine reached the higher rpm range. The increase might well have been from the fact the chip addition requires premium gas. IMHO not worth the expense for what little gain I found in everyday driving. I have heard that the D'Silva chip gives more response in the lower rpm range. I have removed the Dinan chip. I personally would stay with the stock air cleaner also. I drive my car quite conservatively so perhaps I am not well qualified to give advice.
Dave
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

if you really want your L6 to go better then I would advise that you get the head skimmed/modded to raise the CR and fit a different camshaft. Then get the ECU fitted with a different chip eg the Miller WAR chip which can be mapped to give anything that you want, really.

The stock system uses a 'cold air intake' already; there is a nicely shaped duct behind the right-side headlight that feeds cold air in. Aftermarket systems are mostly just noisier.

In point of fact I have been looking at the stock airbox system recently and if I am critical of it I'd argue that;

a) the dirt isn't collected uniformly in the air filter; possibly some baffles in the airbox might help matters here and

b) the exit from the airbox isn't well radiused. I don't think it is enough to choke the flow but hey, it can't hurt to make it better, right?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~