Newbie Alert with a UK E24 628csi...

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Andy318is

Newbie Alert with a UK E24 628csi...

Post by Andy318is »

How do chaps!

A month or so ago I picked up an old e24 that had been kicking around on ebay a few times over the summer. I actually bought it from a mate who had rescued it from the clutches of ebay but didn't have the time needed to get the old girl ship shape.

Not had chance to take any proper pictures but here's some robbed straight from my mates advert to get it started...

I've started to put together a list of things that have jumped into my head, I'm sure the list will grow!!

It got wheeled into the garage to start to address some of the issues, it's going to remain road worthy as I've already got a HUGE project on the go and can't have another! LOL

The plan is to have a water tight (heres hoping) usable e24 for daily duties :-)

Andy ;-)
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

That is an awesome-looking car! A great purchase. No sunroof gives you loads more headroom and makes the car very rare indeed in rhd form, even amongst the 628s, which are rare-enough anyway!

The footwells are often horrible because people have used the perversely-named "lifting pad" to lift the car. It is not strong enough, and will buckle and tear the underseal, exacerbating the rot that has already started elsewhere!

Have a look at the rear window "scraper seals", the horizontal ones at the bottom of the window. If they are gone, then rain will run directly into the sills and pool wherever it feels like it, including all around the stupidly-designed jacking points. You're likely to have to tidy up the rear of the sills inside and out, as far as the rear-beam mounting points.

Once the sills and floorpans are sorted, it's only the front inner wings that are big structural trouble spots. I dare say you've already heard the front wing horror stories, but they aren't structural in terms of your daily driver concerns.

I keep my 635 pumped full of Dynax S50 and it's holding up very well indeed having had all of the above trouble spots attended to.

Mechanically, you're on to a winner: the 2.8 M30 is a very good engine, with only the banjo bolts as the real trouble spot; the non-electronic auto box doesn't seem to go wrong and everything else is very simple - have you even got ABS?

I dare say you've picked up most of the above anyway. Congratulations on the coolest daily money can buy!

Cheers,

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
Andy318is

Post by Andy318is »

Thanks for the welcome Rob :-)

She looks good from a far but is far from good I think is the kindest way to describe the old girl!

Shes already been under 3/4 weeks of rescuing so yes the carpets have been out and were soaking wet, holes in the floor where found along with rot on the passenger inner sills which has now all been cut out and repaired :-)

The inners wings were missing the baffle and lower wing mount so I've fabricated new parts and got the front end cleaned up and undersealed.

I might start a progress thread to show the journey its been on already

Andy
'84 628csi
David Muench

Post by David Muench »

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.

Looks like a nice car from the pictures. Keep an eye out for the UK meetings where the E24 owners meet up.

David.
David.

1987 M635 Highline
2014 Mercedes B180CDi
2013 Fiat 500 C
Honda Pan European 1100
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

good work there!

looks like a very typical length of list you have!

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andy318is

Post by Andy318is »

David Muench wrote:Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.

Looks like a nice car from the pictures. Keep an eye out for the UK meetings where the E24 owners meet up.

David.
Thanks for the welcome David :-)

The pictures are very kind!! LOL I certainly will do! would be good to come along to any meets next year
Brucey wrote:good work there!

looks like a very typical length of list you have!

cheers
Thanks Brucey, from what I've read like you say my list is fairly normal :lol:
'84 628csi