Aches and Pains

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Aches and Pains

Post by sansouci »

As I get older bending over strains the legs and back. Any suggestions other than letting a mechanic do the work.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
JCS

Post by JCS »

:D
Last edited by JCS on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I am seriously considering a 2 post hoist. Justification is that I now service my own three cars plus my 2 kids :D Just need to see how I can fit it in.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Super Coop

Post by Super Coop »

Tylenol and Aleve, slow down and take it easy, I find it takes me twice as long to do things anymore, but I hate the alternitive.. :lol:
SprCpe

1989 635csi # 3268410

Ostatecznym maszyny jazdy BMW
alabbasi

Post by alabbasi »

I'm 42 and I recently started running in order to lose weight. I've lost enough weight to where I now weigh about the same as I did when I was 26 however, the impact on my back and joints can be tough some days, especially after a couple of 6 mile runs in a row.

Ibuprofen does nothing for me but Aleve (Naproxen) seems to work.

I also have a 2 post lift and would not consider getting under a car without one anymore. Think of it this way. A good used 2 poster is about $2k which is about 15 hours labor at an independent mechanic, thus cheap!
With best regards,
Al
85 M635, DFW, TX
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I cannot speak highly enough about some kind of very high lift solution and a stool/chair to work from.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Baders, you must have a seriously high garage if you've got room to install a hoist, especially if you stick it up in the air with the hood up.

Its not the underneath stuff that does your back though - that's the domain of the under dash work.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Yep, good point jps. Couple of days ago I was bent like a pretzel accessing instrument pod plugs.

Normal height garage, but could alter the ceiling structure to go higher if needed. Or there's these;

http://www.aaq.net.au/shop/detail/autolift-167212e/

http://www.aaq.net.au/shop/detail/autolift-161108/
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I have one knee that is totally wrecked, and severe lymphedema (look it up) in the other leg. I can't wait for the day I can get this put up and my days of crawling around on cardboard and carpet strips will be over. I'm having a slab poured and then a pole building built over it (which is exempt from needing a building permit here).
Attachments
Rotary 7k 1a.jpg
Rotary 7k 1a.jpg (97.5 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
Rotary 7k 4a.jpg
Rotary 7k 4a.jpg (183.27 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

This will sound a little old fashioned but how about a little exercise each day. I'm 48 and about 12 years ago started suffering increasing back pain from working as a Paramedic and the repeated lifting that the job entails. After getting a osteopath to fix my back he recommended simple press-ups and sit-ups each morning to increase core strength to a point where my back was strong enough to not get strained whenever I was working.

I have to say he was spot on and I only start to suffer when I become a slacker about my morning bends and stretches; it only takes between 5 and 10 minutes tops, and prevents nearly all aches and strains.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

I've had a 2 post lift for the past 7 years. It is the best bit of equipment you can buy and much of the work I have carried out would have been far more difficult without it.

Another benefit is that my pitched roof is high enough to allow the lift to go up enough to put another car underneath.

I still suffer from aches and pains though but I think that is age related!

They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

sharkfan wrote:This will sound a little old fashioned but how about a little exercise each day.
I'm 51 and am fitter than I was at 31. I play competitive squash twice per week and have a favourite sand hill I run up. Despite this, I'm still too old to be getting under cars.
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

ageing

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

I'll jump in on this. Jump??, I mean comment. I'll be 70 in a few months.
Six feet tall, 245lbs. I've been doing yoga 3 times a week for the last 4.5 years and has this kept me flexible! Have a bad leg/knee from a go kart accident in 1958, so I can't kneel. Working under the dash is a challenge. Dropping 25lbs would sure help. Roger

Edit: Additional benefit of doing yoga, it helps spread the vertebrae and straighten out my spine, grew 3/8 of an inch to get me back to 6 foot. Also I received a hour and a half full body message every two weeks and am have my first facial tomorrow.

I'll have to start on parts of Don's regiment, the increase of libido is of great interest, I'm only half Irish.
Last edited by rhanley 635csi89 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I'm 87 run barefoot the three miles into ,and then back from ,town each morning before 7 am with the groceries in a wheel barrow , I then normally saw up a couple of trees and split them with a blunt axe before lunch.
After a 16 oz ribeye washed down with four or five pints of Guinness I like to work on my car . I did consider a twin post lift but found that a an old length of hemp rope strung over an RSJ was quieter and cheaper than those noisy powered things when it came to lifting the car . I do still have an gantry system that I made from three of the trees that I mentioned before.This allows me to work outside from October to March as I find that heavy wind and rain is great for the complexion AND libido.
After a bit of afternoon delight I'll then do some real work .
Once home about 8pm I do like to practice my origami for 10 to 15 minutes before mowing the lawn with a pair of shears and a headtorch , I find this is best done at this time of year with the shaft of a grass rake stuck up my ass which allows me to collect the fallen leaves as I crawl along , smart eh ?
If the neighbours do complain I usually throw a couple of old cylinder heads their way which always seems to quieten them .
Supper of a smallish roast pig is usually enough .
Six days out of seven I finish the day with a two hour work out then a cold shower and into bed wet , great for muscle tone and an eight pack.....
I did get a twinge on my RH thumb knuckle in 2001 and it made me stop and think so I have slowed down a wee bit in the last couple of years .
1981 635 series 1
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

olympia57 wrote:I'm 87 run barefoot the three miles into ,and then back from ,town each morning before 7 am with the groceries in a wheel barrow , I then normally saw up a couple of trees and split them with a blunt axe before lunch.
After a 16 oz ribeye washed down with four or five pints of Guinness I like to work on my car . I did consider a twin post lift but found that a an old length of hemp rope strung over an RSJ was quieter and cheaper than those noisy powered things when it came to lifting the car . I do still have an gantry system that I made from three of the trees that I mentioned before.This allows me to work outside from October to March as I find that heavy wind and rain is great for the complexion AND libido.
After a bit of afternoon delight I'll then do some real work .
Once home about 8pm I do like to practice my origami for 10 to 15 minutes before mowing the lawn with a pair of shears and a headtorch , I find this is best done at this time of year with the shaft of a grass rake stuck up my ass which allows me to collect the fallen leaves as I crawl along , smart eh ?
If the neighbours do complain I usually throw a couple of old cylinder heads their way which always seems to quieten them .
Supper of a smallish roast pig is usually enough .
Six days out of seven I finish the day with a two hour work out then a cold shower and into bed wet , great for muscle tone and an eight pack.....
I did get a twinge on my RH thumb knuckle in 2001 and it made me stop and think so I have slowed down a wee bit in the last couple of years .
Surely you must be "Horsetan's" reincarnation :lol:
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Well I definitely struck a nerve (pun intended). I need to trade my old wife for a young one that knows one end of a spanner from another. The two post lift is interesting. Does anyone know of one that I can keep outdoors? I know there are portables with hydraulic power packs that you drag out to the slab, and plug in.
So the next step will be drugs, more exercise (my wife and I dance), physical therapy for the torn miniscus, and even yoga to keep flexible. Weight not a big problem as I'm only 15 over my Army weight.

In my driveway, I'll get a level slab as a starter. I've been using the inexpensive HF $30 creeper but it needs some padding and rough asphalt doesn't help.

I never realized until the responses, the large cohort of senior citizens (no offense intended) among us.

Thanks guys...
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)