To Chastise or not to chastise to KenKanne

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GripGreg

To Chastise or not to chastise to KenKanne

Post by GripGreg »

Hi Ken
First, I like how we relate to each other,,mostly.
But, there was no call to chastise me for letting Song know the answer to his question was already answered just
above his query.
I said, being a tekkie, he should know how to research his topic. That wasn't harsh at all! I hold onto that! I know I'm not a tekkie, but before I ask a question I try to research my question. Mostly I won't find it but, I try.

You already know I tend to stand up for myself. FYI I'm 72 & retired so I'm not a youngster!
I've learned a lot from everyone here in a positive way, let's keep it like that, please?

I notice you didn't chastise Brucey when he said to Brtle to refer to his previous post!
If you want to offer a suggestion, please, by all means, do so w/o jumping on anyone!
I've been trying to figure a positive way to say this and this is the best I can do.
I try to command respect by giving respect and I will continue.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: To Chastise or not to chastise to KenKanne

Post by olympia57 »

GripGreg wrote:Hi Ken
First, I like how we relate to each other,,mostly.
But, there was no call to chastise me for letting Song know the answer to his question was already answered just
above his query.
I said, being a tekkie, he should know how to research his topic. That wasn't harsh at all! I hold onto that! I know I'm not a tekkie, but before I ask a question I try to research my question. Mostly I won't find it but, I try.

You already know I tend to stand up for myself. FYI I'm 72 & retired so I'm not a youngster!
I've learned a lot from everyone here in a positive way, let's keep it like that, please?

I notice you didn't chastise Brucey when he said to Brtle to refer to his previous post!
If you want to offer a suggestion, please, by all means, do so w/o jumping on anyone!
I've been trying to figure a positive way to say this and this is the best I can do.
I try to command respect by giving respect and I will continue.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26768

In the years I've been on this site I've witnessed some harsh replies to questions posted which basically said " go find the answer yourself , search and ye shall find .."
It takes seconds to reply politely to a fellow enthusiast who is need of help and I know because I have been in need so very many times.
I think a little pause for thought should be taken prior to any reply maybe along the lines of "people in glass houses ...." .
I have no gripe with anyone on here so wish to make it clear that this is NOT aimed at anyone or any thread and I will not fall out with anyone over it .
I'm just making the point that we are all here to help each other and if you don't want to help or answer any question , then just don't .......but please don't abruptly tell someone to go search for it yourself.

Peace , love, hugs and kisses to everyone ........ :lol:
1981 635 series 1
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

+1 for Don's response. I research and find most answers, however, I may not totaling understand the answer, so I'll ask for more info. If I know the answer or have it in my on line library, I'll respond to the question. It's not a lot of effort to be polite! Roger
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
tschultz Online

Post by tschultz »

Greg,

I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish with this thread in the first place, but here we are.
I'm also not sure why you couldn't accomplish this over private message as opposed to a public post... but alas, you have made it public, so the public will voice their thoughts.

It seems sometimes you tend to take peoples comments as offensive, when they truly are not. Rather than airing out these subjects in the technical threads, maybe clarify first with the poster via private message? It may be possible that one or both parties has misunderstood what the other is saying :-k .
That way, the technical discussions may continue on-topic, and the 'issue' may be resolved in private.

This board has been really good about being 'adult' and generally respectful. The technical responses are also very useful and appropriate-- let's keep it that way.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OK, don't make ne turn this car around!!!

Post by GRNSHRK »

Moderator response:

Ya know Greg, I’ve been going over this thread a few times today and the poignant responses, thinking how to respond.

As a board moderator I read pretty much everything and rarely have to chime in regarding posts that are either offensive or off base. As duly noted by Tom, this is an adult forum and everyone basically acts as adults as well, which has been great to see and makes my “job” much easier.

And as Tom also noted, while this “should” be a private matter between yourself and Ken, you made it public, so here goes…

Early on, I often thought that some of your responses were a bit on the odd side, jokingly thinking that maybe you should put the bong away before you post.

But as time went on, I started to find your responses a bit more off key and sometimes offensive, lacking any real content to resolving the problem that was posed. In fact, I find it rare that you actually have any meaningful input at all! You have openly admitted not being a “techie”, which is fine, that’s why we’re here. Suggesting that a board member try using the search function first may be a good idea, and we should all know about that utility, but this type of response by no means offers much in the way of value.

In fact, it appears that all you accomplished was to piss somebody off and make more of a PITA of yourself.

Bottom line, we’ve been mulling over what to do about you, since we by no means want to bar you from the board! That, we leave to the assbites that try to sell cell phones on our beloved site.

We welcome any and all, provided they adhere to the unwritten rules of acting in a respectful manner, “try” to provide meaningful input, and the occasional fun stuff for the saloon and gallery forums.

Therefore, I am going respectfully ask you to please, tone it down a bit, show a bit more respect toward your colleagues, and make attempts at providing meaningful input instead of poking holes and creating unrest where there shouldn’t be any.

I would like to thank you in advance for reading my response, which comes from the love of the 6 and all those that do as well.
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

2nd. moderator response:-

I was wondering how to respond to your post, Greg. I think Bobbo's post has got it in one and I heartily agree with all his comments.

Please try to be nicer in future and it will make this forum a happier place for all.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Mods - please lock this thread as I am getting very tempted and what I have to say is not as nice and eloquent as any of the existing responses already put up.

My mantra - and funny as Phillip and I were discussing this recently about my divorce - DON'T BE A DICK

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Can do Ralph, but . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

...I was hoping to hear from the subject matter, alas he has fallen silent on us =;

Lemme think about it, I'll see what Brian thinks, and hopefully Ron is still checking in :-"
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Can do Ralph, but . . .

Post by ron »

GRNSHRK wrote:.
...and hopefully Ron is still checking in
Yes.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I find Greg one of the more colourful characters here on BC. There is no doubt that, like any forum, we have a complete range of personalities. In addition, there is also the fact of many different cultural mind sets and countries we all come from. I have experienced this in all major forums I have been a part of since the early '90s. It's a fact of life that there are "outliers" in all walks of life.

That said, I find BC to be probably THE most helpful and respectful forums I am a member of. I think Greg means well at all times, but perhaps should tone it down a tad. Even our venerable Brucey can be prickly at times, but people should make allowance for the different personalities we have.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Guys
I stopped trying to inject a little humor in the beginning because I was misunderstood.
Now, because I mentioned thinking that a tekkie may know how to investigate a topic, I'm under full attack? I'm misunderstood again. I do apologize for being misunderstood. There was no belittling meant on my part!
You gentlemen have been a blessing to me with your swift responses to my dilemmas.
I have also stated that my mechanical knowledge is minimal so, that's not news.
Since I'm not able to convey my thoughts the way you may understand, you won't read any 'IMHO' from me again.

I have asked the powers that be to guide me to how to enter PM's with no response, even till today.
I know everyone's busy so I haven't asked a second time. Using the old format things were easier for me but,
progress shouldn't be curtailed.

To me what someone says here should be taken at face value without trying to read in a hidden agenda.
OOPS! There I go again.... That's the last time Guys,, for sure, sorry.
Respectfully,,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

You're not under full attack Greg. We all need to bend a little to try and understand the very different points of view and also cultural backgrounds we have here on board BC. Everyone needs to think three times before they post what they post. How might my post be read by others with different outlooks. I know I try to do this, but still get it wrong some times. It's all good Greg.
Last edited by baders on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Oh, PM somebody by clicking on the little talk bubble symbol thusly;
Attachments
pm bigcoupe.JPG
pm bigcoupe.JPG (9.09 KiB) Viewed 8989 times
bcadmin

Post by bcadmin »

GripGreg wrote:Guys

I have asked the powers that be to guide me to how to enter PM's with no response, even till today.
I know everyone's busy so I haven't asked a second time. Using the old format things were easier for me but,
progress shouldn't be curtailed.
Greg,

Nothing could be further from the truth. Bobbo and I both looked into this at great lengths and we were not able to replicate the problem. This was conveyed to you.

Until I hear somebody other than Greg cannot send a PM, I have to assume it's something you're doing wrong.
Brian F

Bimmerless :0(

------ Former Stable -----
E31 840ci
1990 525i
1984 Graphite M635
1985 Polaris M635
1987 L6
1980 633csi
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

Just a crazy thought Greg, it is possible you're not receiving email notifications of responses to topics you've participated responses to? The settings to accomplish email notification is at the following link just in case you haven't set it up yet.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26428
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Thanx Baders, Brian and RHanley. This is the only time I recall getting the info I needed.
But, then, I've misplaced my memory a few times lately too. :mrgreen:
Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
henryc

Post by henryc »

Perhaps folks are a little touchy lately as we no longer have those memorable Friday photos of the female form.................
(ha ha )
/HenryC
Currently in the garage:
86 635 CSi
91 850i
91 325i Cabrio
74 MGB/GT
74 Alfa Romeo Spider
08 S2000
06 Volvo V70 T5
02 MB CL600
clipper47