The Don

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: The Don

Post by wattsmonkey »

sansouci wrote:
wattsmonkey wrote: A friend of ours married an American girl a few years back, moved to America and now he has absolutely fallen in love with guns - down the shooting range every night, absolutely passionate about the right to bear arms.
Just married and down at the gun range every night?
I suppose they go together...
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
M6smitten

Post by M6smitten »

Disclaimer: I own guns. However, I love to hear the Right and its rhetoric around the Democrat's subterfuge to eviscerate the 2nd Amendment.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... d-make-our

Nothing in Pres. Obama's plan "takes guns" from lawful owners

Just to keep the discussion based on facts versus "gut" feelings or what Trump says he has heard or read. What worries me is when Candidate Trump just drops "what he heard" at his rallies, gets his base pissed and ready to fight yet those same people take it for fact AND worse, no one seems to vet the veracity of his statements.

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/10/trump- ... take-guns/
2011 1 Series M
1974 2002 Turbo
1987 M6 (2/87) - Sold
1984 M635CSi (10/84) - Sold
2012 335 xi
2009 328 xi

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Lots of court cases around this one. But most people ignore the first half..........

(I was in the Army and did my duty during Vietnam FWIW)
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

sansouci,

Thanks for serving, I enlisted in '61 but was 4f after Whitehall street med exams.

Not the happiest day of my life.

Consider joining us @ "Idiotfest", sometime this fall.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
masonjones

Post by masonjones »

I saw the name of this thread and thought someone had named their 6er "The Don" and clicked expecting to see project pics! :-?
1985 635CSi
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

masonjones wrote:I saw the name of this thread and thought someone had named their 6er "The Don" and clicked expecting to see project pics! :-?
Speaking of naming cars, I grew up in NYC during the 50's & 60's.

Right in the middle of muscle heaven, drag racing on the service road next to the World's Fair in Queens in '66.

No one that I ever knew or heard of named their cars. It's not a NY thing, I think.

Moved to Rockland County a little upstate from NYC in '71 and joined a racing club.

Competing against all the other clubs in the area, again never heard of a car with a proper name.

Usually called by the model of the marque.

Those of you who do, can you enlighten me with any info on the naming or id-ing of your treasured chariot.

Why and what's the meaning of it all.

Just curious.

Thanks
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

86_6series wrote:
masonjones wrote:I saw the name of this thread and thought someone had named their 6er "The Don" and clicked expecting to see project pics! :-?

Right in the middle of muscle heaven, drag racing on the service road next to the World's Fair in Queens in '66.

No one that I ever knew or heard of named their cars. It's not a NY thing, I think.

Moved to Rockland County a little upstate from NYC in '71 and joined a racing club.

Competing against all the other clubs in the area, again never heard of a car with a proper name.

Usually called by the model of the marque.

Those of you who do, can you enlighten me with any info on the naming or id-ing of your treasured chariot.

Why and what's the meaning of it all.

Just curious.

Thanks
When one has several cars of the same model, it can be easier to refer to a particular one by name when having a discussion with the missus. For instance my three silver Jeeps are "Okie", "Judy" and "Wiggy". All names derived from their registration numbers. I wouldn't name a car for any other reason though.

Some cars attain a name which stays with them through many changes of ownership. For example the British Jaguar, "Dadio" (registration number DAD 10) and "The Blue Train Bentley". Not forgetting, of course, our own " Locutus" in Oz!
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Interesting. With the three same models, I would probably ID them by color, year, drive train or some other spec difference.

Thanks for the reply.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

86_6series wrote:Interesting. With the three same models, I would probably ID them by color, year, drive train or some other spec difference.

Thanks for the reply.
Of course your method would work. However, I'm talking about identifying them to my wife - and in that respect I'd just as well be speaking Martian if I used those definitions :lol:
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

That's interesting, Pod! My wife has had a consistent manner of naming the everyday car: bluey, light bluey, reddy spring to mind.

The Allegro was never named, and it strikes me that my cars never get named beyond "the 6" or "the M".

It seems entirely sensible that "Christine" had a name, of course!
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
masonjones

Post by masonjones »

Can't help wondering what "The Don" would be. I'm thinking ragtop for some reason... "The Bern" has gotta be a VW bus with headers. But what about "The Hill"? UFO perhaps???
1985 635CSi
masonjones

Post by masonjones »

Waitaminute, I think I found The Don!!!

1985 635CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

86_6series wrote:

Right in the middle of muscle heaven, drag racing on the service road next to the World's Fair.

Thanks
I did my street racing on Sunrise Highway in front of Motion Performance (they ran a gold cobra with a 427). Mine was a 396 Chevelle. Didn't name it at all as "my Chevelle" was like "My Shirona". (Google that one kiddees!.)
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Great memories.

My first wife who passed in '88 ran her '68 goat on the Connecting Highway.

http://www.connectinghighway.com/

We also used to run on the Clear view Exp. before it opened up to traffic.

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/20 ... 74231.html

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthre ... 9&page=all

Shirona

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =124397021
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Weird how this morphed into a car-naming discussion.....

My first BMW was that '95 318is. Bought for my daughter as a commuting vehicle when she started grad school in 2007. With the tiny 1.8l engine, it got named BB (Bebe), for baby bimmer.

I decided I wanted an E36 for myself, and the '93 325is I got somehow reminded me of Cassandra Petersen, AKA "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" from the TV show. Except my Elvira is mistress of the annoying and expensive.

I have been a Craigslist addict for years, and I'm forever search CL for BMW cars and parts. I came across the '85 635 in a CL ad. Listing with no picture said "85 635 BMW, $600 OBO". I had to go see it. After looking it over it came home with me. How it got named Katja is still a mystery. One day it was "the black car", and then someone called it Katja, and it stuck.

The '84 633 was a project my buddy Eddie bought and I got running. After replacing the entire suspension, and most of the bolt-ons (fpr, cold start injector, distributor cap/rotor and wires, plugs, sensors, injectors, all the hoses and a ton of other stuff), he handed me the keys and said "it's yours, for all you've done for me". Early on in the project he'd gotten mad at it, and named it his ex-wife's name, Sylvia. I thought it fit, since his ex was a redhead (the 633 is Burgundrot).

My E30 325is is Odette. The name came from Swan Lake. Odette was the princess transformed into a swan. The E30 was no princess when we got it, and I don't know if it can be considered a swan with the Hot Red paint (it's close to Zinnoberrot), but the name's stuck. The provious owner called it Ducky, as in ugly duckling.
Last edited by hornhospital on Mon May 30, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
masonjones

Post by masonjones »

Wow, thanks for sharing the great memories, I just spent way too much time on http://www.connectinghighway.com/ reading the stories and looking at the great cars. I was just a kid in CT in those days. I was in my room looking at Wacky Packs while you guys were out burning up the highway.

We're all car addicts, sorry ENTHUSIASTS! and I'm curious to hear from people which of the cars you've owned over the years would you most like to have back again? And which was the most fun to drive? Should maybe be a separate thread but this one has already morphed so many times...

I had an RX7 for a short time recently and that was the most fun to drive, hands down. The way that little engine winds up, what a blast! I see why people are obsessed with them.

The only muscle car I ever owned was a 70 Cutlass convertible I had in college. It was just a stock 350 but man was it beautiful. It was a metallic blue and with the top down there was just something about it. Photos didn't do it justice. The car was just plain sexy. That's one I'd love to have again. So many memories from that time--to see that car again would be like being reunited with an old friend. I would have to take it out for a beer.
1985 635CSi
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

[quote="86_6series"]Great memories.My first wife who passed in ’88 ran her ’68 goat on the Connecting Highway.http://www.connectinghighway.com/We also used to run on the Clear view Exp. before it opened up to traffic.

I remember starters with flags on connecting hi way. Sunrise was good, but the best was the LIE when it was only open to Manhaset put paved from there just not opened. In the very early 60s, a friend and his engine builder, would dial his dragster in there.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

sansouci wrote:
86_6series wrote:
Speaking of naming cars, I grew up in NYC during the 50's & 60's.Right in the middle of muscle heaven, drag racing on the service road next to the World's Fair.Thanks
I did my street racing on Sunrise Highway in front of Motion Performance (they ran a gold cobra with a 427). Mine was a 396 Chevelle. Didn't name it at all as "my Chevelle" was like "My Shirona". (Google that one kiddees!.)
We would come over from the North Shore and run Sunrise, a bit at the worlds fair, but guys, how 'bout some memories of running on un opened portions of the LIE? Even saw a guy light up a dragster there around 1959.

But you missed the most famous street racing location of them all in the NYC area. How 'bout Connecting Hiway in Astoria where on the week end they even had flag people starting them off
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

Speaking of car names, mine is called Teufelwagen because of all the hell it puts me through. Oh, and my favorite place to drive it was Hwy 1 from Fernandina to St. Augustine when I was stationed over in Jax, Fl. Nothing cooler than getting in line with a bunch of super cars and hauling ass down the hwy next to the Atlantic :D
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Now all that's next is putting Hillary in prison.

I just like how wrong our bias media was over the last 15 months.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

brickwhite wrote:I just like how wrong our bias media was over the last 15 months.
Same over here - and the BBC is still running programming with a left-wing bias, even though he's won. They've got all sorts of "experts" who have crawled out of the woodwork who are still knocking him #-o