Greetings from a new Guy- and HELP!

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

motolust

Greetings from a new Guy- and HELP!

Post by motolust »

Looking to get as much educated input and opinions as possible- posted on another e24 board as well

Been an Alfa guy and have had several but I have the opportunity to buy this M6 - and need your wisdom and advice-

It's a California Car- 1987 M6. Vin# WBAEE140XH2560533 A friend is selling it- he parked it 10 yrs ago without prepping it for long term storage- it has 117k miles. Has service history that i haven't read yet. He said it was running fine when he stopped driving it (he bought a porsche and lost interest) It has been stored in his driveway in the sun- dash has shrunk a bit- not terribly- the clear coat is going off in places- body is straight and has zero rust- its dirty and has 10 yrs of grime on it but it looks very straight and very ready to be resurrected. He had an audiophile's stereo installed in the 90's with many speakers added and has since been removed leaving some holes in some panels- there is no head unit- the leather seats are dirty and a bit worn but complete -not torn or ripped- I'm a sucker for non running rescue mission cars- he wants 5k. I trust him when he says it was running well. But it has been sitting for 10 yrs so it will clearly need all the systems gone through and refreshed- fuel- brakes- cooling- just to get it running then the rubber bits- tires- and then the inevitable unknown issues. He had it serviced by a local guy he is still in touch with who I can reach out to but probably won't remember the car as its been so long. Anyway- I'm thinking of selling my GTV6 to rescue this thing-. Am I crazy? Is 5k fair for a non running but complete car. Want someone to say BUY IT but also want to be realistic. I do the basic maintenance on my cars so not scared to climb around on this thing and have lots of great local mechanics avail in Socal for the more advanced stuff. What do you think?
motolust

Re: Greetings from a new Guy- and HELP!

Post by motolust »

here's a link to some pictures- going to see it again tuesday and will take more

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cbottoms/ ... 9790391021
whiskeydry

Post by whiskeydry »

Hi Motolust, and welcome to the madness. Unfortunately the link to your photos is not working. On the face of it, from what you have described, it sounds like it could be a good buy. However, be aware that the cost of getting this back in running order could be high - to very high. I understand that there are number of enthusiasts in your part of the world who can advise you on the parts situation for these cars. If you are comfortable on the spanners then that will help enormously with any potential rebuild.
All the best with it.
Phil
Current
1985 RHD M635csi #128
1999 E36 M3 Evo Convertible
2010 E91 320d Touring

Previous
E32 735i
E28 525E
E24 635csi
E28 525i
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

The only suggestion I would make here is not to sell your Daily Driver until the 6 is sorted out and reliable.....
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Nope (bad link)
Attachments
flickr 404 page not found.JPG
flickr 404 page not found.JPG (80.63 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Sounds cheap to me (by UK standards).
slofut

Post by slofut »

Another one that I'm glad it's not anywhere near me! 5k, I'd have to pull the trigger fast...
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville
motolust

Post by motolust »

I bought the car... going through all the paper work- has a stamped service book from new- all receipts - found a Dinan chip receipt in there as well- needs cleaning up- some interior work but body is very very good- a little sunburnt but super straight- zero rust. Now fingers crossed that it does come to life without much drama- has been sitting for 10 yrs so it will get a thorough sorting before trying to turn it over. Very excited- these are really very nice cars- wow. I can see why they are commanding this kind of money these days -