Non dogleg manual Trans?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

KEVIN88GT

Non dogleg manual Trans?

Post by KEVIN88GT »

Hey everyone... just curious... are all the manual Trans in 633/635 cars the dogleg pattern.... I didn't understand what a "dog leg" the Trans was until I did some reading. Would really not enjoy driving that shift pattern. Did specific model years NOT have that Trans in lieu of a traditional pattern?

Thanks in advance.
Alpinacsi

Re: Non dogleg manual Trans?

Post by Alpinacsi »

I don't know where you are but none of the North American models came with the close ratio/sport/dogleg trans. But for the other markets it was available throughout the run except for the very first model years.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

The "dog leg" shift pattern actually makes good sense. 1st gear is really only used to get the car moving, and after that you're using the remaining 2nd thru 5th gears almost exclusively, so you'd be shifting within the "H" of the rest of the pattern. It's rare that you'd ever shift down into first gear.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Diabelko

Post by Diabelko »

My US '85 has 'standard' gearbox pattern. I assume it actually is the case with E24 based on the newer platform.
1985 US 635CSi
1999 EU 530dA
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

As already described, it was exclusive to euro market vehicles.
It was more common on the early models but was an options still on the late models.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
KEVIN88GT

Post by KEVIN88GT »

Thanks guys. I'm in NYC (updated my profile).
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I wouldn't have any other gearbox. I love mine, it provides a seamless transition of power and torque. They used these very boxes in Group A racing back in the day therefore you know they are strong. First is not a problem after you get used to it.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement