Considering my *next* shark

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

henryc

Re: Considering my *next* shark

Post by henryc »

My two cents worth-
An E24 door that has to be slammed to close needs a pretty inexpensive plastic sleeve (aka bump stop, BMW p/n 51211809735) replaced on the door latch. Replace that, and your door will most likely close as it should, unless, of course, the door is not aligned properly. Most E24's have some wind noise from around the door glass these days, unless the rubber has been replaced or maintained. OBC - replace the light bulb housing p/n 65811375461 (Amazon.com, Ebay, or BMW dealer). That's a Nardi steering wheel- with the Nardi signature. Not a cheap accessory, including the hub, for that car. For people in the southern states, sure, that sunroof rust would send you running, but for folks up-north, not a big deal. I'd check those wheel arches, front and rear and the underside of the front fenders. It's amazing how that dirt collects in those spots which leads to expensive rust repair. For the price the seller mentioned after you drove the car, I'd go for it- sure there are some issues, but for that price, you could part it out and make your money back. Think how cool you'll look driving a Shark again! As my wife tells me: "Chicks dig 'em, guys envey them."
/HenryC
Currently in the garage:
86 635 CSi
91 850i
91 325i Cabrio
74 MGB/GT
74 Alfa Romeo Spider
08 S2000
06 Volvo V70 T5
02 MB CL600
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Great feedback Henry, thanks. Planning on buying it tomorrow after I have a trusted euro mechanic I know give it a once over. Looking forward to working on it. :)
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I have to say that I'm glad you're not my Surgeon by the amount of indecision involved in this purchase .......
That car would have been snapped up long ago at that price elsewhere . The faults listed on your test drive are paltry and pale into insignificance when compared to what others on this site have had to do to get an E24 .
2 minutes with a sharp pointy thing will tell you if it's rotten .
As I said before ,you'd redeem your purchase price by selling the wheels and steering wheel alone .
Buy it ........
Compare .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302131320031? ... EBIDX%3AIT
1981 635 series 1
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

ScottyK wrote:Great feedback Henry, thanks. Planning on buying it tomorrow after I have a trusted euro mechanic I know give it a once over. Looking forward to working on it. :)
For God's sake, just buy it. What do you expect for $1,200 ???
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

olympia57 wrote:I have to say that I'm glad you're not my Surgeon by the amount of indecision involved in this purchase .......
That car would have been snapped up long ago at that price elsewhere . The faults listed on your test drive are paltry and pale into insignificance when compared to what others on this site have had to do to get an E24 .
2 minutes with a sharp pointy thing will tell you if it's rotten .
As I said before ,you'd redeem your purchase price by selling the wheels and steering wheel alone .
Buy it ........
Compare .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302131320031? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I know I know. I've always been a very research oriented OCD person when it comes to cars. This one just seems too good to be true for the money.. So I'm being cautious. But, I do plan on picking it up today, soon, bypassing the mechanic.
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Can't believe Trump actually won... did anyone see Barron dozing off during Trumps speech? Prob pretty late for him to be up I suppose, but his drowsiness was entertaining.. :lol:
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

For $1200, Yes!!
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

It's home. Just delivered to me now. 1220 paid. 20 for his gas and time to deliver it to me. Parked in my driveway for now till I find a short term storage. We're building a garage, due to be complete the end of January.

When delivered:

And parked for now... :

Checked out the tools situation... Little rusty and weathered, but better than empty.

Steering wheel shot post purchase:

Thanks everyone who responded and helped me decide to close deal.. Glad I didn't pass this opportunity up. Glad this one will be saved. More soon. :wink:
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

You stole it at that .....
Glad you bought it and it looks to be in very nice condition.
Good luck with the recommissioning and get a project thread started.
Cheers
Don
1981 635 series 1
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Went to a good home, and at a great price. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and everyone here will, too, vicariously, as you show us your progress with it.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

henryc wrote:My two cents worth-
An E24 door that has to be slammed to close needs a pretty inexpensive plastic sleeve (aka bump stop, BMW p/n 51211809735) replaced on the door latch. Replace that, and your door will most likely close as it should, unless, of course, the door is not aligned properly.
/HenryC
Hi Henry, just to be sure before I buy.. is this the part you're referring to for my doors? Just order two? Thanks for the info and confirmation!

Scott

baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

That is correct. At that price, order 4 :D
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

baders wrote:That is correct. At that price, order 4 :D
Perfect. I'll do that tonight sometime. Thanks.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

You got a great deal there! Over this side of the pond you'd probably have had to pay 3 or 4x as much for a runner in that condition :wink: