Considering my *next* shark

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ScottyK

Considering my *next* shark

Post by ScottyK »

Hey everyone, my name is Scott. I am a euro car enthusiast of sorts... I recently came across a six in my area for sale that I am considering buying. I took some pictures and have some info I want to share with you, then see what you think about whether to buy this one or not. I just finished an 18 hour shift... So my narrative will be short and to the point. Sorry for that!

I bought my first six a few years ago. It was a 1983 633csi in white, with red interior and a 5-speed. I fixed it up a bit, lowered it and added breytons then just enjoyed. Unfortunately I traded it off a couple years ago and have missed it very much since. It was truly an "ultimate driving machine". Pic for reference...

Now, onto the six I'm considering today. Here's the guys narrative on the vehicle...

"1987 M Series BMW 635Csi. Bright red paint job, with new bmw racing tires and rims. New wood grain bmw steering wheel w/ autograph from some dude. (idk who) This car has never seen a MN winter, originally from California. Collector plate included. Very large truck space. Automatic windows, mirrors and seats. It is currently in storage for the winter and has been stored every winter for the last 3 years. Nothing wrong with vehicle!"

I already politely informed him this is not a m635csi, someone just badged it that way. He's asking $6000. 137k. Auto. 635csi, non L6.
ScottyK

Re: Considering my *next* shark

Post by ScottyK »

ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

ASA wheels..

Pic from his FS ad:

ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Sorry the pics are sooo disorganized... But that's photobucket for you. Now. Here's what has me pondering the buy. I have him at 2100. Worth it?

I'd redo the trunk badge to read 635csi. Remove the M badges... cuz it's not an M. Get some better 16" wheels with fat tires and lower it a bit. Then, gradually work on the painted over rust spots and get it a professional tune.
Last edited by ScottyK on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Looks like it might be Hennarot, which wouldn't be original for that year, so that's an issue. I'd pass on any rusty E24, but that's experience talking, and knowing that it's never going to be cost-effective to fix properly. Sorry to rain on your parade, but you asked.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

I'm looking for rain... that's why I asked. I'm not sold on it.. but for 2100, or less.. it got my attention. Thanks for your honest feedback. What colors were available that year? Is hennarot red? Thx.
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Hennarot is an orange-red that in the US was last used on the first run of '88 (built in '87) E30 M3's, but not on the 6-series since the earlier 633's. Different situation in other markets, though. Also, hard to tell from the pics, as digital cameras are affected by white balance issues. A red US 635 in that year would be Zinnoberrot, which is a bluish-red. Nothing necessarily wrong with a non-original color, but to do it right means painting the door jambs, engine bay, etc. Painting over rust doesn't indicate that level of commitment.

If you have the last 7-digits of the VIN, you'll find some details about how the car was built, including the paint and interior colors, production date, options, etc. Have a look at this site:

http://www.bimmer.work/
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Thanks..

Vehicle Identification Number WBAEC8401H0614621
CARFAX Vehicle History Report
Type EC84
Model 635 Csi - USA
Development Code E24
Chassis COUPE
Steering LL
Doors 2
Engine M30
Displacement 3.50
Power 0
Drivetrain HECK
Transmission AUT
Color Zinnoberrot - 138
Upholstery Lama Leder - 0209
Production Plant
Production Date 1986-10-24
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I don't know what else to tell you, other than the rust would be a deal-breaker for me. To some, cutting, welding in new panels, and painting is an enjoyable way to pass the time. Paying a shop to fix rust never works out well. How's the dash? What's the engine bay look like? Does the A/C work (and if it doesn't, don't buy "it just needs a can of Freon")?
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

I agree about the rust issues if you plan to restore the car but: for $2100 this could be a lot of car. It looks good in the pictures and the interior is nice for the age. Cracks in the dash arte expected and wear on the leather is not uncommon. Have the mechanicals checked over and look for structural rust. Also check the transmission operation. Personally I do not like the wheels, the steering wheel, rear spoiler or badging but for $2100; I would have no problem driving this car daily (you should see one of my daily drivers). It looks like you could drive this one without being embarrassed and as long as it is mechanically sound you have a very nice driver.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

For $2100 or less I'd be all over that but for the automatic transmission. Not worried about it being on its last legs, but I just don't think a 6er with an automatic is very desirable (to me). I know many of you have them and like them. Try a 5 speed, and you'll see what you're missing.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I think you may find that that steering wheel is worth 20% of the purchase price alone ......
1981 635 series 1
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

At this point I'm contemplating either offering less 15 to 1800, or expressing disinterest and seeing how he reacts.

I haven't driven it yet. Maybe tomorrow. Horn hospital, my first six was a manual.

I'd change the wheels and badges fast as well. The desirable aspects here are the price and the car being local to me. I usually have to arrange transportation and drive 2.5 hours+ one way to get an old euro that I like. This one is about 10 miles from me. When I initially expressed interest and told him I'd be interested, but it's not a 6000 car.. I told him I'd be interested for less than a third of his asking price. He countered by offering it to me for 2100, after he realized it wasn't an M6, has been repainted and is a less desirable auto. So... That's where it's at for now.

Keep the feedback, opinions and comments coming! The more experienced perspectives I have, the better! Thanks

Scott
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

If you like the way it drives and can steal it, I'll agree with Todd (alpinacsi) and say buy it as a fun daily. I don't think the wheels are bad, and they've been used on E24's before. They look to be in great shape, so you can probably sell them easily if you want something different. Be thankful the original TRX wheels and tires are gone.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Was informing current owner about the colors, original and current. He quickly texted back "ok but I need to sell ASAP due to a financial bind". Going to look at it tomorrow morning after work. He says everything works, drives great and needs nothing... We'll see. Thinking for the money, this is a pretty good buy on a six. Most in this price range would need something major or a bunch of moderate fixes to be drivable or appealing to the eye..

In some ways it's more attractive to me than a well sorted all original one for 6k+.. This one I can tastefully modify and not feel bad about messing with its originality. Sounds like PO had it shipped to mn from Cali. Then this guys had it the last three years, driving occasionally and otw stored... Decisions decisions. To take the risk of saving this one or not...

I'll update after driving it tomorrow.
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Ran the carfax. A few owners... But not bad for nearly 30 years. I'm guessing the 1 year owner was a dealer. Carfax says it's a L6... Interesting. I thought L6's had more interior leather?

ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Also, that pic of the back window... Any idea what caused that? Just dirty?
Finally6

Post by Finally6 »

For the price you are going to offer I think it is a good car. I see the rust on the sunroof panel, but don't see it elsewhere. Although it has had a repaint judging by the paint line that is at the top of the windshield molding. Looks like it wasn't removed when painted. Why was it painted anyway?
Northern VA, I-95 drone...
RHD 81 635
02 530i
00 528iT
91 535i
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

He doesn't know why it was painted... It was painted before he bought it and he bought it from a dealer thinking it was a cool car.. He bought it three years ago when he returned from Afghanistan.

He told me this today when I test drove it. Good news: Started right up. Drove well, driven on the interstate up to 75mph and some city, about 10 miles total. Seat electronics all work. Windows work. Aftermarket radio works. AC works. Spedometer, odometer, rpms and mpg gauges all work. Paint is glossy, not grainy. Car is straight. Blinkers and tail lights all work. Moonroof works. Trunk and hood open and close nice. Tools in kit all there. No rust inside trunk or engine bay. Paint/body look clean from 5 feet. Wheels are ok shape. Tires have a lot of tread 235/45/17 contiextremecontact. No light lenses broken or cracked. Clean carfax. Clean title.

Bad: drivers door needs to be slammed to close right. Needs new window seals, lots of wind noise. Heat blower doesn't work. Driver seat back only comes up so far.. Okay for me tho at my size. Obc screen broken.. Computer seems to work, but nearly impossible to read. No low beams. One high beam works. Fogs don't work. Paint overspray lots of places... On black rubbers, bumpers, exhaust pipe, etc. looks like bad prep (taping) but a good paint job (glossy). Kinda odd. But some paint is chipping here and there. Very small spots but once it starts... Yeah. Up close, a few cosmetic issues. Interior some leather pieces/sections loose or hanging off. Dash is cracked above the guage cluster and on the passenger side. That's all I can remember at the moment.

Bottom line. I told him I'd rather help him sell it to someone else for more than buy it. I'd do this for free. He asked if I'd do 1800. I told him the most I would do is 1200. I know that's low for what this car is... But that's what it's worth to me. The poor paint job is pretty much a deal breaker. If the paint were original and nice, I'd be offering 3 to 4.

Told him if he decides to not take my offer, I'll post it on euro forums, Facebook clubs and redo his craigslist ad for him to be more detailed. I suggested if he does that to list it for 2800ish and hope for 2100ish or better. He said 1200 would help him out right now and that he would discuss it with his girlfriend and get back to me.

I feel like a dick for making such a low offer, but seriously.. That's just where I'm at.

Thanks everyone for your feedback thus far.
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

He said he bought it from fury auto? I think? Something like that... Under the impression that it was a M635csi. Obviously the fault is his for not doing more research there on his part... But who does that to a younger gentleman who just got back from Afganistan? That angers me. [-X
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

He texted me this afternoon while I was sleeping saying he will take 1200.

Thoughts? Is the car worth saving as a fun nice weather driver? The major con is that it's been re-painted and it was a sloppy job. Otherwise the other needs/issues are common and curable. What to do...
DesktopDave

Post by DesktopDave »

I think that's a fun daily driver. For the money it's a bargain unless there is some massive amount of hidden frame rust. If you pass on the deal, definitely post the details. I wouldn't worry about an offer as long as it's fairly made. There were times in my life that cutting a car loose for $1200 would have made a huge difference. There are occasional $3K E24 around here in far worse condition, especially with rust...some don't even run! Unfortunately for the seller, E24s are slow sellers. I've seen them sitting on CL for months unless they're in exceptional shape.

I hate to admit it, but I like that steering wheel a lot more than I thought I would. Is the signature from some guy named Nardi? :D Looks like some previous owner was going for a retro E9 look. I've heard it said a lot of times, but it's still true: "The best money to spend on a car is the previous owner's." If the car turns out more dependable than expected, spoil it with some OEM stuff.
'86 635CSi, currently running a B32 with Motronic 1.3
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

It is a nardi steering wheel. I told him when I was there driving it, the steering wheel alone sells for nearly 1200 new. I personally like the steering wheel. Feels nice. Looks nice.

Anyways.. Here's my previous sixer. 83 633csi manual. 46k original. White on red.

And the one I'm considering. 87 635csi auto. 136k original. Red on tan.

86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Can't go wrong for $1200
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3