Anti speed camera stickers

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DRPM635CSi

Anti speed camera stickers

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Just wondering if anyone has any positive experience of buying and using these on their cars?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBE2S0Uk8P4

I'm looking at this sort of snake oil thing in desperation against increasingly punitive camera fines being used by the government where I live in a desperate measure to bolster their finances after running the state into recession and massive deficit. Not looking to start a discussion about the merits or otherwise of sticking to the speed limit, just about the worth or otherwise of dropping some $$$ on trying these stickers. Any experience or comments on these in particular?
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Anti speed camera stickers

Post by Pod »

I bought a rear number plate which is designed to be "flash resistant". I haven't had it on the car yet, but if you take a photo with flash, it certainly doesn't show up as well as the original. Whether or not the software of the local enforcement people can still determine the number remains to be seen..........

I'll take a couple of snaps later and post them on here.

Post by 635911 »

I am pretty sure they are illegal in NSW.

The highway patrol car systems are scanning something like 10 number plates a second, and the machine just wakes up the cop if something (like a warrant, unregistered etc) is amiss. I don't know what it would do if it just can't see a plate.

Might be good for cameras, but may be a liability with patrol cars.

Toby
1986 635 CSi Lapis Blau with Anthrazit buffalo
1988 911 3.2 231HP Grand Prix white (Sold - 13 years of Zuffenhausen fun))
1984 BMW R80 G/S Dunkel Blau
1982 Yamaha SR500 scrambler
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Fortunately over here in WA, actual patrol cars on the road are almost never seen anymore. At least not in metropolitan areas. Even when you do see one, it's not on traffic patrol duty, rather it's just transport for the officers to attend the latest domestic dispute or to arrest Ben Cousins again on his latest crystal meth bender.

In WA, it's all about raising revenue to see this bankrupt state through to the state election next March and then after that it's someone else's problem that Colin Barnett doesn't care about because either way he'll be retiring straight after. The best way of raising revenue is with roadside cameras and lowering the thresholds as far as possible that will still stand up to challenge in court. They've employed both tactics with a vengeance here. We've already got 7 fixed speed cameras on our one and only freeway and they've announced they want 30 within the next 2 years. All the fun has already been sucked out of driving here in WA. Now it's just a case of trying to make it still worthwhile doing for pure transport reasons without it costing another $100 each and every time you dare to venture the other side of your front door.

The 'seller' has responded to my e-mail inquiry now anyway and to describe his 'offer' as unbelieveably extremely dodgy would be the understatement of the year 2016 I think. See for yourself.

Code: Select all

I'm not seller, I sell just information where to buy and how, it is just one site who sells like stickers online, they send from poland. I can send this web sites link if you send 10$ to me to my paypal address  [email protected]  when you send 10$ then send me email here and I'll tell you adress of this site and how to buy from this site.
Yeah, right. Anyone's who gullible enough to send $10 to some annoymous kid on the other side of the world for "information" deserves to get ripped off. Anyway, further investigation reveals the stickers to only be effective against flash photography which only happens at night here. Since my last four camera fines have all been taken during the day, it's pretty pointless.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

There is another solution, though, naturally I am not suggesting that you take action on my purely theoretical musings.

Over here, some of "the boys" have been adopting the ANC's "Burning Necklace" method for some years now. Simply put, an old tyre is placed around the speed camera, accelerant is placed in it and ignited. No more speed camera! From observation, if a particular camera location is repeatedly targetted, the authorities usually give up.

I have a satnav-like warning system which bleeps when I am approaching a speed camera location. See "Inforad". It works very well and apparently is not illegal in the UK as it is not a detector, just a reminder which indicates that a camera has been logged at that spot. You can programme distances/speeds etc. to suit your own requirements.

I have absolutely no problem with speed cameras which are sited at known accident black spots. What drives me mad is the placement for purely financial purposes. Apart from that, they only usually work for out-of-town people who do not know where they are. The locals just slow down and speed up again :P
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Pod wrote:Over here, some of "the boys" have been adopting the ANC's "Burning Necklace" method for some years now. Simply put, an old tyre is placed around the speed camera, accelerant is placed in it and ignited.
Yeah it's been tried here too, though here the cameras have CCTV as well, so the offenders are always caught. They then are given a $90,000 bill to replace the camera they destroy.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

DRPM635CSi wrote:
Pod wrote:Over here, some of "the boys" have been adopting the ANC's "Burning Necklace" method for some years now. Simply put, an old tyre is placed around the speed camera, accelerant is placed in it and ignited.
Yeah it's been tried here too, though here the cameras have CCTV as well, so the offenders are always caught. They then are given a $90,000 bill to replace the camera they destroy.
They need to get "Ned Kelly" headgear :lol:
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

This group, in addition to being the most wonderful source for E24 information, is the greatest curiosity-raiser I've ever encountered.

Case in point.... I just spent a half-hour reading about Ned Kelly. =D>
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

hornhospital wrote:Case in point.... I just spent a half-hour reading about Ned Kelly. =D>
I was going by my recollection of Mick Jagger starring as the outlaw in the film of the same name, with a steel bucket on his head IIRC :-)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

The Mick Jagger version was execrable. The Heath Ledger version much better :D

On the subject, Western Australian Police (WAPOL) and the Government are notorious for revenue raising via speed cameras. Local governments are also jumping on the cash cow what with parking fines for everywhere. It has become so bad that I am seriously considering moving to acres in the bush.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

There is an app called Waze that blends GPS and traffic notification with social networking. Users can list speed traps as they discover them, or any temporary issues to be on the lookout for. I like the app, and can run it without network connection on my HTC OneM8 that is dedicated to car use. When I use my new phone as a hotspot, I get full data functions. I am a real fan of Waze, especially if driving in an new-to-me area.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Da_Hose wrote:There is an app called Waze that blends GPS and traffic notification with social networking. Users can list speed traps as they discover them, or any temporary issues to be on the lookout for. I like the app, and can run it without network connection on my HTC OneM8 that is dedicated to car use. When I use my new phone as a hotspot, I get full data functions. I am a real fan of Waze, especially if driving in an new-to-me area.
The WA police have that covered too. The fine here for even touching your mobile phone while behind the wheel is $400 and something like 4 demerit points on your licence. That's just normal. The penalties double each holiday/long weekend period (like right now). They even have dedicated teams of unmarked motorcycle cops wearing helmet mounted Go-Pro cameras who weave in and out of the stopped traffic at rush hour and at lights surreptitiously looking into driver's windows from behind in order to catch people. You can't help but get the impression here the cops' main role is to maximise revenue above all else. Fines are so commonplace here now, there's absolutely no shame or embarrassment at all in receiving one. They're widely accepted as being just another largely unavoidable tax. My friends have no shame in sticking them to the fridge under the magnets with all the other bills for payment. Everyone gets them, so there's no shame in others seeing them.

With the appalling traffic + the overzealous issuing of fines for everything, driving in WA has really had the fun sucked out of it. I've never driven less frequently or slower than I have done for the last few years, yet I've received more fines than ever (4 in 2 years) for < 10km/h over the limit (speeds which are virtually imperceptible on my car's bilingual MPH dominant speedo that reads to 280km/h)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

To be blunt, I agree with fines for fiddling with your mobile phone whilst on the move. The amount of near accidents I have seen resulting from some knob texting is beyond belief. Most people just do not have the situational awareness to manage this. My cars are completely hands free.

BTW, I had some fun couple weekends ago going up around Clenton Road in the M3. Heading down to Albany next break so will have to exercise some careful fun :D
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

baders wrote:BTW, I had some fun couple weekends ago going up around Clenton Road in the M3.
Be careful on Clenton Rd, that's a favourite of the Gidgegannup cops too! They know all too well what a popular bike club run road it is and patrol it regularly to catch the 'hoons' coming the other way. Last time I drove it, I was very lucky not to get busted by the cops coming the other way. I was just incredibly fortunate to come across them at one of the hairpin bends when well under the official limit (even if well over the advisory one).

Even if they don't get you actually on Clenton Rd, all the cameras on Gt Eastern Hwy on the way there or coming home again probably will!
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Oh I didn't break any speed limits, just double and a bit the advisory signs. Mind you, the M3 was still just doddering along :D
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

California also has aggressive laws about using your phone while driving, but there is provision to allow for hands free usage. My old HTC One lives in a hands-free cradle and switches to car mode. So it complies with our laws. You don't have the same in WA? Literally touching your phone, even in a hands free cradle to shut it off or answer the call is a problem? What about a friggin GPS unit? If you touch it while driving you get a ticket?

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

You see the problem well Jose. Where do you (or rather, the law) draw the line ? Both my cars are now set up for hands free. I have no need to touch my mobile phone at all. This is legal in Western Australia. Touching a GPS unit ? I believe that that is OK as well, but of course if it was the cause of an accident, then you would be charged.
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Da_Hose wrote:California also has aggressive laws about using your phone while driving, but there is provision to allow for hands free usage. My old HTC One lives in a hands-free cradle and switches to car mode. So it complies with our laws. You don't have the same in WA? Literally touching your phone, even in a hands free cradle to shut it off or answer the call is a problem? What about a friggin GPS unit? If you touch it while driving you get a ticket?
Yes, we have the same hands free provision here, but yes, I believe you are not allowed to touch the phone at all while driving even if it is mounted in a dash cradle. You may well ask how that works then? It doesn't, but they don't care. It's all about making money for the government here. If they film you with their helmet Go-Pros touching a screen of any kind not connected with the task of operating the vehicle, you get a $400 fine.

Clearly the laws are way behind on this issue and it's a real mess. Cars these days have GPS built in to the dash and is therefore an integral part of the car's operating gear, so it can't be illegal you would think. But an aftermarket GPS stuck to the windscreen does the same thing but is not part of the car's OE, so it is illegal? A phone can be a GPS too (and often more accurate + more reliable than a dedicated GPS unit), but that too is illegal because it can also be a phone and everything else. It's a nightmare and the authorities here are doing nothing to clear up the confusion because as fast as they do, the manufacturers come up with another hybrid technology that disrupts and breaks all the laws again.

The solution the authorities are taking here at least is to just blanket ban everything and issue speculative fines willy nilly until someone has the balls and money to take them to court and challenge it. Until that happens, I don't think anything will change in a hurry. In the meantime the government is raking in $400 fines all over the place, so from their perspective they don't care. Confusion wins for them.
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

baders wrote:Touching a GPS unit ? I believe that that is OK as well, but of course if it was the cause of an accident, then you would be charged.
A guy here in recent days has just driven his modified (looked that way to me with all-blacked out pimp-mobile 20+" wheels from the media photos) late model Toyota Landcruiser, straight into the back of a motorcyclist + four other cars all fully stopped at a suburban traffic light, killing the motorcycle rider stone dead instantly and damaging 5 cars in total.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 25cc0d4076

The media is reporting the police as being frustrated at driver distraction causing accidents. The assumption being they believe the Landcruiser driver did not suffer brake failure or a sudden onset medical condition that prevented him using the vehicle's brakes like a normal person would.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

I had my Jeep booked in for parking at Stansted airport last week. The instructions were that the ANPR camera would read my 'plate and open the barrier without me needing to take an entry ticket. I didn't work and I had to take a ticket to get in, which showed a mis-reading of the number. Yesterday when I tried to drive out, it still didn't recognise my car and tried to charge me £168 to exit the car park (my pre-booked stay was about £28 for the week).

Today, my local Sainsbury's (supermarket) ANPR did not read my 'plate (they usually display the number as you drive into the car park). Its filthy due to the crap spraying up off the roads. Maybe I'm on to something here. I won't be cleaning the 'plates any time soon :wink:
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

You bring up a good point. There are lots of automated places now that read number plates and having unreadable plates (whilst a good thing from a privacy point of view) will become increasingly inconvenient as automated systems make it ever more difficult for you not to assimilate. If you had to manually argue with a human being every single overcharge as a result of an automation machine failure to read a number plate, you'd get very sick of that very quickly and just give up.

Of course the automated systems are programmed to default to the maximum possible charge in the case of a mis-read, thus ensuring you have to argue everytime it gets it wrong.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

DRPM635CSi wrote:You bring up a good point. There are lots of automated places now that read number plates and having unreadable plates (whilst a good thing from a privacy point of view) will become increasingly inconvenient as automated systems make it ever more difficult for you not to assimilate. If you had to manually argue with a human being every single overcharge as a result of an automation machine failure to read a number plate, you'd get very sick of that very quickly and just give up.

Of course the automated systems are programmed to default to the maximum possible charge in the case of a mis-read, thus ensuring you have to argue everytime it gets it wrong.
Points taken, however;

1) I will never be Borg :wink:
2) If a roadside ANPR camera cannot accurately read my 'plate, then I will not get fined \:D/