People that lean against your car......

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

People that lean against your car......

Post by olympia57 »

Just back from a local classic car run and whilst cleaning my car prior to puttinig it back in the garage I noticed a little nick on the coach line and when I looked closer there was a scratch below. It's definatly been caused by a rivet on the back pocket of a pair of jeans .
Against my better judgement I parked where I was directed to ,which was in the middle of the group of 40 cars., and it must have happend when we were having lunch.
Not through to paint but I'll have to carefully fill with lacquer and then wet sand.
Never again , over here they are very unconcerned about leaning against parked cars , if I find someone parking their arse against my car , they'll remember me ! :evil:
1981 635 series 1
fazerman

Re: People that lean against your car......

Post by fazerman »

Hey Don,

Martin here, sorry to hear that about your car, very inconsiderate of someone , i,d have been raging myself ! hope you get it sorted easily enough, :|
ozbmwnut

Post by ozbmwnut »

This is a pet hate of mine. Whenever i see anyone lean against ANY car (not even mine) is makes my blood boil...

Really sorry to hear this has happened to you sir.
3/1986 Complianced, Aust delivered E24. Bronzit with Pearl Beige.
Garage buddies: E9 3.0 csi Polaris Silver, blue leather ; E34 M5 Alpine White, Black extended leather ; E39 M5 Carbon Black, Caramel Heritage Leather.
nick88highline

Post by nick88highline »

How about this one:

I was driving through Spain a few years ago in my 635 and at one petrol station I noticed a car pull beside mine, open the door into my car, and then proceed to use the roof as a picnic table #-o

Good job that I'm not too fussed about things like that, but I would never dream of doing that to someone else's car. :shock:
BMW 635CSiA (1988)
BMW i3 (2016)
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (2000)
Morris Minor 1000 (1968)
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Scratching paint is not cool by careless people, but

When I take the 85 m635 or the 63 Tr-4 out I make sure if there are Kids there (Car Show, club event, Family event) that they get in the car sit inside and play with the steering wheel and buttons.

I love when they ask if the radio works or if it has one.

How often do kids see a 80's 6 series or the ol Triumph. You want these cars to survive, get the the kids interested. Get them off the Screen

A broken stalk or button is easy to fix.

It's just a Car you could get T-boned tomorrow.

my .02
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

brickwhite wrote:Scratching paint is not cool by careless people, but

When I take the 85 m635 or the 63 Tr-4 out I make sure if there are Kids there (Car Show, club event, Family event) that they get in the car sit inside and play with the steering wheel and buttons.

How often do kids see a 80's 6 series or the ol Triumph. You want these cars to survive, get the the kids interested. Get them off the Screen

my .02
I commend your joie de vivre and magnanimity ........Me ? I'd break their , and their fathers, fingers with glee if they touched my car .
1981 635 series 1
ozbmwnut

Post by ozbmwnut »

brickwhite wrote:Scratching paint is not cool by careless people, but

my .02
I agree partially with what you are saying, but when i was a kid, i had it drummed into me to have respect for other people, AND OTHER PEOPLES PROPERTY......
3/1986 Complianced, Aust delivered E24. Bronzit with Pearl Beige.
Garage buddies: E9 3.0 csi Polaris Silver, blue leather ; E34 M5 Alpine White, Black extended leather ; E39 M5 Carbon Black, Caramel Heritage Leather.
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Not sure what language you are speaking but... most kids are good around cars.

They are not the ones who leave the scratches its the Adults that usually cause issues.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Kids usually just leave fingerprints in your nice highly polished paint, except for the young lady in the pic #-o

But as this was at a car show, I find absolutely NO excuse for this type of behavior, period :evil:

This bit about a broken stalk or button as acceptable is ridiculous, regardless if it can easily be corrected or not [-X

I attend (and enter) lots of car shows out here in sunny CA and many of the classics have signs posted on them to look but don't touch, for good reason :-"

Sheesh, what happened to respect for other people's property, especially "pride and joy" type items such as classic and preserved vehicles :-?

My $0.02 as well, take it for what it's worth, agree to disagree in this case [-o<
Attachments
Happy Fathers Day.JPG
Happy Fathers Day.JPG (105.26 KiB) Viewed 8593 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
///Moe

Post by ///Moe »

If everyone was to get in and out of a car or tampering with it in any way, it easily would have gotten some scratches and marks here and there.

Doing it once or twice with an older car that have been daily driven and carfully taken care of since new, with the patina that it got wouldn't have done any harm to the car. It just would have gotten a few more dings to it that nobody would ever notice.

But letting people climb all over the car every time they felt for it or at any car show or meeting you attend to, it quickly would have become a lesser looking car with scratches and marks all over it. And the interior would have gotten a lot of marks from all the people that cannot lift their ass while stepping into a car, but rather sit on the side bolster and slide their way into the seat. I hate it when people do that to my car's!

Yes, I sometimes DO let children (relatives) near my cars or to go with me for a ride in them, but never unattended. I don't use hours and hours and a lot of money on the cars to get them shiny and better looking, just to let others be reckless around them.

I have the impression that people who aren't interested in cars or only have newer cars them self, that they swap in for a another car every once in a while don't have the same sight on cars as I do. For them it's just an equipment to transport them self, their family and belongings around. Their cars look good when they buy them, and they sort of does when they go on and sell them to buy their next car. But in reality these cars are full of swirl marks, their paint is dull and not that deep and shiny anymore. There's scratches and marks all over the car that most people wouldn't notice. Sliding in and out of the seats, stepping on the sills and spilling things inside the car, using the roof or bonnet as a bench for their belongings and so on, for years and years..

These kind of people often sell their car when it's 5-15 years old and don't think of it as "worn" because they have ruined it over such a long (short?) time that they didn't even notice what damages they did to their own car. But we know. These are the kind of people who doesn't understand that leaning against a car will leave scratches in the paint, even small one's. And if you get enough of them, the car will look like shit. They have a different perspective to how a car should be threated, than we do. They think older cars that are good looking, looks that way because they have been well threated, regularly washed and garage kept (in some case they do). They don't understand the labor, time and money some people have put into their cars, especially older one's with an extra need for attention, to get them that way.

If all cars was to be threated like this until they were 20-30 years old, most of them would look like shit and would be in serious need of attention to be able to rise and shine again.

Another example are people who buy already "finished" entusiast cars/classics but don't do much work to their cars themselves. They buy them because it's their dream car and now is the time they have money and opportunity to buy them. They don't understand the time and effort the previous owners may have put into it to give it that pristine look. They take good care of them and don't drive them all the time to try and keep it that way, but they also like to bring them to shows and let people sit in them, use them in parades and so on. Not that it's a bad thing to let the population see them up close. But I think such people threat their entusiast cars differently than the one's who bought them in a bit more neglected shape and put a lot of time and effort into it to get it that way. They are often more careful with what they got.

What I meant in short: I don't put a lot of time and money into my cars, only to let others ruin them. I'm scared to let other people tamper with my belongings, because they may not have the same thoughts on how to threat them as me. Of course I'm not like that with all kinds of cars/belongings, but with the nicer one's I am. When I'm aiming for showroom finish on things, I want it to stay that way for as long as possible afterwards.

Damn this post became long! :shock:
E24 635CSiA 85' (garage queen)
E24 628CSiA 83' (turbo/manual?)
E23 745i 82' (turbo project)
E23 728i 86' (745i project)
E23 728i 79' (part's car) [x]
E28 525i 81' (part's car) [x]
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

///Moe wrote:If everyone was to get in and out of a car or tampering with it in any way, it easily would have gotten some scratches and marks here and there.

Doing it once or twice with an older car that have been daily driven and carfully taken care of since new, with the patina that it got wouldn't have done any harm to the car. It just would have gotten a few more dings to it that nobody would ever notice.

But letting people climb all over the car every time they felt for it or at any car show or meeting you attend to, it quickly would have become a lesser looking car with scratches and marks all over it. And the interior would have gotten a lot of marks from all the people that cannot lift their ass while stepping into a car, but rather sit on the side bolster and slide their way into the seat. I hate it when people do that to my car's!
20170304_133851 - Copy (Medium) (Small).jpg
20170304_133851 - Copy (Medium) (Small).jpg (87.54 KiB) Viewed 8507 times
Yes, I sometimes DO let children (relatives) near my cars or to go with me for a ride in them, but never unattended. I don't use hours and hours and a lot of money on the cars to get them shiny and better looking, just to let others be reckless around them.

I have the impression that people who aren't interested in cars or only have newer cars them self, that they swap in for a another car every once in a while don't have the same sight on cars as I do. For them it's just an equipment to transport them self, their family and belongings around. Their cars look good when they buy them, and they sort of does when they go on and sell them to buy their next car. But in reality these cars are full of swirl marks, their paint is dull and not that deep and shiny anymore. There's scratches and marks all over the car that most people wouldn't notice. Sliding in and out of the seats, stepping on the sills and spilling things inside the car, using the roof or bonnet as a bench for their belongings and so on, for years and years..

These kind of people often sell their car when it's 5-15 years old and don't think of it as "worn" because they have ruined it over such a long (short?) time that they didn't even notice what damages they did to their own car. But we know. These are the kind of people who doesn't understand that leaning against a car will leave scratches in the paint, even small one's. And if you get enough of them, the car will look like shit. They have a different perspective to how a car should be threated, than we do. They think older cars that are good looking, looks that way because they have been well threated, regularly washed and garage kept (in some case they do). They don't understand the labor, time and money some people have put into their cars, especially older one's with an extra need for attention, to get them that way.
20170304_133848 - Copy (Medium) (Small).jpg
20170304_133848 - Copy (Medium) (Small).jpg (78.47 KiB) Viewed 8507 times
If all cars was to be threated like this until they were 20-30 years old, most of them would look like shit and would be in serious need of attention to be able to rise and shine again.

Another example are people who buy already "finished" entusiast cars/classics but don't do much work to their cars themselves. They buy them because it's their dream car and now is the time they have money and opportunity to buy them. They don't understand the time and effort the previous owners may have put into it to give it that pristine look. They take good care of them and don't drive them all the time to try and keep it that way, but they also like to bring them to shows and let people sit in them, use them in parades and so on. Not that it's a bad thing to let the population see them up close. But I think such people threat their entusiast cars differently than the one's who bought them in a bit more neglected shape and put a lot of time and effort into it to get it that way. They are often more careful with what they got.

What I meant in short: I don't put a lot of time and money into my cars, only to let others ruin them. I'm scared to let other people tamper with my belongings, because they may not have the same thoughts on how to threat them as me. Of course I'm not like that with all kinds of cars/belongings, but with the nicer one's I am. When I'm aiming for showroom finish on things, I want it to stay that way for as long as possible afterwards.

Damn this post became long! :shock:
20170304_133834 - Copy (Medium) (Small).jpg
20170304_133834 - Copy (Medium) (Small).jpg (70.47 KiB) Viewed 8507 times
No offence Moe , but I couldn't resist it .... :wink:
1981 635 series 1
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

///Moe wrote:

What I meant in short: I don't put a lot of time and money into my cars, only to let others ruin them.
+1 on your thoughts, Moe =D>
rlane97

Post by rlane97 »

I took my nearly 3yo daughter to her first Cars and Coffee a couple weeks ago. She was taught to keep her hands behind her back when close to the cars. She did great. She's going to grandma's this weekend while we're at Sharkfest, so I don't have to worry about that.
Lane
1995 M3 Red w/ 5spd DD (Bought 1/2012)
1980 633CSi 4spd manual, 45k (bought 10/2010)
2003 530i Dinan5 (exh/eng&trans chips/Stage 2 susp.) wife's DD
2005 325i (sold), I'll never forget my 1st BMW
1979 633CSi 5spd (sold) & a 4spd Auto (sold)