I want an E24 :)

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rooban

I want an E24 :)

Post by rooban »

Hi all,

Hurrah, I found a great resource where everybody is a bit crazy about the same thing as I am :)

For years I have been drooling on every E24 rolling past me on the streets and each time saying to myself - "one day I will have one of these". Now I decided to take it a few steps further and actually find out what are the options available to me.

As far as the model goes I would like either a 635CSI or an M. But M is probably out of financial reach for now so the first one would probably end up being a "regular" 635 :)

The first thing I need to decide - do I go out and buy a ready to drive car or find one in a not-so-mint condition and restore. The first option is much easier (and probably cheaper) but it might not have all the features I would ideally want (body color, transmission, options, engine etc).

The second would obviously be a lot harder and require a TON of time and research. I am not a car mechaniс so I (at least at first) won't be able to perform most of the things needed. But I think if you plan on owning a Shark you will have to get into the engineering part at some point so why not start as early as I can?

Here I would like to ask for your input as to should I even bother on planning a restoration project or it's so time- and money consuming and technically complex that I should only dive into it if I other options are unavailable? Of course this depends on what condition the original car is in and what state I am planning to bring it to...

I am from Tallinn, Estonia, so there are quite a lot of ready-to-drive cars available in Europe (Germany obviously being the biggest source) but the prices are not ideal so to say :) As far as I have researched a 635 with manual transmission, year 85+ and in a good shape would almost certainly cost at least 12-15k EUR. I am going to consider getting a car from abroad (USA, Canada, Japan etc) but I still haven't

Anyway, I'm very happy to have stumbled across bigcoupe.com, hope to become a regular :)

BR,
Mark
alpina17

Re: I want an E24 :)

Post by alpina17 »

Welcome to the madness... :D
Firstly, buy the very best you can afford, cheap, cheap fixer' uppers tend to end up being prolonged projects, that frustrate your experience & often get moved on, costing you more in the long run!
(unless you have ability to complete much of the work yourself/helpful competent/friends.)
Is the car going to be a daily driver or weekend use?
As being your first six would advise staying away from 'M' cars, different kettle of fish!
Most importantly don't rush in to anything, research, research & then do some research.
This site is a vast chasm of knowledge, info. so ask plenty of q., remember, no such thing as a stupid question...(well :oops: :lol: )

Happy hunting!

Paul.
e24 ~ e60 ~ e90
rooban

Re: I want an E24 :)

Post by rooban »

I am now beginning to realize that for the very first oldtimer and little to no mechanical skills present I am probably going to abandon the idea of restoring one... too little experience yet :)

Ms are out of reach for financial reasons ATM so this narrows the search down :)