Long time listener, first time caller

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

matthewdesigns

Long time listener, first time caller

Post by matthewdesigns »

Hi folks!

I picked up an '84 633CSI last week in an attempt to satisfy a 30 year lust affair with e24's. As a teen in the 80's with walls full of Alpine car stereo posters and an already healthy stack of Car & Driver mags, a family friend bought an M6 and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it in person. I've always had my eye on this shapely beast since then. Other cars have come and gone, currently daily driving a MK5 GTI and running a Miata around the track. Both of them are reasonably well sorted, so why not dive into another project!?

The car was claimed to have been in AZ most of its life, and the lack of rust in the chassis/body plus the overwhelming amount of cracking in the exposed interior plastics seem to back that up. 165K miles, a few door dings, Style 5's with rotten tires, e30 sport seats that are in need of upholstery (and mechanical repair to boot), plenty of dry-rotted rubber under the hood, etc. Definitely a project, but a running, driving project. And the price was right so here I am.

Thanks for keeping the site around! I've already dumped money into the donation basket as the info I gleaned even over the last few days has been incredibly valuable.

Cheers,
Matthew

Coupla pics...
IMAG7630.jpg
IMAG7630.jpg (194.07 KiB) Viewed 10071 times
IMAG7521.jpg
IMAG7521.jpg (219.98 KiB) Viewed 10071 times
'84 633CSi
Arctic White/Pearl Beige
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Long time listener, first time caller

Post by baders »

Welcome Matthew. She looks like a great place to start a project, just enough to keep you busy !
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Welcome to the madness Mathew :roll:

Agreed, looks like a solid starting point, nice choice on the wheels =D>

The ///M badge has to go, however [-X

Look up Hefeweisen (sp :-? ) on the board, I believe he's also in Colorado Springs \:D/

:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Super Coop

Post by Super Coop »

Welcome, you just can't go wrong with alpinweiss :D
SprCpe

1989 635csi # 3268410

Ostatecznym maszyny jazdy BMW
matthewdesigns

Post by matthewdesigns »

Thanks for the welcome!

baders: Yes, plenty of work to be done. Among other less urgent items I just discovered the CSI fuel line is leaking...made for an interesting drive yesterday. Managed to avoid a barbeque and parked it until I can swap it out this weekend.

GRNSHRK: The wheels were definitely part of the attraction. I discovered that there are 15mm spacers on the rear when I did a bit of parking brake maintenance last weekend. Didn't expect to find them. And yep, the M badge is on the to-go menu. A few items on the front fascia need some attention and that's one on the short list. Thanks for the mention of the other local member, too.

Super Coop: I do like it! And the Pearl Beige interior isn't bad in combination, though I'll admit that I have my eyes open for a Cardinal interior I can swap over. Like stepping into a slice of red velvet cake :shock:
'84 633CSi
Arctic White/Pearl Beige
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Welcome Matthew

I can relate to admiring these cars back in the day when they were new, and totally unobtainable!

Good to see you're now able to scratch that itch, it looks like that car is lucky to have found you.

-Ellis
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I saw this car over 6 months ago and thought about buying it. It had been listed for less than $1500. Seems like it has changed hands a bunch recently, but overall may be a good base to start with.

I hope you can join us for Drive 4 Corners later this month!

www.drive4corners.com
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
matthewdesigns

Post by matthewdesigns »

MrE: Feels good to have one in hand for sure. Heck, I just look out the window in disbelief once in a while :D

tschultz: I first saw it about 6 weeks ago and the ad disappeared. Popped back up about a month later by the same seller (in Monument) and I grabbed it. He owned it for about a year, prior to him a guy in Canon City owned it for multiple years best I can tell. Either way I'm glad it is mine now! And yeah, the four corners trip. Two coworkers are going but I'm not able to make it this year (and frankly the car may not make it either!). If everything is sorted well enough by the middle of next month I may drive it over to Vail for the Colorado Grand concours as I think that would be a great way to officially christen my ownership.
'84 633CSi
Arctic White/Pearl Beige
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I seriously thought about it when it was for sale in Canon City but they guy wanted cash ASAP apparently.

Glad your seller didn't try to resell it without the style 5's.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

step 1. - take the M badge off the front grill.

step 2. - enjoy
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
anastasio

Post by anastasio »

CONGRATULATIONS....these cars are addictive, and great, the lines on them are simply elegant and sporty...I too always wanted one since my high school binder had a red one on the front cover, i loved it, and knew everything about the car....it was a fixation to me. I now have 2

congratulations, and an amazing project and there is so much info in here that you will end up like me, that I have to admit, I check the forum, at least twice a day for new posts.

best of luck

in my opinion, if you like the M badge....keep it....its not original, but I don´t think it should offend anyone, its like saying everyone change wheels to originals otherwise its a fake.

IMO
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

A wheel change doesn't say "look, I'm an M6!" even if they're M wheels, but a grill or boot lid M badge does.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Ah geez Matthew, appears that the ///M badge police are out in force :roll:

I'm sure we've all see that elusive ///M325e out there, which of course we know doesn't exist [-X

But to point, the educated 6er masses WILL know that your 6er is not an M6, but do whatever you like, it's your car after all =D>

Nuff said :-$

Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
matthewdesigns

Post by matthewdesigns »

Haha the M-Police on patrol.

I figured out how to change the headlights last weekend, so now I know what to do to pull the M badge off safely. Oddly it appears to have been on the grill for a while as the rear of the horizontal slat to which it's affixed is deformed by the metal clips, and the small area covered by the clips is darker (not faded) than the adjacent part of the slat. Do the grills from an M6 fit the e24 633CSi? I figure they probably do, and wonder if the entire thing was replaced with one from an M-car in the past.

Much more to do with the car, so I think I'm going to start a project thread.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
'84 633CSi
Arctic White/Pearl Beige
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Looks nice. U don't see many e24's in white.

Welcome.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6