Awful quiet out there these days...

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Awful quiet out there these days...

Post by GRNSHRK »

...wassup bitches :-k

There used to be a LOT more activity, have we figured everything out there is to know about 6ers :roll:

One good thing about to happen for us left hand coast 6ers, PSF 2017 is next weekend =D>

Actually starts next Thursday for a few of us that like to extend the weekend :wink:

I'll be with camera in hand as usual and will post pix week after next [-o<

Can't wait \:D/

:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Awful quiet out there these days...

Post by GRNSHRK »

One less 7 series :(

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/bus ... li=BBnbfcL

Ya think the guy would just buy another marque if he didn't like BMW that much [-X

Apparently not the first time either, WTF :roll:

Bobbo
Steve M6

Post by Steve M6 »

Count me in too. Will be there Friday for the Big Trees Tour.

Leaving the M6 at home, since my 635 has a smoother ride for us. Should be a great time!
'86 635CSi 5-sp
'88 M6 Canadian
'03 530i 5-sp - ordered new, now gone, victim of someone else's spin-out on I880
'02 530i 5-sp - now my daily driver - finally replaced my original 530i
'96 Ford F-150, 5-sp too
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Dunno Bobbo,

I haven't been here in a while, so I don't have much to go by. Oh hey? Did you get my PM? Sent it to you on Tuesday I think.
Pics of Grace on Sunday, hopefully.

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hey Phillip, just looked, no PM :-?

So, wassup :-k

Looking forward to seeing pix of ole Gracey =D>

I was gonna post about the rear strut brace, you probably saw that Dug posted a pic of the unit I installed, but was more for the purpose of providing a nice battery mount :lol:

FWIW, while the front end benefits greatly from the addition of a strut brace due to the open architecture under the bonnet and huge lump of metal in between, the rear structure is far more sound, as far as flexing and whatnot is concerned :|

I realize that there are varying opinions about this, but that's mine, and I'm sticking to it :-({|=

Since I added the front long before the rear and instantly felt the difference but didn't when adding the rear, my butt dyno doesn't lie :-"

Anyhoo, lemme know what's up :lol:

Bobbo
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Yeah, I think I'm going with a front brace only but not immediately. I AM still on the fence about rigid or pivoting strut bar/s though. How do the lateral forces act on the strut towers? Are pivoting bars AS able to increase stiffness as rigid ones?

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

In theory a rigid strut brace is better than a pivoted one. In reality

a) a pivoted one provides a useful increase in stiffness

and

b) the stiffness of a rigid bar is often limited by the section thickness and/or the way it is mounted to the bodywork.

On the former point I'd say that a pivoted brace is usually enough for the road. (It is also easier to fit and move aside etc for maintenance work.)

On the latter point if you take a nominally rigid strut brace and unbolt it at one end, it is instructive to see how easily the free end is able to move around via a combination of bending in the main portion of the strut brace and flexing in the bodywork to which it is attached.

Because there isn't that much clearance under the bonnet (hood) typically strut braces are made of oval section that is fatter than it is tall, which makes it less stiff in the direction in which a rigid brace benefits from being stiffer. Between that and the body flex, it is usually possible to raise and lower the free end of a 'rigid' brace by half an inch or so without using great force. Because this corresponds with the sort of deflection that you are trying to avoid in service, you might thus conclude that the stiffness benefit of a 'rigid brace' is not that great after all.

There are exceptions; I had a strut brace that came on a series 1 car and someone had made it out of heavy gauge tubing, reminiscent of (if not actually) scaffold pole. That brace was pretty rigid, and could have been even more rigid, had the bloke that built it put some more stiffening webs into it on the top plates that bolt to the strut tops.

If you look at the strut braces that are fitted to race cars, where it is permitted, they are usually welded into triangulated mountings that come down the inner wing, which is often itself reinforced. Such braces are stiff of course, but it is no longer a bolt-on modification.

It is as well to note that (according to leading F1 chassis designer who I was lucky enough to hear speak on the subject) the bodyshell 'needs to be stiff' only in relation to the stiffness of the suspension and the expected loads through it. So if you fit sticky tyres and springs/ARBs that are twice as stiff as normal, and drive round a racetrack, maybe you need a very stiff bodyshell; however if you are driving normally on the road, with more conventional spring and damper rates, maybe you don't.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~