Value of '88 Zinno/Silbergrau M6

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Austin

Value of '88 Zinno/Silbergrau M6

Post by Austin »

I stumbled upon a very nice Zinnoberrot 1988 M6 a few weeks ago. Just turned 80k miles. Single owner since new. Very nice body and paint. Lots of documentation over the years. 100% stock, down to the TRX wheels and Metric sized tires, with the exception of a Dinan chip and cam gear. Silbergrau interior showed virtually no wear.

The downside is there is a crease on the right rear quarter panel, at the belt line trim (the one closest to the door) which could definitely be fixed with the proper paintless dent repair man. The carpet foot padding glue has deteriorated due to a failing master cylinder (that has since been attended to). The suspension is tired and none of the mechanicals have been touched - ever. Upon going to take it for a test drive, a fuel hose decided to crack and leak fuel all over the owner's garage. Needless to say, nobody was driving that car until that was repaired. It needs a complete mechanical refresh, IMHO. All this being said, the car does present it self well, cosmetically, but needs everything else.

Taking all this stuff into consideration, what is a car like this realistically worth? I was thinking in the $20k-$25k range. I really do like the car a lot, but at more than $25k, I think it would be best for someone else to own it. The seller was looking in the $40k range...

Thanks for your consideration.

Austin
Portland, OR
'88 M5 | '88 325i | '88 325is | '88 330is | '91 325ic M-Technic |
Register your 770/771 code M-Technic cabrio here!
cofred

Re: Value of '88 Zinno/Silbergrau M6

Post by cofred »

I could maybe talk myself up to $30k, but certainly not $40k. One just sold on BaT for a little over $40k but with none of the issues you cite. The one owner car does count for something, but if that one owner hasn't maintained it well, it kinda cancels itself out. Good luck!
Heath
'85 M635
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

I'm a bit confused: on the one hand you mention that there's "documentation", but then point out that none of the mechanicals have been touched... can you clarify?

If there's no satisfactorily detailed maintenance history, then $40K is way too high of an ask. Go through the Bring a Trailer auctions of the past ~year and do comps there. I wouldn't offer over $25K if I understand your description (which I may not).

In any case, a pre-purchase inspection is mandatory, but it won't reveal hidden items like the fact that he may not have changed out the coolant or brake fluid for several years... either of which could have costly consequences. So proceed cautiously and be ready to walk away if your gut tells you. There are other fish in the sea.
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Just because of low miles and interior condition, the seller may think it is worth more. But if it has all these symptoms and a list of items it needs, I'd agree with the other posters, it's worth no where near 40 or even 30 as it sits.

If you are willing to pay that, great, but it sounds like a lot of deferred maintenance and items needing some attention.

Walk away unless he is closer to $20k or is willing to spend time getting all of those little items fixed before you buy it.

The e24 M market has been very up and down lately too. Some very nice examples of M635's going for ~25k and other US M6's close to 40K.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

sounds like it's been sitting.

I bet those tires are from the 90's or older.

Needs quite a bit of maintenance.... and they body work is $$$

I'd say less that $20k. $15-$18k

my .02
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Austin

Post by Austin »

PTFunk wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:45 pm I'm a bit confused: on the one hand you mention that there's "documentation", but then point out that none of the mechanicals have been touched... can you clarify?

If there's no satisfactorily detailed maintenance history, then $40K is way too high of an ask. Go through the Bring a Trailer auctions of the past ~year and do comps there. I wouldn't offer over $25K if I understand your description (which I may not).

In any case, a pre-purchase inspection is mandatory, but it won't reveal hidden items like the fact that he may not have changed out the coolant or brake fluid for several years... either of which could have costly consequences. So proceed cautiously and be ready to walk away if your gut tells you. There are other fish in the sea.
Documentation for services over the years, as well as some parts being replaced (the aforementioned failed master cylinder, A/C fan in the dashboard, handful of other things, regular oil intervals, etc). The more I think about it, $25k would be my 100% max. It would be a nice stable mate for my E28 M5 but I certainly don't *need* it...but would like to have it.
tschultz wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:32 pm Just because of low miles and interior condition, the seller may think it is worth more. But if it has all these symptoms and a list of items it needs, I'd agree with the other posters, it's worth no where near 40 or even 30 as it sits.

If you are willing to pay that, great, but it sounds like a lot of deferred maintenance and items needing some attention.

Walk away unless he is closer to $20k or is willing to spend time getting all of those little items fixed before you buy it.

The e24 M market has been very up and down lately too. Some very nice examples of M635's going for ~25k and other US M6's close to 40K.
You've hit the nail on the head. It didn't sound like he was all that interested in fixing all the little things it needed, so I respectfully passed. I told him to keep my name and number around if he did decided to change his stance on price.
'88 M5 | '88 325i | '88 325is | '88 330is | '91 325ic M-Technic |
Register your 770/771 code M-Technic cabrio here!