No E24 content, but this was scary

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No E24 content, but this was scary

Post by hornhospital »

I got another BMW recently, an E36 M3. It was very obvious the right rear wheel bearing needed replacement. It was VERY noisy. I had some help today to get it apart. For those who haven't had the 'pleasure' of changing an E36 rear wheel bearing, it is the most miserable maintenance job on an E36. I took this 27 second long video of just how bad that bearing was before pulling the hub. It's the worst one I've ever seen/heard. I'm replacing both sides so I'll never have to do this job to this car again in my lifetime.

https://youtu.be/BKb-yJQ3pww
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: No E24 content, but this was scary

Post by Pod »

You must have needed ear defenders when driving that car :wink:
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Indeed. And I had to drive it 140 miles home after purchase. :shock: I had no option to trailer/ship it. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I got it home.
Ken Kanne
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

More details on the E36 M3 Ken !
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

hornhospital wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 pm Indeed. And I had to drive it 140 miles home after purchase. :shock: I had no option to trailer/ship it. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I got it home.
I thought I was the only one to drive freshly bought cars home over long distances😉. Its always stressful, especially when a problem crops up - however it does make the drive rather interesting, doesn’t it!
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Is that a crack in the casting of your puller Ken ?
1981 635 series 1
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

@ Pod: No, I'm crazy, too. :wink: Not the first time I've bought something untested and driven it long distance home. Kind of like Rob Siegel. I at least knew the history of this car, having been working on it, off-and-on, for 8 years.

@ olympia57: yessiree, good eye, my friend!... the puller plate broke just minutes after that video was shot. Fine Chinese cast iron! I went to O'Reilly's and bought a forged plate to finish the job.

@ Baders: Remember, you asked. It's a sad story. The M3 belonged to a friend of mine I met through Bimmerfest.com. The whole story is here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=401381

Amber lived about 140 miles from me in 2009. She was the same age as my daughter, just three months younger (born 1985). I met her when I went to Biloxi to buy a set of wheels. We had lunch, talked about cars for two and a half hours, and I went home. It wasn't long before she came here for some work on her car, and then I went there for the same thing. She and my wife and daughter became friends, along with Amber's mom, Missy. Then they moved another 100 miles away, and it became more difficult to visit.

She was the one that got this old guy to learn how to text, and text we did, all the time. I still have over 6000 text messages on my phone from her. I wish I knew a way to save them to a hard drive. I'm scared this phone will die and along with it, all the back and forth between us. Some serious, some hilarious, some sad.

She considered me her "step-dad", since she had almost no relationship with her real dad. She'd had emotional problems, severe depression, a few times, and would reach out to me for comfort and advice. I'd been able to talk her through it.

Last year she became engaged to a great guy, Sean. She sent me a picture of the ring on her hand, with the message "he asked, I said yes!", then asked me if I would walk her down the aisle November 3rd. I of course said yes. She seemed so happy! I don't know what changed, but in August she killed herself. It was like losing my actual biological daughter. Depression is a terrible thing.

I spoke at her funeral (that was just about the hardest thing I've ever done). Not long after that her mom and Sean said they wanted me to have her car. It was her baby, her pride and joy. I told them I wouldn't take it as a gift, but I'd buy it. We agreed on a price and I went and got it a few weeks ago. The story about the "tats" (tattoos) is in the link above. The paint has suffered terribly. The clear coat over the artwork is peeling off in huge sheets, and what little black paint that hadn't faded away was taken off with the clear. I'm bringing it back to the way Amber had it. Mechanical stuff first (with a couple of exceptions) and then cosmetics. The story of it in my ownership starts on page 9 of that thread, post #211. You can read the rest. This is what it looked like in it's prime.... and that's Amber the day I met her.
Attachments
Amber at Shadys.jpg
Amber at Shadys.jpg (192.55 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
Ashlyn right front.jpg
Ashlyn right front.jpg (79.61 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
Ashlyn front.jpg
Ashlyn front.jpg (110.68 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
Last edited by hornhospital on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Kanne
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Goodness. Amazing story Ken, I wasn't expecting that. Heartbreaking for all concerned. Good on you for being a most worthy custodian.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Gud Gawd Ken, between this story and the one about what you are going through and worse yet, what your brother is facing, I feel truly blessed :cry:

I don't even know what to say other than hang in there, you've got a virtual "army" of 6er owners behind you [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

That is very sad Ken. The E36 M3 is a special car in more than one way then. I'm sure you will treasure it.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
LandShark

Post by LandShark »

I think it would be a great memorial to restore at least a small section of the art work on the hood.

Just curious, how long was the car sitting? Maybe that caused the bearing failure?
Karmann, German for extra rusty.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

It was unused from mid-August 2017 until January 26th of this year. Sean says the bearing had been bad for quite a while. Amber had been driving her mom's Passat to work.

I'm gradually getting stuff done. I got the old inner races off the hubs last night, cleaned the hubs up and painted them. Headed up to the shop to install the new bearings now that all the pieces are here. I don't have much stamina these days. They told me the chemo would make me tired. If that's as bad as it gets, it's a blessing. I work when I feel like it, and rest when I need to.
Ken Kanne
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Ken is your phone an Android? (Like Samsung). You can get apps like SMS Backup + from the Google Playstore and back up all your texts to email.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

baders wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 am Ken is your phone an Android? (Like Samsung). You can get apps like SMS Backup + from the Google Playstore and back up all your texts to email.
THANK YOU! Got the app and backed up all her text messages to my Gmail account!

Progress: got the bearings finished and the rear suspension reassembled. SOOO nice to hear no noise from the rear now. Took it on a 120 mile round trip with no problems. Now that the major mechanical problem is fixed, on to the 100 other things that need attention.

I got a couple of them done this afternoon (even after having had chemo today). Replaced the carpet trim door sill strip on the driver's side, and replaced the door stop on the driver's door. Now I don't snag my foot on the broken strip, and don't get whacked in the shin when the door won't stand open.

I also was stripping off more of the loose clear coat on the hood, and pulled the roundel to get the loose clear out from the depression. Found this....she had her initials under there. She also has signed the hood, but it's all but faded away now.
Attachments
Amber's signature.jpg
Amber's signature.jpg (149.48 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
Initials.jpg
Initials.jpg (261.81 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
Ken Kanne