What do we do about Photobucket??

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What do we do about Photobucket??

Post by Masked Man »

Sharkheads?

Earlier this week I was searching for a tech article (I had seen some years ago) on changing you oil pan gasket. It was written by kief and posted on May 3, 2015. Well, I found it again and it really IS comprehensive buuuuuuut, the images are all photobucket and no longer available and while the text IS informative, it's all in support of the photos. So, how do we go about updating articles afflicted by the dreaded, (www.photobucket.com/P500) ???

Yours in service

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What do we do about Photobucket??

Post by hornhospital »

There is an add-on to Chrome that defeats the lock-out. Search "photobucket" and the link will come up.

This points out why it's probably best to upload pictures accompanying articles directly to Bigcoupe.com. If they're lost due to server problems, there's a good chance they can be recovered, but way too many pictures have disappeared from threads due to photo sharing sites shutting down or like Photobucket turning greedy.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

I've been using it for years and still do, not quite sure where people are going wrong? only thing that annoys me is the adverts but it's still usable.
1988 635csi Auto Highline, Royal blue with Lotus white.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26461&p=189478#p189478
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I have always downloaded photos to this site so that they wouldn't get into the hands of a third party photo hosting site that could change its business model at any time. However a good number of my photos have gone missing when this site has changed server, too.

So there is no perfect solution, it seems...

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Hmmm,

IF you have access to the original URL's you can simply add ~original to that URL and apparently, presto change-o you get them back! Buuuut if you aren't the original poster you're stuck looking at the photobucket ad saying, mo money mo money MO MONEY! And to anyone who is puzzled about this? Go to the tech page and find kief's post. (Hint) it's the 8th one from the bottom of the page.

Keep the shiny side UP

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

OK, let me know if you can view the images in this thread, it's my old VW and everything was uploaded to PB on there a few years ago.

http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/forum ... f=4&t=6896
1988 635csi Auto Highline, Royal blue with Lotus white.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26461&p=189478#p189478
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Yes mark can see ever pic

Would be great to get my photobucket working like that. Text updates are good but a pic tells 1000words
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Mark Shutt wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:32 pm OK, let me know if you can view the images in this thread, it's my old VW and everything was uploaded to PB on there a few years ago.

http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/forum ... f=4&t=6896
I can see them. I have been using the Chrome Photobucket embedded image fix which can be installed from Chrome Settings>More Tools>Extensions.

This has been posted about numerous times on this forum.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement