84 633 CSi

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Zieg

84 633 CSi

Post by Zieg »

I have been a member of this board for many years. I have always received good information and suggestions from other members. I am sure others have faced this same question. I have owned my 84 Burgundrot 633 for almost 13 yrs. Over than time I have given her all kinds of attention. Some of you may have seen her at a Southeast Sharkfest or Vintage over the years as between the two events Gretel has been to 8. She is easy to recognize as when I had the interior re-done I had sport seats built to replace the uncomfortable seats and then covered them in pearl outsides with light Burgundy inserts both front and rear.

She has a custom front Euro plate that says the following "No AVG 633" I speared no expense when bring her up to a stand that I could be proud to own. NOW MY PROBLEM!

Over the last 5 years I have built and upgraded a number of other cars. I customized a 98 Z3, spent a great deal of money making a 2002 540i 6 speed right, and most recently worked on keeping an 87 E 32 Euro 730i 5 speed unicorn up to perfect condition. All of this causing me to neglect to a certain point the 6'er.Until recently the neglect is has been mostly cosmetic. She had to give up her garage spot when we down sized from a 3 car to a 2 car garage. The Florida sun has caused much of the damage. The roof needs paint badly, recently I noticed the seats front and rear are virtually shredding, she needs a new head liner and the plastic dash cover has warped where it meets the windshield. The A/C system needs to be done again, compressor, dryer etc. Finally recently it was determined that the automatic transmission is leaking and needs new seals. There are some minor electrical issues with seats and windows including needing a replacement rear window motor.

As I have aged and had my hip replaced and gained weigh I find I can do less and less work myself. . . .basically I have become a duster. I would have to pay others to preform the work listed above. I do drive her locally for short trips I just making sure the tranny fluid is full and just to keep her running well.

On the plus side the rest of the body's paint is in good shape and does not need to be redone. The car runs great. There is almost no rust that I can find. (i'm sure there is some somewhere but it is not easily visible). The car has always been a Florida car. She starts on the first pull and drives straight with no shimmies. The front end has been rebuilt including replacement shocks all around as has the breaking system, cross drilled rotors on all corners sitting on restored, by Paul Ehrlich from NC, 16" BBS RS wheels which are just needing a machine polish all break lines and calipers have been rebuilt Over the years I have replaced too many parts to list. I have installed front and rear spoilers. The car has only had one minor parking lot incident in my 13 yrs of ownership.

If you have read this long winded rant this far you probably have figured out my question "Does she stay or does she go". Is it worth redoing her for a second time. If money was no issue my decision would be easy . . . I would keep her. But with other cars to maintain my entire budget plus for the year would have to go just for Gretel and then what happens to the other cars? I will NOT part her out she is too nice of a car for that and runs way to well. Mileage is 157K on a working odo.

If possible I would love some feedback on what you think the repairs would cost at a shop and what you think she might be worth if I decide to sell her. After all the years I have owned her it is a tough decision for me to make. Her name came from sharing my garage with her brother my 1988 535is Hansel!