Greetings - Newbie Here

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

dsen

Greetings - Newbie Here

Post by dsen »

Hi Folks, thought I'd reach out and say, "Hello!" as a newbie. I just acquired an '88 M6 w/63k miles. It's been sitting for a few years but it seems to run ok though it has old gas that I need to remove. Should I siphon or can I drain from bottom?
The body's in great condition but the interior will need some attention. For now it's in storage but my immediate concern is it needs new clutch master and slave cylinders. Any recommended after market brands?
I'd like to put it up on jack stands while it's in storage and have seen a couple threads on this but still not sure. Best to use floor jack from the center(blue) points on Dan in DC's pics and put the jack stands on factory jack points or orange points he lists for floor & jack stands?
I see a looong road ahead but looking forward to getting this right. I'll get around to posting more pics of the interior and engine bay. I would be interested in opinions on the value since I still have to pay for it.
Thanks in advance,
David
Attachments
20160408_162047.jpg
20160408_162047.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 3710 times
1988 BMW M6 Royal Blue
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Greetings - Newbie Here

Post by GRNSHRK »

Beauty, welcome to the madness, David \:D/

Great color, low miles, things to be sorted for sure, but really nice find, my favorite color =D>

Try using the search feature to see about long term jack stand position recommendations, good idea though, given what they put on the roads once the white stuff starts coming down :-?

Once again, welcome 8)
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Looks good! Welcome to the forum :D
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

Welcome to this great forum. You will find very knowledgeable and helpful members here. I store my 635CSi for about 5-6 months every year and do not put the car on jack stands but instead pump the tires up to about 50 p.s.i. to avoid flat spotting. Leaving the car on jack stands is not good for the suspension components in my opinion. Lovely car!
Dave

Post by brickwhite »

Bring a trailer is a good place for value.

https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e24/

You still have to pay for it????
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
dsen

Post by dsen »

Thanks for the welcome!
Clipper47 - I wasn't keen on putting it up on stands so I like the idea of upping the PSI for storage so I may opt for that instead, TY.
brickwhite - I got it through an estate purchase and the starting point is the book value and I'm wondering where this one would be in relation to that.
Cheers,
David
1988 BMW M6 Royal Blue