Salvage Hunters Classic Cars

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Salvage Hunters Classic Cars

Post by olympia57 »

I see that Drew Pritchard of salvage hunters fame on Quest ,Sky channel 144 ,buys an e24 on this weeks programme . ( Wednesday 9pm )

I watched the previous season and the two episodes so far of this season and it's fair to say that there is a lot of artistic license in it all, and the two presenters are very " Marmite " but someone in the UK may know the car .
Usually the programme is shown on Quest on demand afterwards so overseas members should be able to watch it .
https://www.questod.co.uk/show/salvage- ... assic-cars
1981 635 series 1
Soperman

Re: Salvage Hunters Classic Cars

Post by Soperman »

Nice one - my Sky box is now programmed to record.
Many thanks for the heads up.
E24 M635CSi
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Having watched the trailer, I input the reg. no. into the DVLA site, but could find no record of an MOT. Either I mis-read the number or the car has been off the road since at least 2005?

I''ll be watching this evening - no doubt we can have a discussion about it tomorrow :wink:
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I believe that it was off the road for 15 years .
1981 635 series 1
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

I really enjoyed that! The tracking shots on the road made me desperate to go for a drive. Such a pretty car in that colour, too.
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

The car did look good .
A bit confusing though as I became aware of the car being featured on the show after coming across it for sale on Car and Classic about a month ago.
In the ad it stated that the car had been restored in the show and asked if the buyer would return with the car for a follow up programme to be filmed later in 2019 . The sale seemed to be being handled by the production company or perhaps Paul Cowland's garage but it didn't seem like it was being sold by the private buyer on the programme .
The ad is gone so I cannot link to it and the sale on the programme didn't look as if it was filmed in winter .
I wonder if he used the W&N wheel arch repair panels for the arch that was "thick with filler " he certainly should have used their petrol tank at £260 rather than the £700 mentioned in the programme .
An enjoyable programme though.
1981 635 series 1
randall977

Post by randall977 »

Yes I saw the car on eBay (I think) a few months ago - something about filming - was a bit expensive I thought. Good program though, nice filming and very positive about the car - can only be good for us owners! Wish I had a bright red 1983 635... :P
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

randall977 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:10 pm Yes I saw the car on eBay (I think) a few months ago - something about filming - was a bit expensive I thought. Good program though, nice filming and very positive about the car - can only be good for us owners! Wish I had a bright red 1983 635... :P
That was a Henna car like yours, wasn't it? Absolutely one of my favourite colours.
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

olympia57 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:29 pm I believe that it was off the road for 15 years .
Some questions answered now I've watched the TV show a couple of times. The non-year reg. no. was sold, so that's why I couldn't find it. It was last MOT'd in september 2009, but did absolutely NO miles until its next test in August 2018, so was apparently off the road for nine years. For some reason it was tested again in December, so watch out for it being advertised for sale again soon?

Interesting to note that it has a relatively high mileage (95k), so I'm pretty amazed it "sold" for £19K - but did it? There's plenty of on-line comment about the WD cars which apparently are "sold" to members of the production crew just for the TV presentation.

I liked the tip about the 2-pack Urethane adhesive to fill the cracks on the rear spoiler - it looked like it worked a treat!

I, too, wondered why they spent so much on a fuel tank and exhaust!

Bear in mind the TRX tyres were the smaller ones @ 220/55 VR390, currently priced by Longstone at £342 each. The more common 240/45 VR415 cost £426 each and this is just for the "GT" version which AFAIK are the only ones available now.

And how about the test drive? A car which they have already discussed as being off the road for years is taken onto local roads, including a dual carriageway, at speed, with no sign of Trade Plates! Surely a mistake, officer :wink:
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I often pop into a FB site for the MGB/C Gt and the MGC lads on it are furious at being described as Aston Martin wannabees .......
1981 635 series 1
NigelC

Post by NigelC »

It was good to see another 635 back on the road with stunning travelling shots, a beautiful car.
I think Pod made some very interesting observations about the car
I also was very surprised to see the car being driven on the road without trade plates ,at speed
with poor brakes etc. after being stored for 9 years. I also think that giving the engine the beans
is not the best way of waking up the motor from its 9 year slumber ?!
Apart from showing it fully stripped for the respray I would liked to have seen something of the
welding repairs- I feel sure it must have more than just one rusted rear arch ( echoes of Ron)
Also some work must have been done to the brakes -all free? and all the other jobs after 9 years?
I guess that I would like to have seen so much more detail rather like WD do ,and a truer view
of the costings as it all seems to have been 'glossed over' with the paint! Nigel.
NigelC

Post by NigelC »

I was just watching the latest Salvage Hunters Classic Cars (shown 16/02/19) for a bit of
light entertainment when, in one shot of Drew returning to Paul's workshop, as he drove
into the yard in his Discovery with the camera panning with the car there was a brief flash
of Henna red ?! I replayed the recording and sure enough there were a few frames showing
the 635 AND the Capri parked in Paul's yard! Both these cars were supposedly sold at the
end of episodes 1 & 2 so why are they still there in episode 4 ?
I think Pod may be right about cars being 'sold' to the production team which might explain
the rather high prices achieved on the tv show.
The video editor should have been more careful in cutting the shot tighter as he should have
known that we 635 fans will never miss a glimpse of our favourite cars! Lol. Nigel.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Just a guess, but like many "reality" shows, they are shot out of sequence to the broadcast schedule. Show 4 may well have been the first one completed. :-k
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"