Newbie saying hi

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

wogden700

Newbie saying hi

Post by wogden700 »

Hi all. I just became the proud new owner of an 85 635csi. It's my second BMW, about 15 years ago I had in E32 750il. But even then I longed for an e24.
Bought the car through bring a trailer and I'm picking it up in Nashville in a couple weeks and driving it back to Massachusetts after spending a week in Charleston SC.
The car is original but not perfect and I intend to daily drive it most of the time.
It has the original TRX bottle cap rims and they just ate up $1,500 for new tires from Coker but I dig that classic look of them.
The car's got a few issues I want to sort out right away like an ABS fault and few other in operatives like cigarette lighter and power antenna and I'd like to get a factory look alike modern stereo but I don't really know where to look for that.
Here's a link to the bring a trailer listing.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-bmw-635csi-20/

Sandy
1985 635CSi Diamondblack/Llama
1991 750iL (sold)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Newbie saying hi

Post by GRNSHRK »

Welcome to the madness, looks pretty good =D>

And is that Llama interior color that I detected :-k

You've landed in the right place, the most extensive E24 exclusive website in the world :-"
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Looks nice.. .

You bought TRXs or they did? The ones in the photos are old and I wouldn't drive too far on them.

The receipt says 2010 that's pretty old in Tire life.

Look at the tire pictures.

The Odometer gears can be fixed pretty easily.

https://store.garagistic.com/bmw-perfor ... eter-gears

as for radios, just search through the forums. mye28.com too comes in handy.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
wogden700

Post by wogden700 »

Thanks all.
I bought new TRX tires from coker. They are being installed this week. I saw those nasty cracks.
I am told the interior is llama which looks really cool.
1991 750iL (sold)
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Welcome to the madness, Wogden700!

Wait WHAT? YYyyou spent $1500 on TRX's? Oh my gawd! Yer crazier than WE are!! D00d, if you wanna burn $$$ put it in an envelope and send it to ME!! Okay sorry, It looks like a GREAT car and it's in the VERY BEST color BMW ever offered.
Re: ABS fault, the fronts for E24's are NLA so you have to buy the E23 units and just loop the extra. The antennas are available and DON'T get the URO made unit.

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
85mvdelphinus

Post by 85mvdelphinus »

Congrats on the purchase. I was watching the auction on BAT and noticed that my VIN # (0606642) is just 4 cars after yours on the assembly line. :D

I'm sure you'll find this site very helpful. Good luck with the car.
1985 635CSi 5MT Delphin Grey/Pearl Beige

Does a guilt free shark have a feeling of remoras?
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Phillip came on kinda strong about the TRX's. A newbie mistake no worries.

For the money you spent on that older tech, going to inch rims gives more selection

in every modern tire and wheels.

On the ABS front. Don't just buy # 2 pulse generators until you diagnose the problem.

He's also right, 735's are longer but you can take up slack. 535's are too short

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=31_0380

Could be # 1, rust on the teeth of the hubs that trigger the generator will give you problems.

https://blog.bavauto.com/6139/bmw-abs-w ... 4-e28-e30/

https://blog.bavauto.com/5641/1986-bmw- ... 4-e28-e30/

See page 99
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Have you been able to find the problem?
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
wogden700

Post by wogden700 »

I like the look of TRX wheels, new rims and tires would have been more than what i paid for the michelins and after putting 2000 miles on the car the tires handle and ride very well.
I've seen a few custom jobs where the TRX centers were used to make a 18" rim. That might be a direction i'd go, but for now the stock TRXs stay. It's funny the feedback I get regarding them. People are very polarized on them, and at the local CCA event last month everybody I met including a guy with shark said "KEEP EM!, dont listen to the haters!" But they seem to be unfavorable here on the forum... :-? :-?

I got the odometer gears fixed, but now have an issue with the Cruise Control and the On Board Computer that I think is related to the cluster being repaired. Ill start a seperate thread on that issue.

Ive had to address a tie rod end in the front, and a pitman arm (dogbone) in the back. Also the heater control valve was inop, and I had that fixed.

The ABS light went out when I had the cluster repaired. I also had new batteries put in the cluster while it was out for the gears.

Next up is some light upgrades in front. Everything is OE I believe (sealed beams and elephant ears) and i'd like to upgrade especially since I have a foglight out of service. Ill start a seperate thread with some questions I got on that too.

1991 750iL (sold)
dmac156

Post by dmac156 »

Congrats, and welcome. Great color combo.