Contemplating returning to the fold

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

cornershop

Contemplating returning to the fold

Post by cornershop »

Gents

I sold my UK 635csi back in 2014 when my daughter was born, but now considering returning.

I have a much worked on 1987 911 Carrera which would need to make way, but the additional seating may sway me towards the E24.

If I get the price I’m looking at for the 911, I’d consider an M635.

My primary concern with all Classics is parts availability, predominantly interior and exterior trim.

How is the e24 fairing in this sense? Are there aftermarket companies stepping up, or are BMW themselves remaking parts, in the way Porsche Classic are ?

I keep looking at the example at Classic Heroes, but need my head to rule the heart...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Shirish
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Contemplating returning to the fold

Post by Pod »

There seems to be availability of spares, but at a price. It appears to me that asking prices have risen considerably for 2nd hand spares. BMW still make some, but much has become NLA, according to realoem. Wolloth & Nesch are still selling stuff, but they are pretty expensive IMO and usually eBay will produce better finds. Unfortunately, asking prices for all E24s have gone stratospheric and I can see it going the way of the E9s. A great many “dealers” have cottoned on to the fact and appear to be pushing the market, If you are looking to get back into E24 ownership, I think the longer you leave it, the more you will be paying!

Just my 2c 😉
Soperman

Post by Soperman »

If you're genuinely considering the example currently up for sale with Classic Heroes, then you're obviously looking at something complete and in extremely good order, as opposed to an example of the M635CSi that needs bits replacing.

Is, therefore, the availability of exterior & interior trim parts really such an area of concern? The right car won't need any of that hard-to-find stuff, and the mechanical bits are more readily available.....

http://www.classiccarcompany.eu/showroom/bmw-m635-csi/
https://www.hexagonclassics.com/car/bmw ... -e24--1985
https://www.normanspond.com/vehicle-detail/MjYw
E24 M635CSi
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

quite fancy the white one
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
cornershop

Post by cornershop »

Thanks both for your thoughts.

With so few cars on the market, it’s difficult to get a sense of market value. Are the CH and Hexagon cars priced right? The CH car I see was advertised as far back as 2017, hence me thinking’s its overpriced.

The NormansPond car looks interesting at a much lower (current) price point. With a very clean MoT history too.

The Silver car with buffalo leather looks great too; I may go and view this to see what’s what.
Soperman

Post by Soperman »

The CH and Hexagon cars have been on the market for an eternity and have yet to sell.
If they were marked up at £19,995 then they would have sold by now so, yes, they are too expensive.

Now that doesn't mean that the sticker price is necessarily what they're prepared to sell for though. A car trader will always listen to offers on unsold stock, even cheeky ones.

I seem to recall that the Hexagon car was bought at auction for £30k, although I might be wrong.
E24 M635CSi