What famous rock star(s) have you bumped into?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What famous rock star(s) have you bumped into?

Post by Pod »

I'll start the ball rolling. Yesterday I was walking along Notting Hill Gate and turned left (blind corner) into the alley next to Oxfam's. I very nearly crashed into David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), who adroitly swerved around me without breaking his step or interrupting his conversation with the attractive woman he was with and disappeared towards Holland Park before I had the chance to apologise (or even ask for an autograph :lol: ).
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What famous rock star(s) have you bumped into?

Post by olympia57 »

Late 90's we were on holiday in Rhodes and sitting having dinner my attention was drawn to a guy sitting in company close by . I just could not place him thinking he was someone from business back home. Exiting from the toilet I passed him on the way in and suddenly realised it was Eric Clapton. A minute earlier and, over a pee , I could have told him that he didn't shoot the Sherriff first....

We have an biennial Irish music festival in our small town and about six years ago I was standing at the bar in one of the pubs and in came Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull ) in company and promptly stood next to me . Now one of my favourite songs is "life's a long song " written by him and I foolishly had to tell him this bit of utterly useless info. He smiled and graciously thanked me for the compliment and ......left me feeling like a gormless idiot.
If you are ever in awe best keep your mouth shut.

And lastly. I used to have any computer problems rectified by an American guy who lived in the town , his name was Evan Payne.
He was good but very slow to do the work.
I dropped off a tower unit for repair that I keep all my music on and about three weeks later he called to tell me it was done.
When collecting it he told me that he noticed I had a sizeable collection of Little Feat albums on there to which I said that "yep, but I didn't think he would know of that band ". He casually answered that his dad plays in that band , Bill Payne keyboards,and that he had been visiting when I dropped it off three weeks before . :(
1981 635 series 1
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Aren't we the , only , lucky ones Paul.......?
Don.
1981 635 series 1
cjarvis

Post by cjarvis »

Late 80's, the Acropolis, Athens, running up a narrow staircase to the museum, head down focusing on the steps. Near the top, lift my head and almost run over Heather Locklear and Tommy Lee. Ooops, excuse me...
Craig in MI
85 745i
85 M635CSi (gone but not forgotten)
71 F-250 (gone but not forgotten)
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

Years ago did some work on a little old sailboat for Brian Howe (38 Special). The wall of gold albums in the house was impressive, never listened much to the band.

Some years after that fixed a boat for Cliff Williams (AC/DC). Never met him, just spoke on the phone. Didn't much listen to them either.

Howe is no longer local, Williams still keeps a much larger boat around here.

Ross
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I played in a band while living in LA, and my guitarist was manager of the Fender custom shop at the time. That led to playing some cool gigs. At one, our band was hanging out in an RV with Nicko McBrain (drummer of Iron Maiden). Our drummer was giddy as a school boy. We really briefly talked with Brad Gillis (Night Ranger guitarist) that night too.

At another event we opened for Paul Rogers, although with him any convo. was really just in passing. He kept to himself, and hung out in his trailer till show time.

The late George Michael kept a house in L.A., and I did some computer consulting for him. He loved his "flower power" iMac. :D I went to his house a few times, and discovered that he did some incredibly caring, and giving things for people around him that nobody ever hears about. He was not just a gifted musician, but a truly wonderful human being.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car