Anyone from PA?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Kurtamine_

Anyone from PA?

Post by Kurtamine_ »

Good Evening All!

I was not sure who to ask this question to in my immediate family and friends so I figured I would ask you all :lol:

So I currently live in Orlando, Florida and have been a Florida native my whole life. I potentially have an opportunity to have a better job located in Bethlehem, PA.

Is anyone familiar with that area or the surrounding areas?

It seems like an area where having a vehicle is a must, and I am not to keen on the idea of having my already rusty car in the rust belt?

Anyone want to give me some good insight and advice on what it is like there?

Thanks in advance! 8)
'81 E24
'99 miata
'84 E30
'99 eclipse
Hutch

Re: Anyone from PA?

Post by Hutch »

I live in Lancaster, which is ~2 hours away from Bethlehem, so not down the road but closer than Florida :mrgreen:

Pennsylvania is a nice place to live, usually reasonable cost of living and depending where you are good employment opportunities. I won't lie to you and say the weather is always nicer than in FL, especially when it is like 20F out right now, but I actually really enjoy the 4 distinct seasons of weather we have as you can do outdoor activities for much of the year.

I've only spent a weekend in Bethlehem and it was a great place to visit, unfortunately I cannot really give you any in depth advice on what its like to live there full time.

I would definitely recommend keeping a car you care about out of the winter as we absolutely do salt the roads and it will chew up a car. Up there they can get some good dumps of snow so you'd probably want a FWD or AWD irregardless of salt content.
Kurtamine_

Re: Anyone from PA?

Post by Kurtamine_ »

Hutch wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:49 am I live in Lancaster, which is ~2 hours away from Bethlehem, so not down the road but closer than Florida :mrgreen:

Pennsylvania is a nice place to live, usually reasonable cost of living and depending where you are good employment opportunities. I won't lie to you and say the weather is always nicer than in FL, especially when it is like 20F out right now, but I actually really enjoy the 4 distinct seasons of weather we have as you can do outdoor activities for much of the year.

I've only spent a weekend in Bethlehem and it was a great place to visit, unfortunately I cannot really give you any in depth advice on what its like to live there full time.

I would definitely recommend keeping a car you care about out of the winter as we absolutely do salt the roads and it will chew up a car. Up there they can get some good dumps of snow so you'd probably want a FWD or AWD irregardless of salt content.

Thanks for the info Hutch! I had a feeling that a FWD or AWD beater would be considered necessary for the snow. I love my shark too much to give it up so soon.
'81 E24
'99 miata
'84 E30
'99 eclipse