lots of questions!

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Glen

lots of questions!

Post by Glen »

Hello everyone,
I have been away a while due to a messy break up, and changing living arrangements, but now I am back, and ready to button up all the little things my car needs...with your help.

I have a 1985 635csi manual, and I need assistance picking out the correct parts.

I need a clutch, and don't want crazy race parts
I would like a slightly lightened flywheel
in fact, pretty much all the doo-dads associated with the clutch assembly.
I would like to locate all of the power steering hoses, and replace them.
and lastly, I would like decent replacement rubber parts for my aging front suspension.

There are so many vendors, so many price points, and as I discovered recently, massive differences in quality of products.

This is my very first 'Big Coupe' and I love it...I am hoping that the collective experience of all the enthusiasts in here can save me from buying more parts that really suck.

on that last note...anyone in Maine is welcome to an exhaust part I bought, never used, and have already upgraded.
I have a Magnaflow midpipe section with catalytic converter...free to someone that wants to pick it up...I am not shipping that fool thing! :)
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: lots of questions!

Post by jps635 »

Use RealOEM https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgr ... BMW-635CSi or BMW Fans http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/ to identify what parts for your model. Plug in your VIN
I need a clutch, and don't want crazy race parts
I replaced mine with a SACH clutch kit - good quality. From memory everything needed but check. You might need to do other things at the same time like drive shaft couplings. Use the search. There are a couple guys doing manual swaps / clutch work on here at the moment.
I would like a slightly lightened flywheel
Not sure what engine / trans mix you have but check what you're likely to have to begin with. I found after sourcing a spare I already had the lighter 13-14 lb flywheel - but more common I think they are around 19lb?? You can always get them skimmed a bit more, but take advice beforehand.
I would like to locate all of the power steering hoses, and replace them
I went through a bit of a learning exercise here so hope you have better luck than I did with this one. I ended up with 3 new wrong hoses decorating my garage wall. Start by finding the correct parts diagram on RealOEM specific to your VIN. The high pressure factory ferruled parts will have a part # on them, so try and locate these, but not all are available now. Others have found it easier to get them locally made up.
and lastly, I would like decent replacement rubber parts for my aging front suspension
Presumably you mean the bushes / ball joints. Lots of opinions / discussions here about what's best. I went with Lemforder control arms and replaced the bushes with Meyle HD inserts. You'll also want to replace the tie rod, steering arms and idler arm and if not already done so fit the steering box reinforcement mount (search on here - a lot have done so). Also the sway bar links and bushes.
Buy from a reputable source such as Pelican parts, Arizona Autohaus - plus others, rather than the cheap stuff on ebay
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Glen

Post by Glen »

JPS635..
Wow, thank you.

I wasn't expecting one person to address everything so efficiently. :D
Sach clutch question...organic or metal?
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Hi Glenn,

I'm curious, you say no race parts but your thinking of
a 13 lb flywheel. What would you gain from a lighter
flywheel?
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i