New member - Could you help me with my cars history?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

dprs

New member - Could you help me with my cars history?

Post by dprs »

Hi!

First of all I am from Sweden so if there are some Swenglish here and there, please forgive :D

Anyway, not long ago I became a proud owner of a rust free 1985 Alpine White 635CSi. Its a California car imported to Sweden some 10+ years ago and then stored in a dry garage until I bought it. It has the typical cracked dashboard and sunburned seats, which is currently undergoing some minor restoration. Bought new seat covers from Lseat which fits surprisingly well, lets see how they hold up though...

Now, when I bought the car there were no maintainance records or receipts at all, nothing. So I did a carfax on it and found out it lived most of its early life in Yorba Linda CA, atleast thats where the inspections were made. Then it moved on to Turtin CA and Santa Ana before beeing exported. Yes it has some miles on it but is still going strong!

I enclose the carfax report.

The vin number is: WBAEC840XF0612203

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Daniel
Attachments
view report _ Carfax1-page-001.jpg
view report _ Carfax1-page-001.jpg (264.15 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
view report _ Carfax1-page-002.jpg
view report _ Carfax1-page-002.jpg (135.63 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
635csi1.jpg
635csi1.jpg (124.57 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
635sharknose

Re: New member - Could you help me with my cars history?

Post by 635sharknose »

Welcome here, looks nice your E24.
I am not from Sweden but a lot closer to you than most guys on this forum. :-)
It looks like just before the car was exported, the speedometer seems to have been turned back 100,000 miles. From 216K to 116K. :evil: Or is that a mistake in the Carfax report?

Have you looked under the back seats? There is normally a “Lauzettel”, which is a document that they put under the rear seats during production. It contains various details such as production date, color, interior color, etc.

At your local BMW dealer, they can see in their computer at which dealer this car was originally delivered. You could then contact that dealer in America.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

What do you want to know? Maintenance?

Unless someone here owned the car there will be no way to tell what maintenance was done. And after sitting for 10 years you are better off doing base line maintenance yourself.

Should cost about $2500-$3500 USD if you do it yourself...

-All fluids
-Brakes rotors / pads / hoses
-Bushings
-Steering componetns (arms / tierods)
-Tires
-Exhaust
-Shocks/Struts
-Soft fuel lines
-Fuel filter
-Belts (all)
-Cooling system replace all....(hoses,radiator,thermostat,Fan,fan clutch,Water pump)
-spark plugs, ignition rotor, ignition wires

Here is a good link to E28 basline.. which is similar to an e24.
https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=81144
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
dprs

Post by dprs »

Hi!

Thank you for the answers and for the welcome, much appreciated!

Yes, its primarely the maintenance records I am after.

I bought an e46 from the states a couple of years ago and in that case I was able to get some records through an us dealer. Therefore I wonder if its possible to do the same with this one? Or maybe its to old? I have tried to contact the swedish dealership and asked them if they could help but it seems that the us and the eu dealers dont share maintenance records? So if anyone have any connections or know someone that works at a us dealership and have the time to run my vin number I would be more than happy!

Yes, there were some "adjustment" done to the odometer for some reason. Just stupid to do such a thing... ](*,)

Thanks!
85MSteinway

Post by 85MSteinway »

dprs wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:37 pm

Yes, there were some "adjustment" done to the odometer for some reason. Just stupid to do such a thing... ](*,)

Thanks!
Gear probably broke and instead of repairing it they swapped it for a used one that happened to have lower mileage. Or someone tried to pull a sneaky trick even though mileage is recorded on annual inspection. I suspect it probably just broke and got replaced with one from a junkyard.

Jay
L6
85 M635
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

I don't think it will be that, they put is back exactly 100K, they drove only a few miles in the few days between the recordings.
Well if the motor was maintained well, they can run a lot more as I have heard, so that's a good thing!

Are there no maintenance sticker on the windscreen or in the doors? Mine had some and I managed to source some info through that.

I contacted the dealer in San Diego and they gave me information from which dealer it actually came, which was BMW Encinitas, sadly they didn't response to my mail asking for additional information.
If I were you, I would contact and try to retrieve some information at the closest dealer to Yorba Linda and as I see it, this is BMW Buena Park.
Good luck.

Some info I found in the VIN decoder:
Type 5384
Model 635 Csi
Market USA
Development Code E24
Chassis Coupe
Steering left
Doors 2
Engine M30
Displacement 3.50 l
Power 0 kW
Drivetrain Rear-Wheel Drive
Transmission automatic
Color Alpinweiss - 146
Upholstery - 0206
Production Plant Spartanburg
Production Date 1985-07-03

Options:
290 Lt/aly Wheels Star Spoke 44 Lm Raeder/sternspeiche 44
459 Seat Adjustm., Electr. W. Memory Sitzverstellung, Elektr.mit Memory
481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
551 Bordcomputer Ii Mit Fernbedienung
708 M Sportlenkrad Leder
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

oh, it's from here in Orange County.
Crevier BMW is in Santa Ana and if should be able to give you a history of any logged service Phone: (657) 213-3493

But I think any authorized dealer/shop or the factory should be able to give you that same history
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

216k miles... she's got some miles...
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
dprs

Post by dprs »

Hi!

So nice of you to take the time and contact bmw, much appreciated :D Will try to contact those bmw dealers myself and see if they respond. Found the guy who imported the car to Sweden and he told me that the sellers name was Stu and he lived close to long beach. The car was suppose to be a gift for his daughter Monika with a russian lastname but she didnt like the car, :shock: , so they sold it insted. Hope its ok if I write their names..if not I erase them.

The only thing I found this far is a silver dollar and a dime which of course is good but I keep looking and see if i find some stickers.

Yes it has some miles on it but it still runs just fine. I got a spare euro 218hp engine in the deal if the other one decides to blow up!

Thanks!!

Daniel