Help Support Bigcoupe.com

All good things must come to an end...

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: bfons, GRNSHRK, ron

bcadmin
Site Admin

All good things must come to an end...

Post by bcadmin » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:05 pm

Fellow Members,

For a multitude of reasons, many of which are personal, I have decided to suspend the forums later this year. I am currently locking new registrations and will be working on a way to keep the useful information available to all. My thoughts are to purge all personal information from the database and sill have the forum searchable but no longer interactive. This would allow for the years of useful information to remain publicly accessible while keeping the site secure for GDPR and CCPA regulations

I appreciate the fact that so many have come here to share their BMW experience. It’s been a great asset to the Classic BMW community and I want to thank the multitude of members who have made the site a success

Thank you 🙏

Brian
Brian
E31 840ci
1990 525i
-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Gone to a better home
1987 L6 - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten

Soperman
Bigcoupe 100 Post club

Re: All good things must come to an end...

Post by Soperman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:36 pm

This is desperately sad news.

Whilst it’s easy to bemoan the loss of such a great resource, I have to take stock and firstly remember what a great place this forum has been. I am fortunate that it’s been available to me, so thank you Brian.

Gotta respect your decision to do what you feel right, but deep down I’m secretly hoping you’ll change your mind.
E24 M635CSi

hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:29 pm

I wish this was April 1 and it was only an April fool's joke. Is there ANY way you could keep it alive by turning it over to someone else? [-o<

To be clear, I'M NOT VOLUNTEERING. I have neither the expertise nor the time to do it. I wish I could.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann";'87 325is "Odette"; '93 325is "Elvira"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"; '95 318is "Bebe"

Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:33 pm

What? WOW! Although I'm a relatively recent member this site has been incredibly valuable to me. I check it daily and find it interesting, informative, and fun to read our shared interest in the e24. I can appreciate the amount of effort and dedication it takes to support the site. I hope there is a way to continue this great endeavor.
1988 M6

rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:31 pm

Brian,
Thank you for the many years you have given to this group. I enjoy the forum on a daily basis, it has provide great information to many of us and has kept my interest up on this madness.
The best to you on your next venture, what ever it may be.
Roger
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL

kinetik

Post by kinetik » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:22 am

Unfortunately i've always just been lurker on this site but, the resources here and the community seem far to valuable to close this sites form up. Their must be an alternative that can be done.

dlvad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dlvad » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:26 am

HUGE Thank You to you Brian for providing the BigCoupe website for 16 Plus Years, 6000 some odd days😳
I’ve enjoyed every moment of it and spent countless hours in those 16 years purrusing every section of the boards index.

You stepped up at a time when most of us early e24 enthusiasts relied heavily on ROADFLY and its cast of characters.
Back when SharkFest were a “New Thing” and Simpler Times...
You also managed to keep BigCoupe.com primarily dedicated to the e24/e12 Chassis’ The site has always been neat, simple to navigate and concise.

Personally I’ll miss it quite a bit and admittedly it will be somewhat weird at first.
Well Done.
I’ll be in touch - See you around my friend 😎

Cheers,
DV
DV
////// Motorsports & Vintage Coupes
ALPINA Youngtimers of Course...
BMWCCCA

anchored

Post by anchored » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:51 am

Would you be interested in passing the reins to someone that would continue to host and manage things?
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi

sixseries
Bigcoupe 100 Post club

Post by sixseries » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:06 am

I second this. Would you be interested in finding someone?

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:44 am

Brian,

This site has been of immeasureable value to the E24 community. I cannot thank you enough for all of the time and effort you have put into this amazing resource.

It was already asked if you were willing to let someone take over the domain/site. While I would worry about taking on the mantle of keeping this site going by myself, I would be willing to collaborate with one or two others who might want to take on the responsibility. I have to state up front that I really like the simple, enthusiast based format and would intend to keep things just as they are without advertising, or the ridiculous ego's that can make other places feel like a zoo. We have always been about community and support here, and I would be fully intent on keeping it that way.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car

wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:38 am

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling profoundly grateful for all of the help that this site has provided. I have made lifelong friends, learned so much and enjoyed the passion for messing around with old and pointy BMWs so much more.

I have enjoyed this without having to do any of the work to keep the site running - thank you so much for all of the hours and hours you have given.

All the very best to you,

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess

baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:24 pm

You've got to be kidding me ?

Normal process would be to ask around if anyone was capable and willing to take it over. Seen it done quite a few times. This resource is more than just ones "personal reasons". Severely disappointed if this community resource is trashed for future participation. GDPR and CCPA ? Is this what the world is coming to when such an innocuous but useful resource such as BC is shut down ? No apologies, someone has to call it out.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement

88m53453

Post by 88m53453 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:07 pm

So sorry to see this. Thanks for your efforts
“Keep em running”

bcadmin
Site Admin

Post by bcadmin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:07 pm

Guys,

Thank you for the kind words first of all. I want to reassure you that this wasn't a decision that I made overnight. Ive been contemplating this for over a year now and I simply do not have the heart, passion, and time to maintain. I implemented the board 16 years ago and with the help of the mods, have kept it running this whole time. I would guess that most marriages don't last 16 years!

I do recognize the value in having somebody take things over. So with that, let me lay out some high level steps that would need to be done:
  • Somebody with the technical expertise needs to run a Linux box and install LAMP.
  • This person needs to install the latest version of phpBB3
  • I will provide this person the encrypted database for import
  • Once the new instance is up, I can make the DNS changes
If anybody is willing to take this one, please email me at [email protected]

Thank you and have a great week!

Brian

Soperman
Bigcoupe 100 Post club

Post by Soperman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:36 pm

Linux, LAMP, phpBB3, DNS?

If I had the faintest f*****g idea what you were talking about Brian, I would be screaming at you to send it my way.

I would be lost without this site, and I genuinely believe that this the safety and survival of E24s worldwide is less secure without it.

Somebody, please?!!!
E24 M635CSi

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:51 pm

Would an AWS lightsail virtual box be enough to run the site?

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car

bcadmin
Site Admin

Post by bcadmin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:06 pm

Hey Jose!

I don't see why not. Looks like they have pre-built LAMP nodes so that would make things a bit easier for sure! I doubt the base level package would work but the $20 or $40/mos option would probably do well
Brian
E31 840ci
1990 525i
-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Gone to a better home
1987 L6 - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten

emac

Post by emac » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:19 am

New member here as well. It is a wonderful resource, I hope someone steps up to keep it running, and I am sure there is a lot of work that goes unnoticed. Thanks for the 16 years worth of searchable information. It has been very useful to me. If someone does take it over they can count on me for a donation.

anchored

Post by anchored » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:23 am

Though most of my skills are in UI/UX, I have a team of Devs I can utilize if I need help. I am willing to take it on if someone more qualified does not come around.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi

BenM635i
Bigcoupe 100 Post club

Post by BenM635i » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:15 am

First, thanks Brian for all the work you have put in over the decades to make this community.

This site has been invaluable to me over the last few years. Since taking on my father's M635 when he passed away its been a steep learning curve - as we all know these cars need TLC and constant maintenance. The technical know how, historic posts and general support is amazing and i do believe a unique group (after owning Golfs / Camper vans i can say there is no other forum like this).

I don't have the technical skills to host and maintain the website but would be happy to continue donating to upkeep or putting in to a pot to buy a suitable PC to host on.

What can we do to keep this going?
'85 M635 #160

Carlp336
Bigcoupe 100 Post club

Post by Carlp336 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:19 pm

Brian i Pmed.
.1977 H&B 630CSI - http://www.sidedraftsix.com.

brickwhite
Bigcoupe 100 Post club

Post by brickwhite » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:53 pm

we maybe able to look into AWS non-profit...

https://aws.amazon.com/government-education/nonprofits/
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
- 85 M635csi

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:14 pm

That's a nice idea brickwhite, but I don't see us qualifying as a non-profit or NGO.

Carlp336 - I am not a core UNIX guy, so I am not confident building/maintaining the site on my own. I also have resources I could possibly talk to, but it would be better if a real member were the one keeping the environment patched, and the site running. If you can run the site, I configured up an AWS Lightsail Ubuntu box with LAMP in all of 20 minutes. The $40 a month cost could be soaked up by donations as Brian asks for once a year, and I would be happy to help as a site mod. If you want to team up, I'm down. If you want to take it all on yourself, I am down to help wherever I can.

Let's keep BigCoupe running another 16+ years!!!!! =D> \:D/ [-o<

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car

DesktopDave

Post by DesktopDave » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:51 pm

I'm here to salute all that's been done, and all the effort that went into this site over the years. It's a tremendous resource and speaks volumes about BigCoupe members in general and admin staff in particular.

Brian, I don't know you personally, but I'd like to commend you (& your team?) for all that you've done. Thanks for the graceful way in which you've announced these changes. The web has changed the way we communicate, for better or for worse. You (& your team) represent the best of it, IMHO.
'86 635CSi, currently running a B32 with Motronic 1.3

sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:32 pm

I'm truly heartbroken to hear this; I do hope someone will be able to take over the reins from you. This forum is still invaluable to new and old members alike - I, I suspect like thousands of others, would not have been able to keep my E24's running over these many years without this one singular very focused forum.

Thank you so very much Brian for everything you have done over all these years but I implore you to permit someone who shows they have the skills and passion for these cars to take over the forum from you.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)