I was subscription bombed today. SHIT!

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was subscription bombed today. SHIT!

Post by Da_Hose »

I HATE SCUMBAG HACKERS!!!!! ESPECIALLY THE PIECE OF SHIT RUSSIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: ](*,)

My institution was attacked a year or two ago by bitmining scum in Russia relaying through France, and today I was friggin subscription bombed by mostly Russian sites!

I verified no weird financial activity on my accounts, and reset passwords on all accounts. I am confident things are ok, but it was still a crappy way to spend several hours. At least I'm off the next 3 days, so I can clean out my mailbox regularly. I HATE HACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
635sharknose

Re: I was subscription bombed today. SHIT!

Post by 635sharknose »

Assholes!
Just like the scum from India, who are calling you pretending to be a Microsoft helpdesk and then try to hack your PC. :evil:
Get a job assholes!
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Jose, I'm not exactly sure what happened to you here, can you please explain in a bit greater detail [-o<

Think this would benefit all of us, especially those like me that are not all that computer savvy #-o

Thanks, and sorry to hear this ](*,)
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Same here. I don't understand what "subscription bombed" means.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I saw an article today that seems to indicate it's not just me. A lot of Google mail users are getting hit right now. Seems like a Russian hacker group might have gotten hold of email lists and is running them through a bot that is circumventing Google's firewall/spam protection.

Subscription bombing can be part of a coordinated phishing campaign. The first thing is to gather credentials, and identifying information of as many random people as you can. Then you run people's information through your bots, which start signing users up for any, and every web site resource it can find.

On our end it looks like our mailbox is suddenly flooded with emails welcoming us to random forums, or as a client to random etailers, etc. However, hidden in those subscriptions could be legitimate contacts from business sites (credit providers, loan handlers, etc.) where either someone is trying to steal your identity, or (much worse) they have actually found the way to get a password reset sent to them, and they proceed to steal from your accounts that are accessible online. It can be straight money taken from a bank account, or fraudulent charges, or things like expensive cell phones sent to completely different countries than where you live.

Bottom line is that by flooding your mailbox with subscriptions to random crap, the attacker hopes to hide that one breach that actually gets them into your accounts. So the right response if you get submission bombed, is to go look at all your online ecommerce and other financial accounts, make sure there is NO unauthorized activity. Just for good measure, I also recommend cycling your password on all your financial sites. Save that password list in some kind of safe format. There are highly secure flash cards you can buy, which self-delete if too many unauthorized attempts are made.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Thanks for the heads-up on this Jose!