What projects are going on.......

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What projects are going on.......

Post by sharkfan »

Ahh, it's not all sweetness and light as a 6 owner - just as I was sitting back relaxing thinking all was ok - my '82 635 popped the radiator. No warning just a steamy wisp from the edge of the bonnet. It wasn't catastrophic but on examination the rad's been repaired before so a new one it is - ?140 wasn't too bad especially seeing a pre 82 facelift is quoted at a whopping ?440.

But as it's visiting my garage for a few days I've decided to catch up with a few projects that have been in the pipeline for a little while, namely;

Alarm and Immobiliser upgrade,
Replace missing intensive screenwash tank,
Replace front bumper outside chrome pieces,
Waxoyl,
That central locking additional button thing,
and of course a radiator change and cooling system flush.

The M6 is having a complete speaker upgrade as they're all shot and I'll do the central locking button on there as well. The Waxoyl was done last week.

So what are you guys up to or planning - anything radical going on out there? Anyone considering turning their 6er into a hatch-back or a pick up?

Sharkfan.
UKDaveJ

Re: What projects are going on.......

Post by UKDaveJ »

sharkfan wrote:Ahh, it's not all sweetness and light as a 6 owner - just as I was sitting back relaxing thinking all was ok - my '82 635 popped the radiator. No warning just a steamy wisp from the edge of the bonnet. It wasn't catastrophic but on examination the rad's been repaired before so a new one it is - ?140 wasn't too bad especially seeing a pre 82 facelift is quoted at a whopping ?440.
How much would it have been to have the rad re-cored?
I remember getting a rad (for a 1981 2.8i Ford Capri) re-cored & it was a fantastic job & very reasonable.
But as it's visiting my garage for a few days I've decided to catch up with a few projects that have been in the pipeline for a little while, namely;

Alarm and Immobiliser upgrade,
Replace missing intensive screenwash tank,
Replace front bumper outside chrome pieces,
Waxoyl,
That central locking additional button thing,
and of course a radiator change and cooling system flush.
Whats this central locking additional button thing then?
Does your existing (or planned replacement) alarm/immob give you a fob button to operate the central locking?
I'd love to have a full closure element to mine, you know, the type that will open/close windows & sunroof etc!

Mine does the central locking, but not the full closure part.
It was fitted via the previous owner & is a Sigma, which have since been taken over by Toad. Very good, although the siren doesn't make any noise now when locking/unlocking or when 'going off' I've discovered. Hopefully just a failed siren, you can still hear a barely audible 'alarm' going off when triggered - so that needs sorting! It did work, but fails to now!
The M6 is having a complete speaker upgrade as they're all shot and I'll do the central locking button on there as well. The Waxoyl was done last week.
So what speakers & sizes are you upgrading to? Are you putting in a seperate amp, sub etc? :D
Do you have the full rear headrests on your M635?
Can you easily fit 6"x9" 's in?
So what are you guys up to or planning - anything radical going on out there? Anyone considering turning their 6er into a hatch-back or a pick up?
Sharkfan.
LOL at hatch-back/pick-up :roll: :shock: !!

I'm just going through mine bit by bit, more maintenance & a few improvements (suspension is definitely on the list) & over the winter front wing replacement, rear arch repairs (can't find any repair sections anywhere - over time we are all likely to need them at some point - why don't BMW Mobile Tradition do them?) & re-paint where necessary!

I'd like to ideally find another car (doesn't have to be BMW.....) that has the same profile rear arches, anyone got any ideas on this one.....?

Also I plan to upgrade my sound system & have read of quite a few different installs so far, hence the interest in what you're doing!

Have you posted any pics of your cars yet Sharkfan?

Dave
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

Well my next project is my E34 540 brake uprgrade. I have already done an 850 conversion, but the large callipers don't get on well with 16" Alpina's which just had to be purchased, so the 324mm brakes had to go. They now have a new home on a racing M6.

Anyway i have just purchased a complete set of e34 540 callipers and am currently considering wheather to go Genuine BMW or aftermarket with the discs and pads. I will also be replacing all the brake lines with stainless steel jobbies and the brake bomb will be upgraded again. The car already has a E32 750 master cylinder.

Then i will get onto giving the car a waxoil after nipping in the bud a little rust blemish.

Other jobs include sorting out the washer pumps which have not been working for a couple of years now.

And lastly before the really nasty weather kicks in i will be replacing the rears with some better rubber that can deal with wet roads.

Another project i am looking into is getting a E34 Zenon/angel eye light pack from Germany and modifying it to fit the six. This should give me some extreemly good lights comparable with the newest cars without affecting the look of the car.
Mountain Shark

projects

Post by Mountain Shark »

my first "fun" project will be the the rear diff.

I cannot stress enough what a difference it was driving the M at sea level vs. 6000 feet where I live. I think it's a 3% loss in power every 1000 feet. You do the math - I DEFINATELY feel it. So to get the "rush" back I'm going to look into a 3.91 or a 4.10 The 3.73 is way overgeared for the US in my opinion. It's not like we can drive 130 MPH whenever we want to. Realisticly it'll be a few years before it happens but it's nice to have something to look forward to!

After that, I want my exahust to sound like Brians L6!! :twisted:
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ongoing projects....a lot of them!!

Post by sharkfan »

Hi Dave,

Radiator was already repaired and header was gone not the core so I elected for complete new rad for peace of mind - and I'm keeping the car so no cutting corners.

Additional Central locking switch is in the Tech Articles area of this site and is basically a centre console window switch piggy-backed to the system to prevent serious spinal injuries when when locking the car from the inside.

Alarm upgrade is similar to yours, the old one has failed. Immobiliser is something I try to do to all my cars - a secreted switch inside the cabin that interrupts the fuel pump supply - show me a fuel injection car that will run without a pump!!!

M6 speaker upgrade will be pioneer 6x4 3 ways in the front and then having to replace the 13cm rear speakers that have been cut into the rear pods by a PO, again it will Pioneer 13cm 3 way for a good all round sound. I did think about 6x9's but decided against more rear pod butchery at this time - I did buy a pair but with the frame/mount it takes the width up to 10.5" which is too tight a squeeze onto the pod deck. Never really considered an amp or sub-woofer - I think careful selection of speakers - 40 to 25kHz response - is enough for me but that's personal choice I suppose.

The CSi also requires a little bodywork fettling, one rear arch which is saveable and a few touch-ups here and there - I'm just going to try a recommended body shop in my area so fingers crossed. Lastly a replacement electric aerial for the CSi - the old one was broken and junked a while back and the manual effort is not quite fitting for the uber-coupe.

As for pictures of the collection - I've bought, but not yet picked up or set up, a spanking new flying, dancing, singing and swinging PC with scanner, printer and digital camera so between all the other tasks it shouldn't be long. I would like some advice on taking and posting pictures though, resolution, file size, etc.

Longer term the CSi will need replacement suspension but I'm not all-fired up to get lower, firmer stuff; I think the ride is pretty smooth and just getting new will be all the tightening up it needs.

The Highline will either be sold as is, broken or if I have the heart and time, sorted and smartened - giving me another headache as to what to keep. That or I'll turn it into a hatch or a pick-up for my Labradors!!??
bfons

Re: projects

Post by bfons »

Mountain Shark wrote:
After that, I want my exahust to sound like Brians L6!! :twisted:
Thanks for the compliment.

I love the way she purrs...or I should say growls! 8)
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Projects? what projects...

Post by GRNSHRK »

sharkfan wrote:So what are you guys up to or planning - anything radical going on out there? Anyone considering turning their 6er into a hatch-back or a pick up?
Well, where should I start :) OK, I'll just list them...

Gauge kit, already have the gauges and panel, already installed the sensors for oil temp and pressure.

3.64 40% LSD upgrade from the stock 3.25 open sideloader.

Dash lighting upgrade, from 1.2W to 2.3W in all dash locations. Already have the bulbs!

Interior refinish, to match my new E21 Recaro front seats. Have a Leatherique kit, just need to find time to do the work.

Add a center console from a later model 6er, as part of above. Already have the console!

3.5L (maybe 3.6?) bottom end replacement from an early Euro model M90 motor.

New front air foil!!!

And all of this to be added to an already heavily modified 6er...

Wish me luck :D
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Still working on converting the rear light clusters to banks of LEDs...

...it's a bit more difficult than I thought....
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ya know, I guy here in CA did much LED lighting . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

I'll see if I can find him, although he is not a regular poster on our "other" board, Roadfly.

Might want to ask about this upgrade once in a while, see what we can find for you.
Bobbo
horsetan

Re: Ya know, I guy here in CA did much LED lighting . . .

Post by horsetan »

GRNSHRK wrote:I'll see if I can find him, although he is not a regular poster on our "other" board, Roadfly.

Might want to ask about this upgrade once in a while, see what we can find for you.
Please do try and find him, particularly if he did it on a Six!
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OK, commence with the hunt!!!

Post by GRNSHRK »

And it ws not only on a 6er, it was a Euro M635 CSi!!!

He did front and rear fog lamp upgrades, from what I recall. It was at the Pacific Sharkfest event this year and I seem to recall having a beer in my hand at the time, and several inside me already :?

But we were all impressed by the amount of light output.

I'll see if I can find him.
Bobbo
horsetan

Re: OK, commence with the hunt!!!

Post by horsetan »

GRNSHRK wrote:And it ws not only on a 6er, it was a Euro M635 CSi!!!

He did front and rear fog lamp upgrades, from what I recall. It was at the Pacific Sharkfest event this year and I seem to recall having a beer in my hand at the time, and several inside me already :?

But we were all impressed by the amount of light output.

I'll see if I can find him.
I CAN'T WAIT :D 8) :!: :idea:
kevs635csi

Post by kevs635csi »

ive got bbs s/rims to refurbish & then i need a s/s exhaust
Mountain Shark

Great thread!!

Post by Mountain Shark »

This is a great thread!! I'm getting all kinds of low cost ideas.

Add the instrument panel and dash lighting updrades to my list. I thought it was just my car. Can't tell how fast I'm going at night!! Now I know to change those 3 watt to 5 watt!

Keep the ideas coming!!
bfons

Post by bfons »

Here is my todo list:

-Replace my aftermarket stereo with a BMW Business CD player.
-Do something about the lighting. I'm not sure what I will do but the headlights suck. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Brian

-----------------------
snow shark

Post by snow shark »

Oh god the list changes SO Fast!
New exhaust, headers back all dual pipe like an M6
Reseal differential (weeps)
Refinish my BBS RS wheels
Fix / replace front spoile, then again might go all new spoiler, rear apron, and side skirts
de-ding the whole body and repaint BIG $$$
New seat heaters, car never had them and they would be really nice up here.
Clean engine bay and fix PS leak

More than enough to keep me busy for the next year or so, and I am sure something will crop up by then.

Rik
Mountain Shark

lighting upgrade!!

Post by Mountain Shark »

Thanks to this thread, I learned about the dash lighting upgrade. Today I put 5 watt bulbs in the cluster and 2.3 watt bulbs in all the other places. It got dark before I could put everything together again but I did give me a chance to drool over my new 5 watt cluster. I will now be able to see how fast I am going!!

While I was at it I pulled the center console and got the OBC button light upgraded. NICE! when that gets put together I will be able to eliminate the 1/4 gap between the dash console and the e-brake console that has always bugged me.

Oh, and I found 3 illuminated window switches. Put those in - just need 4 more. Then I'm going to put in an illuminated gear shift handle.

I guess you can tell, I NEED LIGHT!!! (daylight savings time ended and depressed me.)
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Centre console pulled out

Post by sharkfan »

Hi Mountain Shark,

How do you get the centre console out; I've always wanted/needed to but never been able to figure it out; please can you drop me some tips; either PM/e-mail or on the board.

Many, many thanks in advance;

Sharkfan.
UKDaveJ

Re: Centre console pulled out

Post by UKDaveJ »

sharkfan wrote:Hi Mountain Shark,

How do you get the centre console out; I've always wanted/needed to but never been able to figure it out; please can you drop me some tips; either PM/e-mail or on the board.

Many, many thanks in advance;

Sharkfan.
Please put this info on the forum, I have a feeling a few of us might need to have a fiddle around in the same place.

Dave
Mountain Shark

center console

Post by Mountain Shark »

Hi all -- I just used this from the technical library. Mind you - it's a pain but doable. Like a said, I ran out of time for reassembly so when I do that if I remember things I'll let you know.

http://normgrills.net/bcg/Electrical.ht ... or33890878

go to the one that says OBC display bulb replacement. Mine is a pre-87 with no rear air so I didn't even look at section 1.
UKDaveJ

Re: center console

Post by UKDaveJ »

Mountain Shark wrote:Hi all -- I just used this from the technical library. Mind you - it's a pain but doable. Like a said, I ran out of time for reassembly so when I do that if I remember things I'll let you know.

http://normgrills.net/bcg/Electrical.ht ... or33890878

go to the one that says OBC display bulb replacement. Mine is a pre-87 with no rear air so I didn't even look at section 1.
Cheers MtShark, useful.

I wonder whether any UK cars came with rear air-con?

Cheers,
Dave 8)
m3cecotto

Re: center console

Post by m3cecotto »

UKDaveJ wrote:
I wonder whether any UK cars came with rear air-con?

Cheers,
Dave 8)
North American market only, I believe, though you occasionally see the console on eBay.com, e.g.:-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

Thought that might be the case.

Ever since I first saw the rear a/c console I wondered just how effective it is/was with the vents pointing more towards the front occupants than the rears!
Looks cool though...... :wink: :lol:

Dave 8)
Mountain Shark

more on the console and lighting

Post by Mountain Shark »

Ok - first off.....I'm DONE!! Took a drive tonight and WOW it was like there was a light show in the car!! Well, almost.

Now for some tips from my expericence, although the instructions I posted earlier are quite good! There are 6 little bulbs. Sylvania 2723 w2.3w There are 2 in the temp control, 1 in the OBC, 1 in the Check Panel and 1 each for the headlights and fogs. Plus the 2 cluster bulbs.

1. The temperature control lights are easy to get done. I wouldn't shy away from that. There are instuctions in the library for getting the thing out. When you have the thing apart, CLEAN your vents! YUK! Also check the cables that pull the vents open and closed. Operate them while watching. My windsheild vent cable was ready to come off. It would suck if it did. Before you put it back together, BLOCK ALL LIGHT THAT ESCAPES. In other words, you'll see that there are only two bulbs in the whole deal that illuminate the entire thing. The light is directed in plastic housings. The housings are not always "air tight" or in this case "light tight." I used small diameter moldable putty to seal off all places light could escape and dim the dials.

2. Check your OBC computer button lights carefully before you decide to do that one. If you don't REALLY want them brighter but you just think it would be kind of neat ----- STAY OUT. What a PAIN.

It says to take the radio out. Don't. Since you already have the temp control panel out you don't need to mess with the radio.

The instructions I linked talk about a "little screw you can't get to." "Don't worry" it says, "it's barely hanging on and you'll be able to pull it out." Yeah, well mine was hanging on quite well thank you. As a result, I had to "pivot" on that screw with everything else out. That limits your working space considerably. Still nothing the radio would help. Since you have to pivot, ONLY take the right 2 OBC screws out ("right" if you were sitting in the cockpit looking at it. Just LOOSEN the other 2 but don't take them off. It's next to impossible to get them started again and you can slide the OBC out without taking them all the way out.

3. A word about the OBC bulb itself. If you can figure out the instructions in the technical library that talk about making some kind of metal tube to fish it out, that would be great. Use the Check Panel bulb as a reference for fabrication. It's the same style of fitting and easy to get to. I can't see how I would have ever made that work.

3. Back to the bulb....getting it out of the fitting is quite hard. I really had to work at it and all the while I was sure I was going to crush it in my fingers and be stuck. It's because the bulb is like a little Christmas tree light with long exposed connection wires. These wrap around the fitting (easy to see) and keep it in there. Break them off if you need to. The replacement bulbs will NOT work as is. The contact wires are in the wrong place. Move them to the outside edges and presto!

3. getting the console back in is MUCH more difficult (and stressfull) than getting it out. It took HOURS and all for one little bulb! But, I got it done with nothing damaged which was my main concern. By the way, when I say "out" I only mean pulled out maybe 5 inches. At that point to get it ALL the way out looks only to require disconnecting a few more wiring harnesses.

THAT SAID ---- for me it was WORTH IT! The OBC lights are considerably brighter.

4. The cluster were the easiest but don't try to cheat and not take the steering wheel off. Can't see how that would work. Be SURE to "light tight" the 2 fittings on the cluster. A lot of light escapes out of the back.

5. Don't get cocky like I did and think you will remember where you put all the screws and which screws went where. You won't. Bag them and mark the bags.

That's all I can remember. IT WAS WORTH IT!! Thank's to whoever started this tread and to whoever posted this idea!!!
bfons

Re: more on the console and lighting

Post by bfons »

Mountain Shark,

Thank you for adding these tidbits. Its sharing the real world info that makes the forums a success.

Brian
Brian

-----------------------