Time differences experienced on this forum & Your age?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

UKDaveJ

Time differences experienced on this forum & Your age?

Post by UKDaveJ »

I'm about to go to bed. The time here is 5 mins past midnight & I've had too much beer & wine, celebrating my brother-in-law's 30th Birthday..

Just noticed there are a few people on now & my question is simply, what time is it with you now?
I think many of you are online from North America so the day with me is now Thursday 14th October, how many hours behind GMT are you where you are now?
Maybe it could be entered under our forum names, next to location etc, so -7 would be 7 hours behind GMT.

Secondary semi-silly, what is the average age of us forum members?.

So why not post your age, bet we have a pretty wide spread!
I'm 35.

Hic, bed,

dave :roll: :oops:
kevs635csi

Post by kevs635csi »

im 31
snow shark

Post by snow shark »

as far as + or - GMT have not a clue. 3:32pm alaska standard time
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

37 and in alcohol eased denial :twisted: [/img]
Quendil

Post by Quendil »

I'm 32 and I have to get up far too early tommorrow!
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Will be 33 on October 26th, and feel about double that age. Particularly after the report on what's left of the pensions industry :cry:

Am looking forward to working well into my 70s, and dropping dead on the first day of my retirement....
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:Will be 33 on October 26th, and feel about double that age. Particularly after the report on what's left of the pensions industry :cry:

Am looking forward to working well into my 70s, and dropping dead on the first day of my retirement....
LOL, I was thinking of getting LOADS of credit cards when I'm in my early 60's, amassing huge debts (having already 'signed' the house over to Chris....) & then travelling abroad, buying some svelte car & having a laugh...

Sorry, just woke up. Must have been dreaming :roll: :shock:

Dave 8)
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:LOL, I was thinking of getting LOADS of credit cards when I'm in my early 60's, amassing huge debts (having already 'signed' the house over to Chris....) & then travelling abroad, buying some svelte car & having a laugh...
You do realise, of course, that Chris will be cursing your ghost when he finds out just how much inheritance tax he might have to shell out for :?:

Considering that my old man's property is worth - at current insane prices - somwhere between ?400K and ?500K, that leaves me with a bill of getting on for ?80K.... which I've not got.
DodgyKen

Post by DodgyKen »

To avoid inheritance tax get your parents to sign the property over to you - with a right to live there until they die. As long as this happens long enough before they die then Mr Taxman can whistle for it.

Read up on the inland revenue website. It actually tells you what you can give away, get rid of and when.

And I am 28, living and working in Switzerland (for getting on for the last 6months)

Still no 6er though
Kaotiq635

Post by Kaotiq635 »

Well I'm from Australia and been using the net since my uni days, so I'm used to dealing people in totaly different time zones.

Worked for US & Canadian companies for many years and many of those guys often fail to comprehend other timezones exist :?

I'm 37, just bought my first E24.

Had a chat with a fellow car nut at work on a bussines trip a week or so ago, i realised i've never owned a non-german car, though I did have a brief flirtation with some italian cars at one stage, pity they seem to rust like deck cargo on a submarine (even in a dry country like Australia) and a foolish examination of grey market Nissan Skylines a few years back.

Cheers,
Iain
UKDaveJ

Rust like deck cargo on a submarine!

Post by UKDaveJ »

Kaotiq635 wrote:...... though I did have a brief flirtation with some italian cars at one stage, pity they seem to rust like deck cargo on a submarine (even in a dry country like Australia).............
What a fantastic metaphor! :D

DAve 8)
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Time Zones

Post by ron »

As Dave said love that metaphor,Iain. Time zones here in Wales sometimes seem to be measured in years not hours !!!
EMMMM_90

JUST TURNED.....

Post by EMMMM_90 »

I just turned 27 this past Dec 1st. I am located in Los Angeles.
Dave

Hi folks!

Post by Dave »

I'm 39, live in Derbyshire UK, and joined this forum, oh, about thirty seconds ago.

My daily driver is an '87 520i, which has owned me for about a year and a half.

For the first 34 years of my life, I lived in Canada near Winnipeg. Winnipeg was recently described on BBC radio as "the coldest inhabited place on earth."

Back in the [c]old country I ran a variety of iron, including a '67 Oldsmobile Toronado (385 horsepower on a front wheel drive chassis), an '81 Chevy Z28 Camaro (fast junk), an '85 Corvette (wheeeeeee!!!!), a V8 powered Jeep, a '95 Ford Bronco 4x4 Sport (*yawn*), and a gaggle of motorcycles (wheeeeeee!!!!).

Now I'm looking for something a bit further up the BMW food chain than my ploddy 520. After considering a broken E28 M5 with rust from top to bottom and a boot leaky enough to be used as a swimming pool, and an assortment of newer 328s and 528s (*yawn*), I have decided to let a 635 choose me. I have limited funds but am pretty good with a wrench, so I'm hoping to find a cheap-'n'-cheerful winter project in need of considerable TLC.

Looks like this is the place to gain "The Knowledge", as it were, 635-wise...

Dave...
Attachments
520i, shortly after its annual carwash.
520i, shortly after its annual carwash.
horsetan

Re: Hi folks!

Post by horsetan »

Dave wrote:....Looks like this is the place to gain "The Knowledge", as it were, 635-wise...
See also e-Bay, where some "Highlines" seem to be coming out of the woodwork this week.....
Dave

Post by Dave »

horsetan wrote:See also e-Bay, where some "Highlines" seem to be coming out of the woodwork this week.....
Indeed. I've been drooling over them most of the afternoon. Has anyone got a real bargain on EBay? Vehicles on EBay seem to usually go for just a bit more than I'm willing to pay, and EBay doesn't give me as much opportunity to knock down the price by pointing out the flaws the seller hoped I wouldn't notice, then tempting him or her into a quick sale by waving a tasty wad of cash.

Dave...
m3cecotto

Post by m3cecotto »

Dave wrote:I'm 39, live in Derbyshire UK, and joined this forum, oh, about thirty seconds ago.

My daily driver is an '87 520i, which has owned me for about a year and a half. After considering a broken E28 M5 with rust from top to bottom and a boot leaky enough to be used as a swimming pool
Any more info on this car as it sounds just what I might be daft enough to be looking for?
snow shark

Post by snow shark »

Mine came off eBay, was not a bad deal and I did not pay more than similar cars have gone for on and off eBay. However having said that I wish I could have driven it first. Most likely would have bought it anyway, she stole my heart the first time I saw her. Of course I had been looking for three years.
Rik
Attachments
sd2.jpg
jrcalvin

Post by jrcalvin »

I live near Salt Lake City Utah, USA and I have to drive to Las Vegas or California to hook up with some similar sixer crazies or afficianados.

My age............jeez! If I was back in my thirties like most of you guys I would "slash my wrists"!!!!! Ha! Ha!
okartguy

Post by okartguy »

Just checking in real quick before bed... it's 12:30 CST here in Edmond, Oklahoma. Are there ANY other Okies on this board? I met an early 633 CSi in traffic a few months ago; exchanged waves and grins but have no idea where the guy lives. Also was behind a nice silver 635 a few weeks ago with "Turbo" badging on the rear deck. Unfortunately I was in my truck, but I busted arse to get up behind him in the off-chance he was stopping nearby and I could quiz him. No such luck. Anyway, it's kinda lonely owning a sixer around here.

Oh, and I'm 28.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

High-line for sale

Post by ron »

Hi Dave, Welcome to the forum.I've got an'88 highline for sale.Need the drive space.161,000 tax and MOT.I've had it for a couple of years and done lots of bits and pieces to it.If interested PM me.Regds.Ron.
craigt

Post by craigt »

I'm 35

There's a pattern imerging here ! Early mid life crisis anyone :?: :wink: :lol:
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

craigt wrote:I'm 35

There's a pattern imerging here ! Early mid life crisis anyone :?: :wink: :lol:
No Craig, its simply called being able to afford something that you couldn't when it was new, or were just too young to drive at all, let alone a glorious 6 series..... :wink: :D

How many mid-30's drivers are there of the NEW 6 series (excepting those who've been able to get them as Company cars...) that you've seen on the road?
Me, I've only seen guys in their 50's+ driving the new 6!

My thoughts, for what they're worth..... :roll:

Dave 8)
craigt

Post by craigt »

craigt wrote: Early mid life crisis anyone ?
Only kidding :lol:
UKDaveJ wrote: No Craig, its simply called being able to afford something that you couldn't when it was new, or were just too young to drive at all, let alone a glorious 6 series..... :wink: :D

How many mid-30's drivers are there of the NEW 6 series (excepting those who've been able to get them as Company cars...) that you've seen on the road?
Me, I've only seen guys in their 50's+ driving the new 6!

My thoughts, for what they're worth..... :roll:

Dave 8)
How many people in there mid 30's will be driving the new 6 series in 20 years :?:

Not many for my money, the new car just dosen't have the same appeal in my opinion :cry:

Craig
UKDaveJ

Future 'new' 6 owners in 20 yrs time - anyone??!

Post by UKDaveJ »

Very good point regarding who will be driving the new 6 in 20yrs time.

The shape is ok from some angles, like from either front quarter, where the curve of the rear flank hides the butt ugly boot line.

From the rear it looks odd, in profile that boot line just kills it.

Directly from front it looks ok, although the headlights form a squinted eyes, or sad depending on how you look at them.

I'd like to drive one, but can't see one creeping onto my wish list.

Now, the M version will hopefully have enough agressive lines & a better solution for the rear, just like the Alpina 7 series, where a superbly designed rear spoiler makes the rear end finally acceptable.
Then it should be thoroughly desirable........ :?:

Don't know, will just have to wait & see.

Dave 8)