Coupe Restoration

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Quendil

Coupe Restoration

Post by Quendil »

Well I've spent most of the holidays restoring my E9. Finally got the engine in but still need to order a few bits (Shocks are knackered on the front). Also spent the past few days sorting out the wiring loom and putting in new cables for the alarm I'm fitting. The last couple of days were spent getting the dash back in, what a pig, no wonder BMW stopped letting Karman build their cars!
Attachments
New brake lines anf firewall covering
New brake lines anf firewall covering
Engine and gearbox back together after fitting a new torque convertor! Ouch!
Engine and gearbox back together after fitting a new torque convertor! Ouch!
Body raised to get engine in from underneath on subframe
Body raised to get engine in from underneath on subframe
Quendil

More Pics

Post by Quendil »

More Pics
Attachments
Engine Back in!
Engine Back in!
Dash back in
Dash back in
Dash in and what a pig to get in!
Dash in and what a pig to get in!
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coupe Resto.

Post by ron »

Hi Dave, Certainly looking good.What are the carbs? They look like large downdraught jobs.Keep up the good work.Is that you smiling in photo #1?
carrie

Post by carrie »

looks like a big job. why does it have 2 master cylinders?.
Quendil

Post by Quendil »

The carbs are twin Zenith and I'm hoping they don't need setting up again. Thats my Dad smiling befoer we tried to fit the dash!
Quendil

Post by Quendil »

Hi Carrie,
They are actually brake boosters as the E9, E12 and early E24 (Before 82) had twin circuits. One circuit just operates the front brakes (2 pistons on each front caliper) and the other circuit operates the rear brakes and front brakes (Other 2 pistons on front calipers).
UKDaveJ

Bloody nice job you're making there Dave!

Post by UKDaveJ »

Wonderful Dave!

Happy New Year to you!

Very very impressed, mind you, I've looked through your website pics before & realise just how much work you've been doing already.

Gather that is your Dads' garage rather than yours, there are few E24 parts that I can see....?!

Cheers,

Dave 8)
Quendil

Post by Quendil »

Word of advice to anyone thinking of restoring a car - Don't. Buy one already done as it will save you alot of money and hassel!
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Quendil wrote:Word of advice to anyone thinking of restoring a car - Don't. Buy one already done as it will save you alot of money and hassel!
Yes, we keep on hearing this from different quarters.... and still end up with cars needing restoration sooner or later :!: :roll:
Quendil

Post by Quendil »

My advice is when you car gets to that stage sell it or scrap it and but another one!