Help Support Bigcoupe.com

Jacking and Lift Points - A Visual Guide (Help!)

This forum is dedicated to technical write-ups contributed by Bigcoupe.com members. Please submit an article you have written to [email protected] in order to have your article posted.

Moderators: ron, bfons, GRNSHRK

Pod
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by Pod » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:16 pm

If there's one piece of advice I can pass on, never ever use the sill jacking points on an E24, or any other older car for that matter [-X

Ask me how I know :wink:

Alright, I'll tell you. Back in 1976, my first car, a 1968 Austin 1300, balanced on the provided jack which I had slotted into the jacking point. Then s-l-o-w-l-y settled its wheels down again with an awful crunching noise having taken the jack up into the sill :lol:

PTFunk
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by PTFunk » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:39 pm

Pod wrote:If there's one piece of advice I can pass on, never ever use the sill jacking points on an E24, or any other older car for that matter [-X
Where on Dan's diagram would these sill points be located? :-k
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs

hornhospital
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by hornhospital » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:10 pm

The green squares.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann";'87 325is "Odette"; '93 325is "Elvira"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"; '95 318is "Bebe"

gt40mk2

Post by gt40mk2 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:01 pm

Pod wrote:If there's one piece of advice I can pass on, never ever use the sill jacking points on an E24, or any other older car for that matter [-X

Ask me how I know :wink:

Alright, I'll tell you. Back in 1976, my first car, a 1968 Austin 1300, balanced on the provided jack which I had slotted into the jacking point. Then s-l-o-w-l-y settled its wheels down again with an awful crunching noise having taken the jack up into the sill :lol:
The sill points are not like jacking slots you would find on some cars. As mentioned previously in this thread, the sill points are what are used for hoisting. I just had mine on a hoist for a month on the sills and it was fine. So they are also great for jack stands, if you have rubber or wooden blocks to fit in the squares.

(Now, if you're talking about a rusty car, that's another story.)

Was just this afternoon jacking the front end, and I wish I had seen the 2x4's-on-tow-hooks idea. I think that sounds very good.
1979 Euro E24

85MSteinway

Re: Jacking and Lift Points - A Visual Guide (Help!)

Post by 85MSteinway » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Long time lurker here: I've searched out a lot of different jack points on a lot of different cars over my time. Now that I find a need for performing this particular task on an e24 I have to register to say this is the best example I've ever come across. I'll be sure to do a proper introduction post in the proper location after I get my car lifted and situated.