Help Support Bigcoupe.com

Paintless Dent Removal - Taking the plunge

This forum is dedicated to technical write-ups contributed by Bigcoupe.com members. Please submit an article you have written to [email protected] in order to have your article posted.

Moderators: ron, bfons, GRNSHRK

Da_Hose

Paintless Dent Removal - Taking the plunge

Post by Da_Hose » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:33 am

Hello all,

The time has finally come to buy my daughter a car, so we tracked down a great little 2003 Mini Cooper for her. It's got 85K on the clock, but the transmission and clutch were both replaced less than 50K ago. Mechanically it's great, and the interior is also just fine. The exterior does have a fair amount of "city livin" love taps, including big dents at the front fender corners.

So then, seeing as how those little dents could use some fixing, I figured it's time to learn how to do some paintless dent removal. My first attempt at the big dent on the passenger side front fender turned out great!

This is the passenger fender. You can see the dent is a big bubble, with a crease in the middle.
passminifenderbefore.jpg
passminifenderbefore.jpg (104.18 KiB) Viewed 861 times
This is what it looked like after I finished with the glue pull. It still has a crease, but the fender is nice and rounded outward now. I am really happy with the progress. I have some rods and a light board on the way. Once I get those, I can push out the crease from the back side, and I'll post pics. of how it turns out.
passminifenderafter.jpg
passminifenderafter.jpg (200.79 KiB) Viewed 861 times
The one below is nasty one on the driver side. You can see it isn't just pushed in, but the bottom is pinched/buckled. I tried to glue pull the upper part of the oval dent, but it isn't moving. I am waiting for my rods to attack that one. If this all pans out, I might just have a new marketable skill! :lol:

After I submitted the thread, I realized it probably belongs in the Saloon since this is non-E24 content. Feel free to move it (and sorry if I goofed) Bobbo.

Jose
Attachments
driverminifender.jpg
driverminifender.jpg (305.89 KiB) Viewed 861 times
1987 M6 - My dream car

olympia57
Bigcoupe supporter

Re: Paintless Dent Removal - Taking the plunge

Post by olympia57 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Good job , I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with the new tools.
I've never tried it but have watched it being done on several of my cars and it truly is an art .
I had a small pushed up dimple repaired on the e24 and the local guy here ,who is an absolute expert and gentleman , and he said that the steel was much much tougher and less malliable than newer steel.
1981 635 series 1

clipper47
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by clipper47 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:26 pm

I had a professional dent remover try to take a small dent from the top of drivers side fender of my 1985 635CSi. He removed some of it but stopped saying the metal was too thick for him to finish the job and if he forced the metal it would crack the paint.
Dave

GRNSHRK
E12 Based Guru

Post by GRNSHRK » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 pm

Joser, think I'll actually move this to the "tech articles" forum, so please add your progress as you move along [-o<

I've tried this once before as well, but wound up having a pro do the job #-o

It was a section that had 2 layers of sheet metal, claimed it was very tough to deal with :-({|=

Cool car, she will love it :lol:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi
Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2011 F10 528i
2005 E46 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio

You can never have too many BMW's