'New' Pistonheads SS rules...

Pictures and talk about the UK SharkFests with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

'New' Pistonheads SS rules...

Post by Brucey »

I just got an e-mail this afternoon (i.e. about 12.30pm Friday) from PH about the upcoming sunday service.

It said 'reserve list' which I expected, but it also said 'new rules are that you need to remove your name from the list if you are not coming and you need to do that before the cutoff of 9am on the Friday before the event and that if you fail to do so 'you may not be allowed to attend future PH events'. And that 'if you are on the reserve list don't come on spec we won't let you in'.

Well call me silly names if you like but sending out an e-mail like that after the cutoff puts people in a no-win situation, does it not?

- anyone taking their name off the list after getting the e-mail has breached the rules...
- but despite (or because of that) over 100 people signed off the list (i.e. about 1/3 of everyone who had signed up previously) by ~5pm Friday...
- anyone who was on the reserve list on Friday morning could find themselves on the main list at any time before sunday morning (and therefore be in breach of the rules if they then don't turn up having had almost zero warning as it were...)

so on the one hand I think it is good that they have 'done something' but then again I'm not sure this is quite the right thing.

I wonder if instead of this arrangement they perhaps ought to encourage people to 'confirm' by a certain date, and that if you are on the reserve list you don't get penalised if you get onto the main list at very short notice or something....

what do others think?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JohnRogers

Re: 'New' Pistonheads SS rules...

Post by JohnRogers »

The recent BMW PH event was heavily oversubscribed but I managed to get in because many people cancelled and I eventually got onto the list by sometime during Saturday afternoon. When we left on Sunday at 12ish there was quite a queue of cars waiting at the gate and I assume that security were by then letting one in when one departed. To some extent I suppose they are probably making it up as they go.
So if I am going to cancel, it will need to be done by 9am Friday morning. If something goes wrong and I then am not able to go - who knows what the rules are? However if after 9am there are cancellations and your name gets onto the list, what is to be done?
Again, I feel they are making it up as they go.

It is of course a pity because these are still very entertaining events. Unfortunately the Goodwood Breakfast Meetings which were originally very interesting now have thousands of people attending.

I attach a snip of the PH posting on this which makes pretty poor reading.
Attachments
PH Attendance.JPG
PH Attendance.JPG (84.77 KiB) Viewed 8588 times
JohnRogers

Post by JohnRogers »

So to whom does this car belong - seen at Buntingford?
Attachments
PH 28 02 2016 a.JPG
PH 28 02 2016 a.JPG (62.77 KiB) Viewed 8558 times
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

yup, 'twas I.... but that is Bruntingthorpe, not Buntingford!

I spent most of Saturday chasing down a misfire which has appeared over the winter somehow (its like every 6er in Cambridge is sick right now... :roll: ) so I didn't clean the car or anything.... but the old girl got me to Brunters and back, despite the misfire not being 100% cured.

I confess I spent most of the time at Bruntingthorpe looking at aircraft; they have quite a few rare aircraft there and visitors can (by prior arrangement) have a 'cold war jets' guided tour. I had a chat with the tour guide (an ex RAF controller) before his punters turned up, and spent some time looking around many of the following;

Handley-Page Victor (still in desert paint)
several Marks of Hawker Hunter,
Canberra (ex Boscombe Down),
Comet IV
Nimrod MR2,
English Electric Lightning (s) ,
Lockheed Starfighter F-104D (in west german air force livery),
Dassault Mystere IVa,
De Havilland Sea Vixen,
Several Blackburn Buccaneers,
Several Jet Provosts,
Super Guppy (which I went inside),
Jaguar,
shackleton (looking more than a bit sick).

There were some nice cars too..... :wink:

But I am quite keen to go back to Bruntingthorpe on one of their 'display days' where they at least fire up and taxi any of the jets that are in working order.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JohnRogers

Post by JohnRogers »