E24 / Coupe News

Pictures and talk about the UK SharkFests with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sohlman

E24 / Coupe News

Post by sohlman »

Hi all,

First of all I need to apologise again for not keeping you guys informed. I am suffering from the time old problem of too many things to do and not enough hours in the day.

Ok the summer is now basically over the long nights are drawing in and most of the events have now finished or have they. I'll get to that.

Just a quick summary of the season. Things started well with the first event of the year at Ottershaw. There was a big turn out and we went for a long drive which I think all enjoyed. The other pub events were not that well turned out, but that was largely down to me not making enough noise about them and the weather on each weekend having potential to rain. The larger events had good turnouts, but in the case of Brands Hatch which was to be the sharkfest, the non stop torrential rain meant we could not get cars together. It was a shame as had the weather been good we could of had a large line up of sixes and other Bavarian motors on the banking (We had agreement from Brands for 500 cars). The retro cars show suffered at the other extreme in that the weather was too hot and was very uncomfortable. There was a good turnout with some 25 cars in attendance. I think I was the only owner of an E24 to go up the quarter, but a couple of other BMW's went up including a 375i monster doing an 8.something run. I went to Le Mans with a few members and you can read all about that experience in this months magazine.

Gaydon the clubs main event of the year was a cracker and the rain stayed away long enough for member to enjoy themselves. I think the highlight of the day was getting to go on the Aston Martin Test Track and my old six achieved 126mph on the GPS. Not sure what it would have been on the Speedo as typical mine was not working. Now fixed mind you.

So a brief summary of what has happened.

Now lets look for the future.

In the diary of events there is a event listed for this weekend at Epsom's Tatternham corner. I am having problems on this one as I am partaking in a rally this weekend and it's going to be very tight for me to get back so I can't make this one. So if anyone wants to get together they are more than welcome, but I am going to be unable to join you. However I have a cracker of an event that I can propose for this month.

Brian Bradley and Richard Baxter are organising the Silverstone GP trackday for the club. I am sure that most of you won't want to go out on the track, but if you do this is an event where you can drive the full GP race circuit. Not only this there will be an opportunity to partake in a cavalcade, and photo session within the pits by model. There is also a driving skills test. And of course lots of passengers ride available including batmobile, Sabine from top gear in a new M5 and DTM M3's. I am going to go along to this. I was hoping to have my E30 race car project ready, but I don't think that's going to happen now. However I will be there and will fly the coupe / E24 flag. The day is on Monday 25th September. If you can get time off work, then I suggest you go to this one as it's going to be a great day. If you want to attend you need to telephone Brian Bradley ASAP on 01395 265318 or e-mail [email protected] . Please see page 16 of the club magazine for more information.

Then there is the German cars show in October 15th. I have yet to confirm this. If you are interested in attending let me know and if there is enough interest then I will set up a stand, but the general consensus is low for this event.

Then on the 22nd is the Bimmerfest indoor show at Donington. The club wants me to organise and run a coupe stand. I still don't have exact numbers and full details of cars that they want, but can I say that if you want to be on the stand for this then let me know and I will draw up a list. Can't guarantee anything, but will do my best to look after anyone that want to get involved.

Then to finish the season off myself and Ross have secured a BMW stand at the Birmingham NEC on the 27th - 29th October. We went and did this last year and had a massive response. If you like old classic cars this is the largest indoor classic car show of the year. So if you can make it come in and say hello as we celebrate the 30th Birthday of the E24, 40th of the 02 and 20 years of the E30 M3 for one last time.

Just a final note, but earlier on this year I had my car filmed. It is to be aired shortly on the 19th September on Discovery Real time @ 9pm. If you about you can see me looking very cold and my car being abused in some sideways action. See below for all cars featured and there showing times.

Sorry for the almost never ending e-mail.

Kind Regards

James Sohl

Coupe / E24 Chairman

BMW Car Club

ALL TRANSMISSION ARE ON DISCOVERY REAL TIME

Porsche Ep. 1 + 2

TX Date: Tuesday 29th August 2006

Time: 21:00

Jeep Ep. 1 + 2

TX Date: Tuesday 5th September

Alfa Spider Ep. 1 + 2

TX Date: Tuesday 12th September

BMW Ep. 1 + 2

TX Date: Tuesday 19th September

Corvette Ep. 1 + 2

TX Date: Tuesday 26th September

Lexus Ep. 1 + 2

TX Date: Tuesday 2nd October

86C

Post by 86C »

I'll more than likely be at Bimmerfest as it's local to me :D
Don't suppose anyone has a video of your car from the Discovery channel programme do they? Not being at home much(my house is currently just somewhere to crash every now and then) means it isn't worth having cable/satellite TV so I wasn't able to watch this :(
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

Still have not seen it myself.

James