Jockfest - Sunday 20/4 ?

Pictures and talk about the UK SharkFests with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

cecotto479

Jockfest - Sunday 20/4 ?

Post by cecotto479 »

The 20th of April is Drive it Day. It's a national "event" promoted by the FBHVC to promote the use of classic cars. Originally it was meant to be that whatever you were doing on that day, you used your classic car to do, so visiting the mother in law, golf (if anybody plays such a dull game), garden centre, B&Q etc., would all be done in your classic car. It's designed to promote use of classic cars - or rather it was before the FBHVC decided that thaat policy was no longer sustainable.

Anyway, I wondered if we Jocks should have our much talked about E24 meet then?

I thought a wee afternoon run to somewhere Stirling/Perth/Loch Lomond/Central ish. Something to eat, natter, photos and home
Anybody interested?

ColinC?
G.Mac?
any others?
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Aye! Sounds like a laugh, will have to clear it with the wife ( & baby son I s'pose), off course right on cue I have just developed a fuel leak from the filler neck in the petrol tank! You still got that radiator Boyd, tried your mobile the other day but got a funny tone.....
94 Porsche 993
86 BMW M635CSi (Sold! Being Restored in Poland!)
97 Jeep -winter hack!
05 325 MSport Touring
cecotto479

Post by cecotto479 »

Colin C wrote:Aye! Sounds like a laugh, will have to clear it with the wife ( & baby son I s'pose), off course right on cue I have just developed a fuel leak from the filler neck in the petrol tank! You still got that radiator Boyd, tried your mobile the other day but got a funny tone.....
That would be the Vilamoura golf course ring tone. Back now. I'll dig it out and if you give me a call you can collect it.
G.Mac

Post by G.Mac »

Im up for that if I dont have a job by then!!! and if I have my engine put back together again (what a pain in the arse it is to have to take the head off to change an exhaust gasket)

Graeme
the jobless bum
juzza

Post by juzza »

Will check with 'err indoors but hopefully will be there ...

Justin
1986 Zinnober 635 CSi
Colin C

Thunderbirds are GO!

Post by Colin C »

Sorted out the fuel problem, not a leaky tank after all, just a loose connection to the outlet line on top of the tank.

Anybody still up for the Sunday run, I thought over to Balloch, up the side of Loch Lomond then over the military road to Faslane, good pic oppurtunity, along the wash board road to Arrochar, spot of lunch at the Pit Stop, good fry up, then either along Loch Lomond again and home or up to Callendar then home.........any thoughts.

This would be a good test run for me as I am still loosing coolant, have a small oil leak, small misfire, non working odometer, faulty SI board and several other issues that I'm sure will manifest themselves on the run! Safety in numbers.................
94 Porsche 993
97 Jeep -winter hack!
05 325 MSport Touring
cecotto479

Re: Thunderbirds are GO!

Post by cecotto479 »

Colin C wrote:Sorted out the fuel problem, not a leaky tank after all, just a loose connection to the outlet line on top of the tank.

Anybody still up for the Sunday run, I thought over to Balloch, up the side of Loch Lomond then over the military road to Faslane, good pic oppurtunity, along the wash board road to Arrochar, spot of lunch at the Pit Stop, good fry up, then either along Loch Lomond again and home or up to Callendar then home.........any thoughts.

This would be a good test run for me as I am still loosing coolant, have a small oil leak, small misfire, non working odometer, faulty SI board and several other issues that I'm sure will manifest themselves on the run! Safety in numbers.................
Sounds OK. Probably better for me in the afternoon and probably in an E30 because I doubt my diff would get me to Strathaven, let alone Luss.
G.Mac

Post by G.Mac »

Well unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it as I nhave to Join a ship on Thursday.

Hope you guys have a good run and get plenty of pics up on the forum so I can feel even more sick when I get home and see what a good run you guys had.

All the best

Graeme :cry:
drjim

Post by drjim »

cecotto479 wrote: Sounds OK. Probably better for me in the afternoon and probably in an E30 because I doubt my diff would get me to Strathaven, let alone Luss.
I know of a suitable diff that is in edinburgh, do you want me to check if it is available?
cecotto479

Post by cecotto479 »

drjim wrote:
cecotto479 wrote: Sounds OK. Probably better for me in the afternoon and probably in an E30 because I doubt my diff would get me to Strathaven, let alone Luss.
I know of a suitable diff that is in edinburgh, do you want me to check if it is available?

I have a diff from the breaker thanks, Jim, which is ready to go in with new seals and gaskets etc. It's just a question of getting it done. It's a heavy bugger and I might just get it done somewhere.

Of course, never having run it, the replacement diff might be as bad as the existing one and then your Ednburgh option may be required.

Thanks again.
cecotto479

Post by cecotto479 »

G.Mac wrote:Well unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it as I nhave to Join a ship on Thursday.

Hope you guys have a good run and get plenty of pics up on the forum so I can feel even more sick when I get home and see what a good run you guys had.

All the best

Graeme :cry:
Good news about the job though.

Next time.
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

I also have a diff, it's from an 85 M5 give me a shout if you want to collect........change that in a hour easy!
94 Porsche 993
97 Jeep -winter hack!
05 325 MSport Touring
cecotto479

Post by cecotto479 »

Colin C wrote:I also have a diff, it's from an 85 M5 give me a shout if you want to collect........change that in a hour easy!
Brilliant, Colin, That's very kind of you. Will you bring your own tools or do you want to borrow mine? When suits? ;-)
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Aye, Err, Well, Yes....that's what it says in the manual anyway!

Seriously though if you want a hand we could attack it on Sunday afternoon, would be better to do the run when we have both M's up and running. No offence but they E30 Cabrio things are common as muck in Luss you know.........
94 Porsche 993
97 Jeep -winter hack!
05 325 MSport Touring
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Colin C wrote:I also have a diff, it's from an 85 M5 give me a shout if you want to collect........change that in a hour easy!
If you can change a diff. in an hour I'll buy you a bottle of "malt". Ron.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
cecotto479

Post by cecotto479 »

Colin C wrote:Aye, Err, Well, Yes....that's what it says in the manual anyway!

Seriously though if you want a hand we could attack it on Sunday afternoon, would be better to do the run when we have both M's up and running. No offence but they E30 Cabrio things are common as muck in Luss you know.........
So, instead of "Drive it Day", you're suggesting, "Fix it Day". Might work. I could do with a hand lifting the old one out and the new one in. Heavy bastards and the one thing I don't have is a transmission jack, but I might sort that before Sunday.

I have, of course, lost your number. Give me a call and if we get it done, you can have Ron's malt.
drjim

Post by drjim »

Boyd

I just cut/pasted your spiel RE drive it day on the e21 forum (appropriately credited as I am sure you have ? it) to try to get the buggers mobile. Don't think we'll be driving up to Scotland though.

I have a working e21, 635 that gets welded on Monday, and the other e21 slowly coming to bits. I suspect part of drive it day for me will be dismantle it day, as I promised the garage that I'd get the carpet out of the sixer before they got the MIG out. Plus we can do fix it day as we have to fit the interior in my mates 323i with e30 325i power, not had the insides put back since the engine swap - should be fun either way!!!

Jim
G.Mac

Post by G.Mac »

Well I just had a bodge it day here, turns out that no6 lower exhaust stud was stripped in the head!!!!!!! and thats why it was blowing, after much swearing and buggering about we managed to get all 12 nuts / studs out.
We had to tap no 6 lower out to accomodate a M10 bolt but all is well now.

I am trying to persuade my brother to come along to the run when im at my work to convince him it is worth keeping the 6 (when sober he tells mme to fanny it up and sell it on and when hes had a few cans hes telling the world how it is such a lovely car to drive)

I just wish I had the cash to do a full rebuild like the car deserves
(and I bloody wish i was able to come along on the run!!)

Graeme
juzza

Post by juzza »

I cannae make it down from Elgin before midday so might I be so bold as to suggest a lunchtime meet followed by the run? Anyone care to say where ?

Boyd, have you any idea how many might be coming (piece of string, I know...)

Cheers

Justin
1986 Zinnober 635 CSi
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

ron wrote:
If you can change a diff. in an hour I'll buy you a bottle of "malt". Ron.
I can't wait to see what happens next :lol:
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

[I can't wait to see what happens next ]

Well you'll just have too, big diff change not on for Sunday :lol: [/quote]
94 Porsche 993
97 Jeep -winter hack!
05 325 MSport Touring
G.Mac

Post by G.Mac »

So did Jockfest go ahead?, is there any pics for us to drool over?

Graeme (home for 5 days then away for 5 weeks :cry: :D :?: )

Graeme
635_Miles

Post by 635_Miles »

Likewise, I'm just back from a 4 month visit to Texas. God, I'm loving that smooth, silky, straight six. Pity that being outside during a Scottish winter has led to the bodywork getting a little bit more doggy. :(
G.Mac wrote:So did Jockfest go ahead?, is there any pics for us to drool over?

Graeme (home for 5 days then away for 5 weeks :cry: :D :?: )

Graeme
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Unfortunately 'Jockfest' fell through, I was going to give Boyd a hand to install anew diff but that also fell through.............we should get something organised properly soon. I will be dismantling my car nearer August for some bodywork so the sooner the better :wink:
94 Porsche 993
97 Jeep -winter hack!
05 325 MSport Touring