ABS SENSOR / BOSCH PART NUMBER?

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DRPM635CSi

Re: ABS SENSOR / BOSCH PART NUMBER?

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Just a quick update on these. Still NLA and with no ETA on ever being available again. :shock: Advised by FCP Euro.

Pull your relays on your ABS pump and the globe from the instrument cluster dash warning light if your ABS doesn't work for unreliable front sensors.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Yes, but of those only one is claimed to be for the front axle of an E24 and it offers no information about what BMW or Bosch part number it is claimed to be equivalent to, It is hugely expensive too, such that you would not want to risk buying without an iron-clad guarantee in place that it could be returned for 100%+postage refund if it doesn't fit. I'm checking the details with the seller, but not holding my breath.

Edit: Seller has confirmed it's an E28 front pulse sensor, not E24 as described in ad. OEM part number is 34521154044
Last edited by DRPM635CSi on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I do see what you mean.

I think we have been through this before but IIRC the E28 (front axle) part

34 52 1 154 044

differs from the E24 part (34 52 1 154 064/34 52 1 179 981) in detail only; lead length or something. They fit to the same strut, they talk to the same ABS system.

This means that if you are prepared to splice/extend the cable (if necessary) then you should be able to make the E28 part fit OK.

There are several listings for part ALS1431 (which is equivalent to the E28 part); I found this handy x-ref

http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/5758701/bmw ... 54044.html

I think this is the E28 part
and this is the E24 part;

I've successfully spliced ABS leads on several other cars, but I've not had to do so on an E24 yet. The way things are going I think it is only a matter of time though...!

cheers
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

DRPM635CSi wrote: Pull your relays on your ABS pump and the globe from the instrument cluster dash warning light if your ABS doesn't work for unreliable front sensors.
This is ok to do with no ill effect? I've got the same problem with the bad sensor too. Haven't thought to take out the fuses or anything though.
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Brucey wrote:I do see what you mean.

I think we have been through this before but IIRC the E28 (front axle) part

34 52 1 154 044

differs from the E24 part (34 52 1 154 064/34 52 1 179 981) in detail only; lead length or something. They fit to the same strut, they talk to the same ABS system.

This means that if you are prepared to splice/extend the cable (if necessary) then you should be able to make the E28 part fit OK.

There are several listings for part ALS1431 (which is equivalent to the E28 part); I found this handy x-ref

http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/5758701/bmw ... 54044.html

I think this is the E28 part
and this is the E24 part;

I've successfully spliced ABS leads on several other cars, but I've not had to do so on an E24 yet. The way things are going I think it is only a matter of time though...!
I see a business opportunity for someone to make up extension/adapter M/F cables here to be able to use the E28 front sensors in an E24. Just a case of being able to source the cable and the M/F plug ends to create an extension piece of the right length that will maintain the correct insulation and EM shielding all the way through. I don't suppose the cable & connector types woud be exclusive to Bosch, or are they?
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

BamaE24 wrote:
DRPM635CSi wrote: Pull your relays on your ABS pump and the globe from the instrument cluster dash warning light if your ABS doesn't work for unreliable front sensors.
This is ok to do with no ill effect? I've got the same problem with the bad sensor too. Haven't thought to take out the fuses or anything though.
Yes, fine. The only ill-effect of course being that your ABS won't work anymore. The fuses are under the black cover of the ABS pump/valve block. There's a single flat countersunk screw right in the middle of the top of cover. Take that out and remove the cover. You'll see two relays there. Slowly wiggle them back and forth until you can gently remove them. Put the cover back on and you're good to go without an unnecessarily pulsing brake pedal anymore. Of course now though your orange ABS warning dash light will be permanently on, so if that annoys you, you'll have to remove that globe as well.
86C

Post by 86C »

The ABS sensor wires on the front of my car had perished and broken, but the sensors themselves were fine(reading the correct ohms etc). I got some twin core cable from my local DIY store of the correct grade and cut out the damaged section(about 50cm) then soldered and heatshrinked the joins I made and everything now works as it should again, a cheap and easy fix that could also be applied to the E28 sensors that have shorter wires :wink:
1989 BMW 635CSi Highline
1995 VW Corrado VR6 Storm
1994 VW Corrado VR6 (PD130 TDi project)
1971 VW Campervan
2005 VW Polo TDi Sport 130 Highline
1983 VW Polo C Classic
1981 VW Derby CLS G40
1972 VW 1302LS
1970 VW 1302S
1981 Suzuki ZR50X1
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

86C wrote:The ABS sensor wires on the front of my car had perished and broken, but the sensors themselves were fine(reading the correct ohms etc). I got some twin core cable from my local DIY store of the correct grade and cut out the damaged section(about 50cm) then soldered and heatshrinked the joins I made and everything now works as it should again, a cheap and easy fix that could also be applied to the E28 sensors that have shorter wires :wink:
Would you be kind enough to post what the correct cable is please, so I may attempt the same fix?
nicklondon

Post by nicklondon »

I'm sorry to dig up this old thread everyone but I'm still up a gumtree with front ABS Sensors for my M635 - still nothing from BMW or anyone else in the world, I've tried everywhere! The sensors I'm struggling with are BMW Part Number 34521179981 (Bosch 0265001038). Has anyone actually tried buying the E28 sensors and modifying the length of them as suggested previously? Any assistance with this would be really appreciated, I know I can pull the fuses from the ABS but I would rather fix the car than do that..

Thanks in advance
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

as I mentioned upthread, I have spliced ABS wires on other cars and it is really no problem at all. Depending on how you do it, you can have the splice near the suspension, or the other side of the wheelarch, where it will see less weather.

If you can use a soldering iron and know how to use heat-shrink insulation, you should find it a very easy job indeed.

cheers
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Brucey wrote:as I mentioned upthread, I have spliced ABS wires on other cars and it is really no problem at all. Depending on how you do it, you can have the splice near the suspension, or the other side of the wheelarch, where it will see less weather.

If you can use a soldering iron and know how to use heat-shrink insulation, you should find it a very easy job indeed.

cheers
Just need a source for the correct wire. Anyone know what it is?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

there is no need to buy wire; just use the wire (cut to a suitable length) -and the plug too- from the old sensor.

If you use the old plug and wire, there need only be one spliced joint this way, too.

cheers
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Brucey wrote:there is no need to buy wire; just use the wire (cut to a suitable length) -and the plug too- from the old sensor.
Hmmm, yes, I can see that logic, but these cars are all nearing at least 30+ years old now. The old wire insulation has no flexibility left. Even mine being a car that's spent the last 23 years in Australia with no snow and no sub-zero temperatures has almost none of the rubber shroud insulation left encasing the wires. Without the rubber encapsulation, it is unlikely to get a strong enough signal through to the ABS computer without being drowned out by EM noise.
TBM

Post by TBM »

I remember talking once to Alpinecsi and he has the direct source for most of the connectors that BMW uses...As for the wire if someone knows how to classify the sheath and wire type I think we can find something similar with everything that is out there..I will look into it...

Anyone know how to contact Alpinecsi at his shop??
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

TBM wrote:I remember talking once to Alpinecsi and he has the direct source for most of the connectors that BMW uses...As for the wire if someone knows how to classify the sheath and wire type I think we can find something similar with everything that is out there..I will look into it...

Anyone know how to contact Alpinecsi at his shop??
PM him maybe? I'm not even willing to try joining my old sensor cables to a new (shorter lead) one. I know it won't work. My existing sensor wire insulation is so crumbly now, it isn't flexible at all. Even just wiggling the wires as necessary to get them in/out of their holders and through the panel grommets results in handfuls of cracked rubber falling off in your hands. It's a lot of work joining the cables only to find you've wasted your time patching together something with old insulation.

If new cable of the correct gauge & sharp object impact protective insulation can be sourced (I've tried Bosch-Rexroth directly myself - no go), then the next step will be how to join it with as little electrical resistance impact as possible. My brother's an electrical engineer working for Bombardier and I'm thinking solder will not be the way to go. I think crimp on in-line cable ferules will be the ticket, wrapped in self-amalgamating 'Tommy Tape' up to the same level as the surrounding insulation and then overlapped with heat shrink obviously making sure the join is made at a section of the cable that isn't where there will need to be a tight radius curve.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Here is a range of cables that should be suitable on Element14.

Element14 clicky
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

baders wrote:Here is a range of cables that should be suitable on Element14.

Element14 clicky
Good god! Look at the prices though! You could buy a whole other car!
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

That's rolls of 100m. I posted the link to illustrate the cable types.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
85mvdelphinus

Post by 85mvdelphinus »

It looks like I have the same problem. The anti-lock brake light lit up two weeks ago and my shark is now at the shop. My mechanic advised that it's the ABS sensor and they are no longer available. I searched the internet and thought I'd found a solution at AutoZone (http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-trac ... 630_0_4222).

I drove to the AutoZone store to get a 10% discount and 2 day delivery but when the clerk tried to place the computer order it came back as "no longer available". It looks like back to square 1.

Does anyone have anything new on this subject? What are my options? Thanks!
1985 635CSi 5MT Delphin Grey/Pearl Beige

Does a guilt free shark have a feeling of remoras?
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by Bhart »

01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by Bhart »

They are aftermarket suppliers, but when all else fails, cross reference.
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Unfortunately that's the front pulse generators for an E28, not an E24. They are not the same. Not even for E28 chassis based E24. The cable is the wrong length. It needs to be longer for an E24. They're selling the closest thing you can still get, but you'll need to cut and splice in an extra length of cable somehow to make it work. I haven't tried doing this yet, but it'll probably need someone with better soldering skills than I possess to be able to do it without introducing significant extra resistance and EM noise into the joins.
85mvdelphinus

Post by 85mvdelphinus »

I ordered and received an ABS Speed Sensor from Intermotor that may work. It's part number ABS1541 and can be found at the below link:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/int ... icle=false

The wire length is 28 inches and appears to have the correct connector. I have an appointment August 17 for installation so I won't know until then. It listed for $135.99, less 20% discount, plus 8.25% CA sales tax or net price of $117.77. Photo attached.
Attachments
ABS Sensor.JPG
ABS Sensor.JPG (101.15 KiB) Viewed 16274 times

85mvdelphinus

Post by 85mvdelphinus »

Slight correction: It's an Intermotor part and I ordered it online from Advance Auto Parts. :-?