Stainless steel Brake bleeders / nipples - What thread?

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

tobes

Stainless steel Brake bleeders / nipples - What thread?

Post by tobes »

Hello,

I've found I've bought a car with a sheared off brake bleed screw (mutter, grumble), having found stainless steel replacements on ebay, I'm considering them as a way to avoid corrosion in the future. Does anyone have any experience?

Otherwise can anyone confirm the thread I need, please? The part number seems to be 34111153197. A bit of Googling suggests this can be replaced with a M7x1 threaded nipple, but I'd be happier if someone can confirm that, please?

Hmmm, joy a day of very careful drilling tomorrow, I think.

Thanks in advance!
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

This site is selling auto bleeders and gives the size as 7mx1.0:
http://www.speedbleeder.com/automobile_applications.htm
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I concur, M7 x 1 is the thread IIRC.

BTW my favoured method for this job is to always give a suspect bleed nipple a moderate tap downwards with a hammer before I start swinging on it. This seems to help enormously.

If sheared off I like to build up on the sheared face with very delicate MIG deposit until I have enough to get purchase. The heat helps everything come loose, and I've not failed yet with this technique, even down to M5 threads (v tricky welding tho').

Stainless or not I like to put a few turns of PTFE tape on them when they go back in.

good luck

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tobes

Post by tobes »

Thanks guys, I like the idea of PTFE tape, I'll be using that one in future.

Brucy, I like the MIG idea, unfortunately it was sheared off quite a long way below the surface, I'm pretty sure I'd have ended up welding it to the bore, I'll try it next time I have one sheared off near the surface, though...
tobes

Re: Stainless steel Brake bleeders / nipples - What thread?

Post by tobes »

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

I've been rebuilding my rear axle this winter / spring and finally got round to getting the stainless brake nipples I've been meaning to buy for quite so long! I found some HEL branded ones on ebay for a reasonable price.

Another step closer to getting the old girl going again!
1984 635csi
1974 MG Midget
1955 Land Rover
Sometimes some of them run!